I have a question about live streaming HS Football games.

BarneySox2007

There are about a dozen different schools live streaming their games in the Knoxville area through Diamond Clear Media and some schools even do their own broadcasting.  I also know a few schools don't want to be on Rivalry Thursday because it cuts into the gate. For me myself I've really started enjoying setting in front of the computer with half a dozen windows open checking the other games out in between plays on the game I'm focused on eliminating a few as games become one sided.  My question if anyone knows, can the home team not allow the visiting team to broadcast the game on live stream because of the fear of losing gate money. I know most of these Diamond Clear broadcast are really cheesy and remind me of two guys trying to film a game with the new Nikon Camera they just bought on sale at Wal-Mart for 99 dollars but they do work.

52 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

There are about a dozen different schools live streaming their games in the Knoxville area through Diamond Clear Media and some schools even do their own broadcasting.  I also know a few schools don't want to be on Rivalry Thursday because it cuts into the gate. For me myself I've really started enjoying setting in front of the computer with half a dozen windows open checking the other games out in between plays on the game I'm focused on eliminating a few as games become one sided.  My question if anyone knows, can the home team not allow the visiting team to broadcast the game on live stream because of the fear of losing gate money. I know most of these Diamond Clear broadcast are really cheesy and remind me of two guys trying to film a game with the new Nikon Camera they just bought on sale at Wal-Mart for 99 dollars but they do work.

Unfortunately yes. Bradley does it to Cleveland quite a bit. Well ok, Bradley does it to anyone who wants to live stream.  I don't like it at all. It sucks 

The answer to your question is yes, the home school can prevent the visiting school from streaming. Happened to Diamond Clear at Greenback for our game. The game was on Rivalry Thursday, so folks still had the opportunity to stream it. Might not seem like that big of a deal, until you think about all the advertising money that Diamond Clear Lost by not streaming that game. They have an expensive operation and I’m sure funds are tight. 

I also knew William Blount didn't broadcast at Maryville over rain concerns because there wasn't any room in the press box and also watched the Alcoa -Maryville game filmed from the visitor stands with fans always blocking the camera. Last year I noticed the Oakland game filmed from the visitor side as well along with Blackman a few years ago. Our AD needs to run all the free pizza and donut eaters out of our pressbox and make room for the TV people.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I also knew William Blount didn't broadcast at Maryville over rain concerns because there wasn't any room in the press box and also watched the Alcoa -Maryville game filmed from the visitor stands with fans always blocking the camera. Last year I noticed the Oakland game filmed from the visitor side as well along with Blackman a few years ago. Our AD needs to run all the free pizza and donut eaters out of our pressbox and make room for the TV people.

We have one of the smallest press box around. 

I know people who work for Diamond Clear, and I know for a fact that Diamond Clear usually opts to only have one crew when they have a game between two schools with Diamond Clear. Usually the home team gets the stream in those situations. It makes sense to do it that way. Why pay two crews to do the same game?  It would get expensive really fast.

You have to remember that they depend on donations to keep going. That's why Heritage only had a few basketball games last year and stopped streaming. They ran out of funding, and nobody stepped up to help them out.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

I have wondered this as well. I watched the Oakland vs Blackman game on live stream.

I watch a handful of games every week on youtube. But its not like its taking gate money away in my case. Because I go to a game every week unless something else comes up that keeps me at home. So the games I usually watch are ones where I wouldn't be going anyways.

Any broadcast entity, TV, radio, or interwebz streaming, has to ask permission from the home team in order to broadcast a regular season game.  It's solely the home school's decision.  

I've never heard of a school not allowing a radio station that follows a particular school be denied permission to broadcast.  There are several schools that don't allow non affiliated radio "games of the week" broadcasts.  It's simply to protect the interests of the stations that make a season long commitment to the particular schools.  

Some schools don't like TV because it tends to completely change the flow of the game.  It takes what should be a 2:45 minute max game and stretches it out to up to 3 1/2 hours long, plus games being on Thursday nights when the next day is a school day complicates things.  

Streaming is still a pretty new concept.  I've had ADs and Coaches tell me that it does cut down on their gate.  

It's really a different day for "media" wanting to cover high school games.  Back when I started in radio maybe one of 5 or 6 schools had a radio station that followed their team, and there was one game of the week station in the area.  Now there are many more doing games.  There was one TV game per week on, and it was on Friday night.  Now there are Thursday and Friday broadcasts on TV.  

And nobody really knows how to deal with streaming, just yet.  Some, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, just don't allow it, and at least one of those ADs is one who has told me that he can track that it cuts down on gate.  

Plus you have websites and some guys with a Twitter account who call themselves "sports media" now, and most schools not named DB or Oak Ridge have small press boxes and limited space available.  There's just not room for everybody who wants to cover every game, and particularly the bigger games each week.  

I foresee the day coming where systems are going to set some type of rights fee for radio, TV, and interwebz broadcasts, most likely set by system administrators and put them out for bids to the different broadcast media.  

And once the playoffs begin, it's a different day.  The TSSAA sets the broadcast fees and rules.  

And if there are typos in this post, I apologize.  Just coming off of eye surgery on Friday and I'm still in the blurry vision stage.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2