William blount offseason thread

19 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Maryville has only played Lanier twice winning both games 13-0 in 66 and 19-14 in 67. Friendsville tried their luck in 1964 against Maryville's AP State Champions and got whacked 41-0 then got another whacking 32-6 in 1965.

Barney, you are way more knowledgeable about these things than I am, but for some reason I was almost positive that Lanier won one of those games. Seems like Coach Shepard told me or I saw it on some database at one time. I'll see if I can find my source ,of course my source could be wrong, but I'm curious now.

I've been told there are a number of linemen on the team who weigh 275+ now after another offseason in the weight room. Hopefully, that will translate to more attitude and physicality on the football field this fall. Last year we didnt get the best of anyone up front. Not even Lenoir City and they were tiny.

6 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Barney, you are way more knowledgeable about these things than I am, but for some reason I was almost positive that Lanier won one of those games. Seems like Coach Shepard told me or I saw it on some database at one time. I'll see if I can find my source ,of course my source could be wrong, but I'm curious now.

Played Maryville twice. Maryville didn’t score till 4th quarter in game one. Maryville had to come from behind in the second half to win game number two. Both games were hard fought great games. 

29 minutes ago, moonie said:

Played Maryville twice. Maryville didn’t score till 4th quarter in game one. Maryville had to come from behind in the second half to win game number two. Both games were hard fought great games. 

Moonie I was telling Hammer offline on FB that I bet Lanier must of won the battle but lost the war in one of those games. Lanier had some pretty good teams back in the 60's for sure.  When I was little we lived right across the street from Everett High Football Field and I can still remember you all playing the Civitan Bowl Game against Jefferson City 28-0 in 1967 when you all went 9-2 that year.

On 3/20/2018 at 0:48 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Greenback didn't start playing football until 1957 and had 22 different contest with Friendsville and Lanier. Friendsville was 13-8-1 with Greenback and Lanier went 15-6-1. I was talking to a man last week that played on the first Greenback team in 57 and he told me Loudon County donated most of their equipment that was extras from the other two high schools. He said his helmet was to big for his head and he only weighed 125 pounds and was on the line against a Friendsville player that weighed 250. He told me everytime he got up off the ground his nose was sticking through the ear hole of his helmet. I really think what helped Lanier the last three years more than anything was that Coach McMahan was an assistant there and he was a great coach in my opinion. He had good teams at Heritage and William Blount when he was the head coach for those programs.

Those are a lot better records than Catlick ever had against Greenback.

Just keeping it real.

9 hours ago, moonie said:

So Maryville did win both games? I was told Lanier won the 1st one. Again, I'm not saying this is correct, I'm just wanting the info. Did you play on those teams?

9 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

When I was little we lived right across the street from Everett High Football Field and I can still remember you all playing the Civitan Bowl Game against Jefferson City 28-0 in 1967 when you all went 9-2 that year.

When did the city annex Everett Hills and Plain Field ( Jefferson, Irwin, Monroe, Madison Streets etc...)?