Greeneville @ DB

4 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Ok guys, here is the talk around the water cooler...   It could be said that last year the band parents and supporters as well as the average fan was rather ho-hum about the Greeneville loss.   But there were a handful, a hardcore few, who took it very personal, even more so than losing to the Hill yet again.   So the word on the street is that Greeneville will see a much different DB team when they come rolling into Kingsport.   Now, what does that mean as far as X's and O's?    Is it a new physicality?    A new attitude?     More swagger?    Who knows, maybe its just talk, but then again....

86535332.jpg

I've been on that street. There is no word there.

Like I said last year before that game ,I  really think it will be a toss-up again this year.That said,it wouldn't surprise me if either team got some breaks and won big,and yes it could be either team.One thing we all know for sure is that one of the best bands in the United States will be there.So,if you like football or seeing one of the best bands at any level,this is the game for you.

Went back recently and watched BVD's video of the DB/GHS game from last year.   Seems like the some of the DB gang says the game hinges on a bad pass interference call against the Tribe, and perhaps they are correct.   Some have even said things like home-cooking...    For starters, I was NOT at this game, and yes we all know how sometimes things get blown out of proportion.   We have all seen blown calls in HS games, its just going to happen but I always try to give the zebras the benefit of the doubt and think that most of the time it evens out in the end.   I catch a DB game about once a year and I cannot remember a bad call ever in Kingsport.    Now that is only 1 out of 5 every year so not indicative of each season.    A couple of Greeneville fans have said that the pass interference was a bad call, but they also said that DB was gassed in the 2nd half and just could not keep up, so in the end it didn't matter.     Just wondering if there are any thoughts from someone who was at the game, not getting it secondhand like most of us on this board....    And also, was the officiating last year really that big a deal, and are the refs going to be under extra scrutiny on Aug 17?

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Went back recently and watched BVD's video of the DB/GHS game from last year.   Seems like the some of the DB gang says the game hinges on a bad pass interference call against the Tribe, and perhaps they are correct.   Some have even said things like home-cooking...    For starters, I was NOT at this game, and yes we all know how sometimes things get blown out of proportion.   We have all seen blown calls in HS games, its just going to happen but I always try to give the zebras the benefit of the doubt and think that most of the time it evens out in the end.   I catch a DB game about once a year and I cannot remember a bad call ever in Kingsport.    Now that is only 1 out of 5 every year so not indicative of each season.    A couple of Greeneville fans have said that the pass interference was a bad call, but they also said that DB was gassed in the 2nd half and just could not keep up, so in the end it didn't matter.     Just wondering if there are any thoughts from someone who was at the game, not getting it secondhand like most of us on this board....    And also, was the officiating last year really that big a deal, and are the refs going to be under extra scrutiny on Aug 17?

As a former Greeneville Player and still close to the program last years game was a tail of two halves.  DB drove down the field the first drive and scored on the Devils and I looked over to some other former players and said "This is going to be a long night if we keep getting pushed around like that".  The difference in the games was in the first half when our defensive end put his head on the ball and made Hicks fumble inside the redzone when DB was getting ready to score again.  DB led at the half 21 to 14 and DB never Scored again while Greeneville Scored 3 Td's in the 4th quarter and looked fresh while Forced two more DB Int's (One was a tipped ball that Youngblood caught, and the other was a forced short through across the middle because Goddard has beat the right tackle and Hite the safety slid underneath it).  The difference in the game was turnovers and Greeneville being the better conditioned team.  The game this year will be another good one!!!!

5 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Like any close game,there were several factors that played into the Devil win and Swipes I think done a pretty good job of hitting some things.I've  said it in a nice way from the first time I ever saw the DB strength program  years ago .For a huge school with plenty of money and great ficilities, It has needed some changes for a long time.I know a few of the strongest players over the last 15 years at DB have been home trained by their dads or somewhere away from DB.That may be different going forward with some new coaches  and a new head coach .If not, the smaller super football schools like Greeneville and Alcoa with their outstanding players and coaches will still be around in the 2nd half with a chance to win as they both did last year.Now as to bad calls,I  have seen many during DB games and at J fred I've seen DB get scrwed more then the team visiting by about 3 to 1,so that won't be a factor against the Devils but could be for DB .I hope it's a good  crew and neither team get's beat by bad calls and the team wearing the most green walks away with the W.