Coach Morris is stepping down

SHHS87

11 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Rod Smith or McConnell from Waverly. I know itwill not be either one but it would be great.  They already have their guy picked. Just have to have the meeting to dot the i's and cross the t's. 

I agree that Smith would've been great, and maybe later in his career he will "come home"...McConnell has probably opened himself up for schools to "come after" him with offers by putting his application in for the job at Milan, and I believe that he would've been great there too. His offensive strategy is progressive for Tn. high schools, but I think that will be the trend for successful teams in the future. McConnell has done great things at Waverly, and is "home" there, but I think that sometime in the near future someone will make him an offer that will be hard to refuse.

Anyway...good to hear that it's coming to a close in a timely manner. From experience, early summer just ain't a good time to be without a coach, and I have confidence that with all the choices available, and the focus to win, that Milan will be fine with whomever they choose.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

From the name that I heard this is going to be a home run hire for the dawgs. He has several State titles in multiple states. Does nothing but win them. 

Yep. 100%. By the way.... you missed it.... one of his requests was I had to run the 40 in my skinny jeans!!!  Did in 4.38..... Days!!!!

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

26 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Yup. Showed up at a school very close to Milan and guaranteed one in 2 years did it his first year and left. 

If I was Milan I would run from him.  Yes he produces results but he won't be around for the long haul. Too many younger qualified coaches have put in for this job that will stay for a long time.  But unfortunately he is being looked at very seriously.  And for what it's worth.. When he won his TN championship he lost too Milan. :)

38 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

If I was Milan I would run from him.  Yes he produces results but he won't be around for the long haul. Too many younger qualified coaches have put in for this job that will stay for a long time.  But unfortunately he is being looked at very seriously.  And for what it's worth.. When he won his TN championship he lost too Milan. :)

Woods Peabody 2014

I agree.

Edited by riverrat
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Kinda of my thoughts as well.... If he committed to being here for several years I would be ok with it. I personally would not want him if he is a one and done. 

7 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Kinda of my thoughts as well.... If he committed to being here for several years I would be ok with it. I personally would not want him if he is a one and done. 

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=42241

May 27, 2015 10:39:54 AM

STARKVILLE -- New Starkville High School football coach Ricky Woods sees his latest career stop ending in one of two ways. 

"They will either fire me or retire me," Woods said. 

While the comment was made in jest, Woods used his introductory news conference at the Starkville Athletic Center to bring home the point that this would be the last job of his highly decorated coaching career. 

"I feel like I have come home now," Woods said. "I told my wife (Susan) that this was my last stop. I have carried her around to three states. It's time to quit all of that. I am here for as long as they want me to be here." 

The Starkville School District school board confirmed the hiring of Woods at a board meeting Friday. Also Tuesday, new athletic director Milton Smith was introduced. Starkville Principal David Baggett called the hiring of Woods and Smith "not home run hires, but grand slam hires." 

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=54332

November 17, 2016 10:51:48 AM

STARKVILLE -- Starkville High School football coach Ricky Woods has resigned and will take over as the Eupora High coach next season, according to multiple sources. 

Woods didn't return multiple phone calls seeking comment. Woods coached at Eupora High for five seasons from 1990-94. 

One source said Woods, an Ackerman native, wanted to be closer to family. 

Eupora High Athletic Director Stephen Edwards, who also serves as the school's football coach, didn't return multiple phone calls seeking comment. 

Starkville High Athletic Director Milton Smith said he hadn't talked to Woods as of Wednesday afternoon when the news broke. 

"I have no idea. I haven't talked to him. For him to be leaving, I hope (I get to talk to him)," Smith said. 

Woods, who was inducted into the Mississippi Association of Coaches Hall of Fame before this season, spent the last two seasons at Starkville High. He won the Mississippi High School Activities Association (MHSAA) Class 6A State championship last season with a record of 14-1, the lone loss coming at Noxubee County in double overtime in the season opener. The Yellow Jackets finished 7-4 and 4-3 in Region 2. They are the first reigning Class 6A State champion to miss the playoffs. 

Woods coached for five seasons at South Panola High and helped the Tigers win four consecutive MHSAA Class 5A titles from 2003-06. He finished 74-1 and won 60-consecutive games at one point at the school. He also won championships at Ackerman in 1997 and 2001. 

Before coming to Starkville, Woods served two seasons at Trenton Peabody (Tenn.). After South Panola, Woods spent one year at Bainbridge (Ga.) before taking over at Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, where he served five seasons (2008-12). 

Edited by riverrat

5 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Think about this. He was at Poohbooty.... I mean Peabody for 1 year and then Starkville MS for 1 year (in which he won a state title) and then left and went to South Panola for now 2 years. 

But I can confirm he did apply and is being negotiated with. Will know for sure later today.