Science Hill vs DB

WBNC83

6 minutes ago, toppernationfan said:

DB moved the ball very well against Oak Ridge. The turnovers killed them and led to easy scores. I was very impressed with DB after watching this game. They could have won without the mistakes or been a very close game. Tonight will be a fight.

HVA/OR was 9-0 at half and 16-0 late in the 3rd.  OR's last score was a hand out from a botched punt snap that left them on HVA 12 yard line.  HVA's only score was very late and was essentially 2v2's.  Wet, sloppy, week-1 play hampered both teams a bit.  HVA absolutely has to find some success in their run game to be in the running for a playoff spot, but the D has kept them in both games the first 2 weeks (very similar start to last year except they are sitting at 1-1 vs. 0-2 last year).  DB has some offensive options that could spark their improvement or flat line due to injury (see WaCo's comments).  I don't see DB's defense getting stronger any time soon though.

I expect SH to expose more of this tonight with their speedy skill players and power running game.  However other than Farragut, I don't see any obvious contenders in 1-6A so far this year - and even the Ads aren't proven.  Tonight will start to craft the story line for the papers, but I predict it will be week 6 or 7 before we really know who has a shot and who will be left behind in 1-6A.  

5 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

I respect your opinion BatmanDevil and DB has a lot of athletes, but the 2016 DB team lost to a 2-9 WB team by two scores.  2006 an undefeated 10-0 DB team lost to a 6-4 WB team in the 1st round of the playoffs and in 2001 and undefeated 10-0 DB team lost to a 5-5 WB team in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I think another undefeated DB team lost to McMinn in the 1st rd. I just can't get past the feeling that everyone gets caught up in the bells and whistles of the big school, huge band, great stadium, etc and over hypes the football program. I think the school got very comfortable being the big fish in a small pond.

When they face a competition hardened team, DB does not seem to respond well.

just my thoughts

Yep,McMinn co 2008,DB was 40 points better with the  ( right coach ) that night.Anyone at that game care to disagree

Edited by BatmanDevil

On 8/29/2018 at 11:14 AM, BatmanDevil said:

Dobyns Bennett has been a much bigger underdog in the past and won.A game in 2009 against Sullivan South who made it to the 5A semis and was undefeated going into the game, including a win over Greeneville { 4A final team }and in position to be the number one 5A team  in the state with a beat down of the hated Indians.Coacht members had  that DB team that was down picked to get beat by 60 at Sullivan South..When the truck smoke cleared out just after the half,DB went on to an easy 42-28 win that wasn't nearly as close as the score.

Stacy will find a way to lose this one just like the 09 DB/South game. He was so butthurt about it too postgame. Like a kid who got his happy meal with no toy inside. Tribe rolls tonight...42-28 at the Blue Lizard Sun Lube stadium! Don't worry about watching it on your 55 inch flatscreen, Blue Lizard already has one in the scorebaord. 

15 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

I respect your opinion BatmanDevil and DB has a lot of athletes, but the 2016 DB team lost to a 2-9 WB team by two scores.  2006 an undefeated 10-0 DB team lost to a 6-4 WB team in the 1st round of the playoffs and in 2001 and undefeated 10-0 DB team lost to a 5-5 WB team in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I think another undefeated DB team lost to McMinn in the 1st rd. I just can't get past the feeling that everyone gets caught up in the bells and whistles of the big school, huge band, great stadium, etc and over hypes the football program. I think the school got very comfortable being the big fish in a small pond.

just my thoughts

All true, however just to be fair to DB, during those years when they are playing mainly Tri-cities cupcakes, well that is mandated by the TSSAA.    Beating local teams 65-6 week in and week out does produce those 10-0 records but if, as a team, you have no idea how to play from behind and so forth, then it is no wonder you get whacked in the playoffs.    But again, to some degree you have to play who the TSSAA tells you to play each year.

10 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

All true, however just to be fair to DB, during those years when they are playing mainly Tri-cities cupcakes, well that is mandated by the TSSAA.    Beating local teams 65-6 week in and week out does produce those 10-0 records but if, as a team, you have no idea how to play from behind and so forth, then it is no wonder you get whacked in the playoffs.    But again, to some degree you have to play who the TSSAA tells you to play each year.

I agree, as far as region play but it would have benefited them to do a home and home vs 1 or 2 tough "out of their comfort zone" teams every year in non- region play.

To my previous point and I believe yours as well, WB was playing Maryville ( and usually Alcoa unless the adults turnt yella) those years so when they lined up vs DB after the 1st series or so they had the confidence that had faced tougher than DB had to get there.

Edited by 32hammer
spelling

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

A guy I work with his wife grandson is Camden he's the back up center on db, he said db had a d-1 rb this season name keyo but he was caught twice with using illegal substance before finally being kicked off the team, is there any truth in that

I know a guy that lives down the street from me that has a cousin whose wife's step brother is married to the x-wife of one of the coaches son's. He said it wasn't true.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Compton said:

A guy I work with his wife grandson is Camden he's the back up center on db, he said db had a d-1 rb this season name keyo but he was caught twice with using illegal substance before finally being kicked off the team, is there any truth in that

Don't have a clue and wouldn't repeat it if I did.I  said to another parent from Gate city the other day.Any last one of us with kids that make 30 plus on the act and have 4.0 and above GPA better not talk a lot of crap because any one of our kids can mess up just like the rest of us have done at some point .There is a bunch of bad influence in our schools today and some of  the worst comes from kids who you wouldn't expect it to.So I will not throw any rocks towards anyone's kid because all of us can be hit by one at any time

Edited by BatmanDevil

19 minutes ago, Compton said:

You're talking about the Taylor kid. I'm not a DB fan and don't feel comfortable speculating on the reasons why but I did hear he was dismissed from the team over the summer. 

Edited by WBNC83

6 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Don't have a clue and wouldn't repeat it if I did.I  said to another parent from Gate city the other day.Any last one of us with kids that make 30 plus on the act and have 4.0 and above GPA better not talk a lot of crap because any one of our kids can mess up just like the rest of us have done at some point .There is a bunch of bad influence in our schools today and some of  the worst comes from kids who you wouldn't expect it to.So I will not throw any rocks towards anyone's kid because all of us can be hit by one at any time

well said

52 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

just my thoughts

I can explain that and it's really simple. If you are a long time DB fan and attended those playoff games you would already know the answers. The defense always held up their end of the bargain. The offense and play calling by Clark in the playoffs has always been the reason. Not the athletes, not the schedule, not the competition. Clark always looked like he was scared or trying to hide all his good plays from the scouts in the playoffs. I think DB was in the Big East conference for 12 years and won that conference 11 of those years. That's against schools their size or bigger. That's not being a big fish in a small pond. Clark just couldn't coach in the playoffs because he coached scared.

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

Yep,McMinn co 2008,DB was 40 points better with the  ( right coach ) that night.Anyone at that game care to disagree

Probably the most embarrassing play calling I have ever witnessed. If I had pulled such a stunt I would of just packed my bags and moved far up into the mountains.