Greeneville @ DB

I hope coach Christian get's everything going for the Tribe.I congratulated him a couple weeks ago and wish him all the best this year .This is the  school both my youngest kids competed for in several different sports and I have even pulled against the Devils when my kids were on the field or mat for the Tribe and it was still hard watching those young men lose last year for DB.As I have said and will continue to say,a win isn't the most important thing for either of our teams.It's getting better and ready for the playoffs.DB and SH will both be great games loaded with athletes and that will help us prepare for those teams that we know about like Elizabethton and AC ,plus those that always jump up your not expecting come playoff time.No doubt,any 6A team in east Tennessee has to look at Maryville as the team you have to beat .Regular season games like Greeneville and Alcoa for Dobyns Bennett might not be the same but it atleast gives them a look at another well coached team that knows how to play the game at it's highest level.I know we have some fans that get excited in Greeneville but coming up here to Kingsport and beating Dobyns Bennett  is something that probably less the 3% of those Devil fans making the trip this year have ever seen in their life time.What our coaches have done and where they have put Greeneville on the football map is just awesome.We have always had some fine athletes but have never put it together like this.The thing that DB and SH have that Greeneville doesn't is well over 2000 students and there is a crap load of great athletes walking the halls every year .If coach Christian can get all his athletes out for football this year,I'm not going to bet against DB in any game.Last year everyone thought DB was loaded and they were .As I always beat the dead horse however,there were several kids in that class that either moved or wouldn't play that would have started for the Devils or the Tribe.Five on either side of the line including what UK is saying is their best bet to make the NFL in four years.In other words,Greeneville wouldn't want to see coach Christian get all those studs out in the future but if he does,it will only help us get prepared .

No doubt Greeneville will be favored in the opener.  They return a tough State Champion team almost fully intact.  However, here are some facts that must be considered.  

1.   The tribe passed for 270 yards last year against the Devils.  Several receivers graduated, but QB returns.

2.   The tribe rushed pretty much at will for three quarters last year.  All three backs return, including #30 who rushed for 1700 yards last year.   While three OLinemen graduated, the tribe will return three with heavy experience, and will average very close to 300# up front.

3.  The game will be in J Fred, probably in front of 8-10,000 people once again.

Devils favored yes, but DB will be no pushover, and crazier things have happened for this bunch of young hungry kids.  DB pushed that State Team to the limit last year, and everyone in Greeneville knows it.  Strap em on.

9 hours ago, johndeere said:

No doubt Greeneville will be favored in the opener.  They return a tough State Champion team almost fully intact.  However, here are some facts that must be considered.  

1.   The tribe passed for 270 yards last year against the Devils.  Several receivers graduated, but QB returns.

2.   The tribe rushed pretty much at will for three quarters last year.  All three backs return, including #30 who rushed for 1700 yards last year.   While three OLinemen graduated, the tribe will return three with heavy experience, and will average very close to 300# up front.

3.  The game will be in J Fred, probably in front of 8-10,000 people once again.

Devils favored yes, but DB will be no pushover, and crazier things have happened for this bunch of young hungry kids.  DB pushed that State Team to the limit last year, and everyone in Greeneville knows it.  Strap em on.

Everyone knows it will be a good game and DB is never a pushover (How could you be with over 2,000 students).  The biggest difference in last years game was forcing turnovers.  Yes Redwine threw for 258 yards but the Greeneville D forced two Int. (One was on a QB hurry that was lofted over the middle and the other was a tipped ball by our DE that Youngblood caught).  The Greeneville D also forced a fumble inside the redzone that stalled a DB drive in the first half.  Greeneville was the more well conditioned team and showed in the 2nd half and played turnover free football.  Can't wait to see this years game because it will be another good one! 

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Everyone knows it will be a good game and DB is never a pushover (How could you be with over 2,000 students).  The biggest difference in last years game was forcing turnovers.  Yes Redwine threw for 258 yards but the Greeneville D forced two Int. (One was on a QB hurry that was lofted over the middle and the other was a tipped ball by our DE that Youngblood caught).  The Greeneville D also forced a fumble inside the redzone that stalled a DB drive in the first half.  Greeneville was the more well conditioned team and showed in the 2nd half and played turnover free football.  Can't wait to see this years game because it will be another good one! 

someone ask william blount and heritage the same thing.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, madhatter2269 said:

someone ask william blount and heritage the same thing.

The number of students in a school doesn't have a whole lot to do with how good your football team is going to be. Don't make me prove it (again). Heck DB only has about 400 students to build a football team from. All the rest are in the band.

Also I noticed that johndeer never mentioned anything about the DB defense. I'll keep pointing it out until u-all get it. Always a good offense...….defense has been terrible for years.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

Defense....  Hmmmm…..    I have said for a few years that if you score 35, you should win.  At times the tribe has not.    I will say that the defense improved some last year, mostly due to the behind the scenes help of Coach Colobro, who has several decades of coaching, and at least three state championships to his name in previous jobs.   He will be back again to help.  DB lost a couple of blue chip linebackers and some good defenders, and will have to rebuild, or replace at least half of the defense from last year.  The good news that I hear is that the new staff has captured 3 or 4 great athletes from the halls, and returned them to the turf, and most will play immediately.  I agree with WaCo.  This has been an ongoing problem, and will continue this year to some extent.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:00 AM, WaCoJaCo said:

The number of students in a school doesn't have a whole lot to do with how good your football team is going to be. Don't make me prove it (again). Heck DB only has about 400 students to build a football team from. All the rest are in the band.

Also I noticed that johndeer never mentioned anything about the DB defense. I'll keep pointing it out until u-all get it. Always a good offense...….defense has been terrible for years.

it was more or less of a joke. loosen up your pants.

Ok guys, here is the talk around the water cooler...   It could be said that last year the band parents and supporters as well as the average fan was rather ho-hum about the Greeneville loss.   But there were a handful, a hardcore few, who took it very personal, even more so than losing to the Hill yet again.   So the word on the street is that Greeneville will see a much different DB team when they come rolling into Kingsport.   Now, what does that mean as far as X's and O's?    Is it a new physicality?    A new attitude?     More swagger?    Who knows, maybe its just talk, but then again....

86535332.jpg