South Pittsburg @ Sequatchie County

SCPRIDE30

13 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

From the poster named Sequatchie circa 2008 - 

"According to the book Sequatchie: A Story of the Southern Cumberlands by. J. Leonard Raulston and James W. Livingood, pub. 1974. Believes the name "Sequatchie" comes from the Cherokee word Su-quah meaning "hog trough" for which the valley resembles.

It also says the diffrent spellings come from the U.S. Cherokee Indian Agent Meigs in dispatches etc.. as he spelled it as Sequechee, Sequchee, Sequatchie, Sequichee and Sequeechee at one time or another in his journal or dispatches.

In the book Sequatchie County: A story of a place and its people by Henry R. Camp pub. 1984 and repub. in 1997. Says Most people of the county have been taught that the word Sequachee (one of the original spellings) meant "hog trough" in regards again to the valley appearance. Because it is believed that the Cherokee and Creek was using some form of the name prior to the De Soto expedition entered the valley which brought the first hogs the Indians had ever seen, so in his book it is said the word Sequachee probably means (Opossum, he grins or runs)

Both books refer to Colonel Return Jonathan Meigs the US Agent to the Cherokee in one of Meig's Journal from 1802 an entry shows he paid $5.00 to "Seqeechee, a Cherokee chief.

So the word probably comes from the Cherokee chief but the meaning of the word is really unknown.

"Sequatchie" is the proper spelling today as thats how the Valley, the county and the River are spelled. The only thing I know that really uses the spelling Sequachee today is the Sequachee Valley Electric Cooperative"

From a satellite view it looks like a huge hog trough has been carved out.  Were our ancestors that highly advanced to get such a view or did we have some type of help in that regard?

ancient-aliens-guy.jpg

29 minutes ago, StewieG73 said:

I think it will be a good game unless they are told to hold back again. They might be saving themselves for Upperman. 

That’s taking sarcasm to the highest level! As most have stated already, this should be a good hard fought game. 

Field condition could pose some problems but that could be for both teams. I’m sure the SP defense will get a heavy dose of that big RB/FB they have! May get to see how SP secondary can handle a passing attack. I still say SP is stingy on a running game. 

Hoping for a good showing from both teams with the Pirates coming out of Sequatchie with a win! Hopefully with no injuries for either team!

8 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

This game will be won by the hogs up front and the team that takes care of the pigskin.

You sir are correct! Sp needs to practice snapping the ball this week. Can't have those fumbles like I've seen in the jamboree and scrimmages

Edited by oneyewilly
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SCPRIDE30 said:

What makes you so sure of that? Because we are slow?? Idk why everyone thinks it’ll be a blow out. I guess cause we played like crap in the jamboree. 

We played like crap too. Didn't say blowout but if it's not real wet you get beat good. Sorry but it is what it is

• Like 1