Individual State?

whoAMi01

33 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

Maybe a little! Haha but tomorrow all bets are off

Honestly said it jokingly. The dual chat was getting too heated. People need to realize we are talking about high schoolers. Just depends who steps out there wanting to do what it takes to win the match/dual. Also, some times it has to do with coaches/parents counting their eggs before they hatch. 

3 hours ago, whoAMi01 said:

Honestly said it jokingly. The dual chat was getting too heated. People need to realize we are talking about high schoolers. Just depends who steps out there wanting to do what it takes to win the match/dual. Also, some times it has to do with coaches/parents counting their eggs before they hatch. 

There will be a lot of good ones, but sometimes I feel the duals are tougher on kids especially if you're on one of the better teams. The chance of wrestling multiple tough matches in one day as opposed to the individual tournament where it's possible to catch a break with an upset affecting the bracket can be harder IMO.

Edited by JSamson7

27 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

There will be a lot of good ones, but sometimes I feel the duals are tougher on kids especially if you're on one of the better teams. The possibility of wrestling multiple tough matches in one day as opposed to the individual tournament where it's possible catch a break with an upset affecting the bracket can be harder IMO.

JSampon, we’ve been n the same page all night....I do believe the “mental pressure” of the individual tourney can certainly make up for the lack of back to back high quality opponents.

That said....the second day of the individual AAA state tourney is brutal, for sure.

3 minutes ago, Twofdr said:

JSampon, we’ve been n the same page all night....I do believe the “mental pressure” of the individual tourney can certainly make up for the lack of back to back high quality opponents.

That said....the second day of the individual AAA state tourney is brutal, for sure.

I agree, but some of those early round matches are more like pre game warm ups IMO. Most of those top dual teams are stacked from top to bottom and the added pressure of winning for your team can be tough too.

IMO I disagree jsamson7. I have seen a lot of tough kids come out thinking pre game match and get beat, the 3 days of making weight be a mental struggle, and the pressure being more in dual? I disagree because if you slack 10% in a dual you have a teammate that can wrestle 110% and make up for that difference. If you only give 90% in the individual tournament you have no one to pick you up, and no one to toss blame on. I believe that is more pressure than a dual, but again that's my own personal opinion! 

I will say this. Individuals will have several teams make some noise that were not at the duals. 

Which region has most state champs? Most medalist? Can another region knock off region 4 total regions? 

Bradley will bring it at individuals!!! 

Also. Mt juliet, Clarksville, Rossview, Summit. Independence. Bartlett. Walker valley. East Hamilton. Just to name a few 

12 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

I agree, but some of those early round matches are more like pre game warm ups IMO. Most of those top dual teams are stacked from top to bottom and the added pressure of winning for your team can be tough too.

The state tournament has been watered down (A/AA & D2 are in separate divisions) due to political correctness and that is why the early round matches are warm up matches.  The wrestling community should push the TSSAA to return the individual state tournament to EVERYONE IS INCLUDED.  Begin with having a district tournament, region tournament and finally a 32 man seeded bracket at the state tournament.  If you did this you would begin to see upsets in both the round of 32 and definitely the round of 16.

• Like 1

I agree, this may date me a little bit but when I was in high school there were no classification splits. Duals had them, but even then there were only 8 teams instead of sixteen. The year after I graduated was the last year of no public-private splits and the AAA state duals was IMO tougher than it is today.

However, other states have their wrestlers in multiple classifications and I suppose it works for them. I still prefer one class here in TN and one of the main reasons I like our MS system is because there are no splits thus giving you a "true champion" if you want to call them that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

The state tournament has been watered down (A/AA & D2 are in separate divisions) due to political correctness and that is why the early round matches are warm up matches.  The wrestling community should push the TSSAA to return the individual state tournament to EVERYONE IS INCLUDED.  Begin with having a district tournament, region tournament and finally a 32 man seeded bracket at the state tournament.  If you did this you would begin to see upsets in both the round of 32 and definitely the round of 16.

I agree

I know of D2 state placers who never stood on a tournament podium but we're  "given" a state tourney medal !

Edited by HSDAD
Error

3 minutes ago, HSDAD said:

I agree

I know of D2 state placers who never stood on a tournament podium but we're  "given" a state tourney medal !

I cannot disagree with your statement.  At the same time I know of D1AAA state champions that would have been lucky to place in the top 4 of the region and even qualify for the state tournament.  Lets not forget that you only had 4 regions in the state and you had to place in the top 4 of the region to make it to the state tournament.  It really has gone both ways.  There have also been A/AA kids that would have had a great opportunity to win a state title.