Turf war begins in Rutherford County

fredjones

3 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Welcome to the club, but I usually learn something from him everytime he posts.  LOL

You fellas are just being kind. I figured if we were going to have a dog in the fight we better prepare for the arguments as to why and why not. I guess when you are not asking for funding though they pretty much don't argue about it. Either way I would love to see our facilities began to compare to those on either side of the state. Watching Permian Panthers back home where I grew up play on turf since the mid 80's has me a bit spoiled. But then again every high school out there also has a visiting locker room right there just off the field. LOD I continue to lift you up in prayer for good health and Gods positive energy flow through you and your entire family.

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, fredjones said:

Was told tonight that the reason the Blackman/Florence game was moved to Florence was that Blackman is installing turf.

We hope to have turf soon, however I don't believe it will be until next season. There was a lot of things that had to fall in place at the right time that make me believe the move was more about not knowing if turf would go be installed and how far along would it be. We can't afford to not have a sound plan in place well in advance so I think just to avoid any timing issues it was moved. That being said, they have been watering , fertilizing and cleaning everything up as if the intent is to use it this year. I think it will be next year. Just my thoughts ... better to have done right than done right now.... 

11 hours ago, FootballFan51 said:

I believe Pilot Oil donated the $ for all public schools in Knox County to install turf a few years ago. 

I’m surprised no one in Nashville has done the same up there (although I guess this discussion is about Rutherford Co.)

Pilot was revving up their PR machine. If April 15th doesn't happen, I bet the fields wouldn't of happened. 

We can thank "unsophisticated" trucking companies and "manual" rebates for the Knox Co. public school fields.

Pilot's motto at this time was "FTC".

PT Barnum also, allegedly, stabbed our local Grantland Rice in the back for the commission on these fields. Knoxville is a dirty little town when it comes to quid pro quo. HOH 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, Blaze45 said:

So there is no "Real Turf" war going on in RuCo. What actally happened is the school admin, coaches and school board agreed upon is the school and parents, can go out and try to raise the 600k needed to install turf. They are not seeking county tax dollars or funds from the state. Essentially is a permission slip to try and raise the monies . I am hopeful that it happens and would love to see the school have turf and I believe it would be a great start to building the program .

Best of luck raising the money!  If the money is raised from outside sources and zero tax dollars are used I would make sure that the county does not cave and pay for the other schools to receive turf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

Pilot was revving up their PR machine. If April 15th doesn't happen, I bet the fields wouldn't of happened. 

We can thank "unsophisticated" trucking companies and "manual" rebates for the Knox Co. public school fields.

Pilot's motto at this time was "FTC".

PT Barnum also, allegedly, stabbed our local Grantland Rice in the back for the commission on these fields. Knoxville is a dirty little town when it comes to quid pro quo. HOH 

Metro Nashville Public Schools are lucky if they receive enough money to purchase 15 new footballs per season.  Field Turf is not even on the radar.

15 minutes ago, cbg said:

Best of luck raising the money!  If the money is raised from outside sources and zero tax dollars are used I would make sure that the county does not cave and pay for the other schools to receive turf.

I believe we have all the funds needed already secured from private donations. I don't think the county will go for that on all other schools however but  rather put the responsibility back on the program initially. The county was ok with us raising the money, primarily because they never thought it would happen. They may eventually cave but I see the argument being that new schools will take any major funding off the table for at least a couple more years 

1 hour ago, Blaze45 said:

I believe we have all the funds needed already secured from private donations. I don't think the county will go for that on all other schools however but  rather put the responsibility back on the program initially. The county was ok with us raising the money, primarily because they never thought it would happen. They may eventually cave but I see the argument being that new schools will take any major funding off the table for at least a couple more years 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if Oakland could find a way to raise funding for a indoor facility and a jumbotron, then I don't know why they wouldn't expect Blackman to be able to raise enough funds for field turf 

21 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if Oakland could find a way to raise funding for a indoor facility and a jumbotron, then I don't know why they wouldn't expect Blackman to be able to raise enough funds for field turf 

As I understand it the Jumbotron was funded primarily by 1 or 2 businessmen and they have used advertising dollars and sponsorship adds to pay for that. It has also become much tighter in how moneys are raised and dispersed throughout the county from days of old. I think the expectation was that raising the funds would be very difficult and met with resistance that would eventually deter the efforts.