Catholic vs Oak Ridge: A Rivalry is Born

WilleTheWildcat

Can any of you name any of the great star players in those days who were not from Oak Ridge? Let me know and get back to me when you can name them and actually prove it. Better yet, name me some players from 1982. I bet you can't even do that. Don't speak on stuff you don't know jacksh^& about. The difference in OR in 1982 (or whatever year back then) and now is we had a ton more kids in this city at that time, that's the only thing. We have always played with kids from Oak Ridge, barring the few transfers that all teams get. A ton of talent in OR comes from the Scarboro Community. That's where 75% of our talent has come from(especially the last 40 years or so) and always has come from, except the years before desegregation took place. It's much like the Hall community in Alcoa. Frankly, we haven't ever had to recruit, because of that reason. I'll be waiting on a few of you to name some players you think weren't Oak Ridger's. 

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Can any of you name any of the great star players in those days who were not from Oak Ridge? Let me know and get back to me when you can name them and actually prove it. Better yet, name me some players from 1982. I bet you can't even do that. Don't speak on stuff you don't know jacksh^& about. The difference in OR in 1982 (or whatever year back then) and now is we had a ton more kids in this city at that time, that's the only thing. We have always played with kids from Oak Ridge, barring the few transfers that all teams get. A ton of talent in OR comes from the Scarboro Community. That's where 75% of our talent has come from(especially the last 40 years or so) and always has come from, except the years before segregation took place. It's much like the Hall community in Alcoa. Frankly, we haven't ever had to recruit, because of that reason. I'll be waiting on a few of you to name some players you think weren't Oak Ridger's. 

You guys have always had players from Oliver Springs, Clinton and across AC. My point about the other sports was I coached girls AAU in the OR program and am 100% positive they had some state titles with5 starters that didn't attend OR middle schools.

11 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

You guys have always had players from Oliver Springs, Clinton and across AC. My point about the other sports was I coached girls AAU in the OR program and am 100% positive they had some state titles with5 starters that didn't attend OR middle schools.

In the Prudden years in Girls Basketball, yes, we did have some girls from those areas. The main reason for that was Prudden's Assistant Coach Lynn Burkey was an AAU coach like you were and girls would come play for us because of that reason. But, all 5 starters? BS. You're talking to one of the biggest fans of OR sports on here. I can even name you most of the starters from those teams. In '94 the great players were Erin Young (born and raised OR), Shawnee Lenoir (born and raised OR), Jennifer McGinnis wasn't from here originally, but attended Robertsville JR High as well as her sister who starred for us a few years later. I can't remember all of the starters from that team, but I already debunked your argument about all 5 starters being out of town girls or not going to Jr High or Middle School here. Besides, that's girls basketball. What does that have to do with Boys basketball, and especially Oak Ridge football? Like I said, why speak on something and make claims that you're totally clueless about for the most part? BTW two of some of Catholic's really good players in football the past 20 years were from OR. Kyler Kerbyson and Drew Brisie about 20 years ago.

Edited by SweetScience

1 hour ago, catswild said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. The rumors were always out there that you refer to because VERY FEW TEAMS COULD BEAT US!  Our guys live in OR and they aren't "PAID TO PLAY"...and our best player didn't "move in" and get a scholarship. All that said, we still may beat Catholic anyway!

Our "best "player moved back to Knoxville and choose to attend a Catholic high school just like he did in Indiana. He didn't get a scholarship and unfortunately our recruiting budget doesn't allow for much out of state travel. LOL I'm sure you are aware that OR has allowed tuition athletes to attend for years.  Not saying they did anything illegal but knew how to utilize the system. Several players that have chosen to play at Catholic did so for the same reasons "outsiders" decided to go to OR, Maryville, Alcoa, et. al. Great education, facilities, coaches, winning programs and college exposure tend to attract good players. Is it a coincidence that all the schools I mentioned allow tuition athletes?

Looking forward to a good game. We've definitely played a schedule to get us ready for the post season run. I think the record of the teams we lost to this year are now 33-1 and should all win state titles.

3 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Our "best "player moved back to Knoxville and choose to attend a Catholic high school just like he did in Indiana. He didn't get a scholarship and unfortunately our recruiting budget doesn't allow for much out of state travel. LOL I'm sure you are aware that OR has allowed tuition athletes to attend for years.  Not saying they did anything illegal but knew how to utilize the system. Several players that have chosen to play at Catholic did so for the same reasons "outsiders" decided to go to OR, Maryville, Alcoa, et. al. Great education, facilities, coaches, winning programs and college exposure tend to attract good players. Is it a coincidence that all the schools I mentioned allow tuition athletes?

Looking forward to a good game. We've definitely played a schedule to get us ready for the post season run. I think the record of the teams we lost to this year are now 33-1 and should all win state titles.

You realize OR tuition is about 8,000 dollars don't you? One of the highest around in public schooling.

3 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

In the Prudden years in Girls Basketball, yes, we did have some girls from those areas. The main reason for that was Prudden's Assistant Coach Lynn Burkey was an AAU coach like you were and girls would come play for us because of that reason. But, all 5 starters? BS. You're talking to one of the biggest fans of OR sports on here. I can even name you most of the starters from those teams. In '94 the great players were Erin Young (born and raised OR), Shawnee Lenoir (born and raised OR), Jennifer McGinnis wasn't from here originally, but attended Robertsville JR High as well as her sister who starred for us a few years later. I can't remember all of the starters from that team, but I already debunked your argument about all 5 starters being out of town girls or not going to Jr High or Middle School here. Besides, that's girls basketball. What does that have to do with Boys basketball, and especially Oak Ridge football? Like I said, why speak on something and make claims that you're totally clueless about for the most part?

Considering I coached AAU with Coach Burkey for years I think I know what I'm talking about. Danielle Barnard, Whitley Campbell, 3 McGinnis sisters and several others were "outsiders". My memory is a little fuzzy after too many years and too many kids. LOL At some point I coached all those players you mentioned. You can add Joe Carson at the middle school as another reason they transferred in.  Again education, great facilities, tradition, success, and coaching are great reason to attend a school!

I'm an OR fan too and have always had great respect for your teams and traditions. Lots of respect for Aaron and Paige (which played in our AAU program too) on the basketball court.

10 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Please explain why Catholic is the ONLY private school with a decent football program playing the public school division?  You have a team loaded with D-1 talent and they just happen to go to Catholic with no financial aid (scholarships)???  I hope we can figure out a way to kick your behinds but the playing field is NOT level !!!

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

It is going to be a long week listening to how Catholic will beat Oak Ridge. I really can't argue with them because Catholic will certainly be the favorites. However, OR is playing great team ball with a lot of desire and togetherness.

There are only about 2 posters fromCatholic...myself and QSouth so any other posters are just stirring the pot.

12 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Considering I coached AAU with Coach Burkey for years I think I know what I'm talking about. Danielle Barnard, Whitley Campbell, 3 McGinnis sisters and several others were "outsiders". My memory is a little fuzzy after too many years and too many kids. LOL At some point I coached all those players you mentioned. You can add Joe Carson at the middle school as another reason they transferred in.  Again education, great facilities, tradition, success, and coaching are great reason to attend a school!

I'm an OR fan too and have always had great respect for your teams and traditions. Lots of respect for Aaron and Paige (which played in our AAU program too) on the basketball court.

Ok, but you said all 5 starters weren't from OR or didn't attend Middle School/Jr High here, so what exactly is your argument? BTW, the best player (argumentatively) in those years was Erin Wilson, a born and raised OR girl. A 2 time Ms. Basketball winner. But still, what does this have to do with OR recruiting in football? That was the main argument, at least I thought. 

22 minutes ago, catswild said:

Please explain why Catholic is the ONLY private school with a decent football program playing the public school division?  You have a team loaded with D-1 talent and they just happen to go to Catholic with no financial aid (scholarships)???  I hope we can figure out a way to kick your behinds but the playing field is NOT level !!!

Honest answer...We would have been placed in the large private school division with the nearest game being in Chattanooga and the bulk of our games in Nashville. We would have been one of the smallest large schools. We could compete but not necessarily win it in football if we truly started to recruit BUT every other sport would be at a serious disadvantage of having to travel through the week for district games. Not as big a deal for football since all the games are onFriday night. Think about the other athletes playing in Nashville on a school night on CST. It would be 2:00 a.m. Before they got home. Tough on the kids to maintain the academic standards. Also imagine the travel costs that would be involved for all the non-revenue sports... not financially feasible. 

Is is it a level playing field for the schools that don't allow out of zone athletes? Taking OR out of the mix (since you all say no out of OR city players are on the team) do Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton,AC have advantages over other schools that don't allow it?

Edited by IrishBBall