Griders pirates in 2018

Roy Dillard

21 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

My thoughts exactly.  Quite an undertaking also.

So many Pirate alumni that do so many of the little thing's some other people never think about and we should all be thankful for all the one's that make SPHS  the best it can be.  Some people may not be able to do much but they can show up and support the Pirates at any event.  

17 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

Calm down Bassy. It was actually just a joke for allaboutthew. Nothing to get too excited about yet.

Speaking of drones is Coach Grider going to return the favor this year and let us fly ours???

I would still like to know exactly what you mean.  As for the drones? Wasn’t there a problem with SPs last season? I was thinking some guy from Marion came and got pretty mad at the SP drone pilot. I remember a ruckus in the endzone over it. Does anyone know is SP even using one again this season? Has it been at scrimmages?

Edited by TheAmbassador

23 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I would still like to know exactly what you mean.  As for the drones? Wasn’t there a problem with SPs last season? I was thinking some guy from Marion came and got pretty mad at the SP drone pilot. I remember a ruckus in the endzone over it. Does anyone know is SP even using one again this season? Has it been at scrimmages?

No there wasn't any problem with sp flying it at MC last year. There may have been some rail birds giving him grief about it though. Dade didn't let us fly it last night. 

You may be thinking about Greenback because they grounded it.

Edited by PurplePower68

6 minutes ago, PurplePower68 said:

No there wasn't any problem with sp flying it at MC last year. There may have been some rail birds giving him grief about it though. Dade didn't let us fly it last night. 

Yep,the refs did.

Edited by orngnblk

12 minutes ago, PurplePower68 said:

There was a bit of a problem early on during the game in Jasper. I remember officials, possibly even law, talking to Vic about it. I don't remember just what it was though. He had gotten clearance from the coaches before the game though so that was why there was a big stink raised over it ... We had permission and still the use of it was called into question. 

It will be interesting to watch with two drones flying though. 

8 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

There was a bit of a problem early on during the game in Jasper. I remember officials, possibly even law, talking to Vic about it. I don't remember just what it was though. He had gotten clearance from the coaches before the game though so that was why there was a big stink raised over it ... We had permission and still the use of it was called into question. 

Legally you're not supposed to fly a drone over people that are not involved with the actual operation of it and I can understand where they're coming from on it. Potential for injury is there. That's an FAA rule.

We won't be flying at games. (At least that was my understanding)

Edited by PurplePower68

2 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I have in the past filmed some JR high games back in the day and the drones are the way to go for sure now.  You can get so much to look at. There's no spying like alot of no it all's  think. As long as it doesn't interfere with the game I say let them fly.  Yeah I remember some Barney Fife's trying to put there two cents worth in it and had no idea Coach Mathis and the school was ok with it. 

2 minutes ago, sportman said:

I have in the past filmed some JR high games back in the day and the drones are the way to go for sure now.  You can get so much to look at. There's no spying like alot of no it all's  think. As long as it doesn't interfere with the game I say let them fly.  Yeah I remember some Barney Fife's trying to put there two cents worth in it and had no idea Coach Mathis and the school was ok with it. 

I think they're great for the game. I had no problem with it personally. I thought if the coaches were ok with it nothing should be said. There is a gray area with them though. Flying over people and at one point there was a 3 mile rule for stadiums. Not sure that's even enforced though.

3 minutes ago, PurplePower68 said:

Legally you're not supposed to fly a drone over people that are not involved with the actual operation of it and I can understand where they're coming from on it. Potential for injury is there. That's an FAA rule.

We won't be flying at games.

Our pilot always kept the drone away from everyone and behind the play's if you watched it.  Yes the coachs know all those rules, but if it upset's the other team, it's there call but at home we will continue to use it and be safe. 

2 minutes ago, sportman said:

Our pilot always kept the drone away from everyone and behind the play's if you watched it.  Yes the coachs know all those rules, but if it upset's the other team, it's there call but at home we will continue to use it and be safe. 

Oh I noticed he always stayed behind the plays. Like I said I have no problem with it but I think you will see more opposition this year from teams.