Catholic vs Oak Ridge: A Rivalry is Born

WilleTheWildcat

13 hours ago, WildcatRealist said:

Do you think all 11 of the players Catholic had on the field at one time were on scholarship/financial aid? What about the distinct advantage Oak Ridge enjoys week-in and week-out at the skilled positions (running back/receivers) versus most all of our opponents? Catholic has superior coaching and facilities-do you think if the players had switched uniforms prior to the season, Oak Ridge would have won? I don't...we had the state of Tennessee's 5A player of the year the last two seasons, and how did our playoff runs fare?

The answer is Catholic has 0 students on scholarship/financial aid. That's the only way we could stay in the public division. The few we had on work study either paid their own way or left.

Well some of Catholics argument to stay in public was travel. I understand they would have to go to Memphis a couple of times and Nashville also. Sorry but don't blame them, football is usually on Friday night but what about basketball? During the week travel ain't good. Just wish we didn't have to play them haha

15 hours ago, WildcatRealist said:

Do you think all 11 of the players Catholic had on the field at one time were on scholarship/financial aid? What about the distinct advantage Oak Ridge enjoys week-in and week-out at the skilled positions (running back/receivers) versus most all of our opponents? Catholic has superior coaching and facilities-do you think if the players had switched uniforms prior to the season, Oak Ridge would have won? I don't...we had the state of Tennessee's 5A player of the year the last two seasons, and how did our playoff runs fare?

Don't really know.  I do know this, if even 1 of them was, they would be ineligible to play. We had advantages at the skill positions against every team we played except Farragut, Fulton and Catholic.  Having talent at skill positions only takes you so far; there must be quality linemen to go along with them.  We have had a dearth of linemen ever since Gaddis has been back.  Fortunately, that is changing.  Again, I am very pleased at how our team grew and how they were coached this year.

48 minutes ago, bounder said:

Well some of Catholics argument to stay in public was travel. I understand they would have to go to Memphis a couple of times and Nashville also. Sorry but don't blame them, football is usually on Friday night but what about basketball? During the week travel ain't good. Just wish we didn't have to play them haha

Thank you Bounder! At least basketball kicks in some revenue. Imagine the costs for tennis, volleyball, etc that currently  operate at a loss with no travel. Going to Chattanooga was bad enough during the school week plus you have no fans at the away games except parents...hard to build any rivalries that way. In addition to the travel cost a big concern from an academic standpoint was class time lost leaving early.