#1 Greeneville Vs. Marshall County!

DevilMan03

Just my thoughts.I wasn't there and don't know how many of the 2nds were in at the end of the game.Coach Ballard will run it wide open with the backups for sure and that's the only way for them to be prepared if a starter gets hurt.Now,this past week was also the semi final and coach knows better then most on how to get his team ready for the big game.It may take four quarters or even more to win next week.

• Upvote 1

Here is why Coach Ballard was throwing at that point in the game:

Marshall County scored late to make the game 42-24 with a little over 2 minutes left in the game.  At that point, it is a 3 possession game, and there is virtually no chance of Marshall County getting onside kick, scoring, getting another onside kick, scoring, getting another onside kick, and scoring.  That is what would have needed to happen for Marshall County to win.  Nonetheless, Marshall County decided to go for the onside kick to prolong the game.  In the coaching community, if the other team is still onside kicking, all bets are off, and the entire playbook is fair game.  And that is because the other coach must genuinely believe he has a chance to come back and win the game if he is still onside kicking.  If the other coach still believes his team can come back, then you better keep coaching and calling plays like the outcome is still in question.

Aside from the onside kicking issue- if you don't like the other team running the score up, then play defense and stop them from scoring.  Marshall County still had their starters on the field, and I may be wrong, but i bet the Marshall County coach had no issues with Greeneville throwing at that point in the game.  The people crying about it are fans and radio guys who just want something to complain about.  The players practice and prepare all year for 10-15 chances to play on Friday nights, and they shouldn't have to worry about hurting the other team's feelings.  

Despite the world we live in these days, everyone shouldn't get a trophy! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeeJay32 said:

Marshall County scored late to make the game 42-24 with a little over 2 minutes left in the game.  At that point, it is a 3 possession game, and there is virtually no chance of Marshall County getting onside kick, scoring, getting another onside kick, scoring, getting another onside kick, and scoring.  That is what would have needed to happen for Marshall County to win.  Nonetheless, Marshall County decided to go for the onside kick to prolong the game.  In the coaching community, if the other team is still onside kicking, all bets are off, and the entire playbook is fair game.  And that is because the other coach must genuinely believe he has a chance to come back and win the game if he is still onside kicking.  If the other coach still believes his team can come back, then you better keep coaching and calling plays like the outcome is still in question.

Aside from the onside kicking issue- if you don't like the other team running the score up, then play defense and stop them from scoring.  Marshall County still had their starters on the field, and I may be wrong, but i bet the Marshall County coach had no issues with Greeneville throwing at that point in the game.  The people crying about it are fans and radio guys who just want something to complain about.  The players practice and prepare all year for 10-15 chances to play on Friday nights, and they shouldn't have to worry about hurting the other team's feelings.  

The only thing I have against it is I think I predicted the game 42-24.HA

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DeeJay32 said:

Game was 42-17 when the last touchdown was scored by Greeneville to make it 49-17. MC scored last to make the final 49-24. 

I'm not miffed. I just think its in poor taste to run the score up. The touchdown was useless. If it had been a run OR even a pass by the 2nd QB I have no problem with it. That's why those guys practice all week too. It is the opponents job to stop you. But up 42-17 with 2 mins left there is no reason to be throwing and definitely no reason your starting QB is in the game, much less throwing on 4 and 7. 

It is what it is. I'm just saying that is not things coaches take lightly. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DeeJay32 said:

Marshall County tried an onside kick with about 6 minutes left in the game when they made it 42-17.  Greeneville scored on the pass that is being discussed with about 2:30 left in the game to make it 49-17.  Marshall County scored again and tried another onside kick with about a minute left and the score 49-24.  

I think the issue that is being pointed out isn't Greeneville throwing the ball there although I think most teams will run the ball.  I think it is the fact that Greeneville was using starters to take shots at the endzone with 2:30 left in the game.  Maybe looks like running up the score because starters were still in the game, but I don't see a huge issue with it.  I would like to think most coaches would have run the clock out there, but it's the Greeneville coach's decision based on what how he felt the game was going.  I don't follow Greeneville enough to know, but I'm sure the decision was made because it was a semifinal game, and I doubt Greeneville does that all season.  

1 minute ago, mcfan10 said:

Marshall County tried an onside kick with about 6 minutes left in the game when they made it 42-17.  Greeneville scored on the pass that is being discussed with about 2:30 left in the game to make it 49-17.  Marshall County scored again and tried another onside kick with about a minute left and the score 49-24.  

I think the issue that is being pointed out isn't Greeneville throwing the ball there although I think most teams will run the ball.  I think it is the fact that Greeneville was using starters to take shots at the endzone with 2:30 left in the game.  Maybe looks like running up the score because starters were still in the game, but I don't see a huge issue with it.  I would like to think most coaches would have run the clock out there, but it's the Greeneville coach's decision based on what how he felt the game was going.  I don't follow Greeneville enough to know, but I'm sure the decision was made because it was a semifinal game, and I doubt Greeneville does that all season.  

They don’t 

• Like 1

our offense lined up with every intention of running the ball but cade saw a chance to leave no doubt about the outcome and he took it...that's my feeling on it...ofcourse i may be way way off, but eithe way, offense is suppose to try to score and defense is suppose to try to stop the offense. their defense had no success all night stopping our offense, so i suspect we might have score on that play even if we had ran...so i ask you, would THAT have been running up the score?

13 hours ago, SPRedRaider said:

Game was 42-17 when the last touchdown was scored by Greeneville to make it 49-17. MC scored last to make the final 49-24. 

I'm not miffed. I just think its in poor taste to run the score up. The touchdown was useless. If it had been a run OR even a pass by the 2nd QB I have no problem with it. That's why those guys practice all week too. It is the opponents job to stop you. But up 42-17 with 2 mins left there is no reason to be throwing and definitely no reason your starting QB is in the game, much less throwing on 4 and 7. 

It is what it is. I'm just saying that is not things coaches take lightly. 

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I think everyone on here is merely responding to the comment that was made about running the score up and giving their respective opinions. Your opinion is that throwing late and scoring the TD was in poor taste.  And not surprisingly, the Greeneville fans disagree.  And unless someone reached out to you asking for your opinion, you were not prompted.  You are chiming in just like everyone else on these message boards.  If chiming in and providing an opinion is being defensive, then everyone is guilty of that.

• Upvote 1