AP POLL CLASS 1A OCT 8 2018

Southtowner

19 hours ago, rtl112 said:

Just how good is Trousdale this year?  I know they've had some great teams in the past but ain't they down a bit

3 L's.  Lost to a 6A Lebanon (16-12) team that will finish 8-2, Lost to Watertown (by a point) who is undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in 2A.  Then lost to Whitwell in OT, who is undefeated and ranked high in 1A.   To be honest, all 3 of those games should have been won.  But hats off to all 3 teams that came to the Creekbank and got the W.  Maybe we can stay on the road in playoffs and continue to win.  

2 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

Did Wayne county expose some oh Huntington’s weaknesses? 

Eh not really, our defense has been somewhat suspicious all year. Kind of a slow starter if you will. I will blame it on the lack of completion each week. (most weeks) Hard to get better as a unit if you don't play a lot in real game mode. Practice becomes boring and mundane for the boys. What Wayne did do was hold onto the ball, cant score if ya aint got it. However, with Huntingdon's deep bench it's hard to out last them. They are going to score and score fast and from different players. Make NO mistake about this Huntingdon team, it is NOT the same team you saw last year Cornersville. The QB isn't get 25-35 runs per game and the RB's are spread out and getting equal touches. Put 8-10 in the box and they will run some play action and hit it for 40-50 yds. Just stating facts as I know them this year....thus far.

I see all the write ups about GB is unbeatable (new player is ALL STATE MATERIAL) , South Pitt wins year in year out (actually true statement nothing but respect from me) and Cornersville beat us last year and have the same team back this year (see above statement) .

To be very honest I don't know if there's 15 cents diff between the top 5 on any given Friday night. (im sure their are diff opinions on this lol)  All of the Top 5 teams are extremely good and all have played less than great schedules. I look forward to the playoffs and at that point we will know who is for real and who is not! Let the beat down begin lol......

This is how the Daily Times voted.  Good to see someone put their name to their poll.

Class 1A

1. Greenback (7-0)

2. Cornersville (8-0)

3. South Pittsburg (7-0)

4. Huntingdon (8-0)

5. Whitwell (7-0)

6. Cloudland (6-1)

7. Lake County (6-1)

8. West Carroll (6-1)

9. Midway (6-1)

10. Mt. Pleasant (6-2)

2 hours ago, mustangpop2012 said:

Eh not really, our defense has been somewhat suspicious all year. Kind of a slow starter if you will. I will blame it on the lack of completion each week. (most weeks) Hard to get better as a unit if you don't play a lot in real game mode. Practice becomes boring and mundane for the boys. What Wayne did do was hold onto the ball, cant score if ya aint got it. However, with Huntingdon's deep bench it's hard to out last them. They are going to score and score fast and from different players. Make NO mistake about this Huntingdon team, it is NOT the same team you saw last year Cornersville. The QB isn't get 25-35 runs per game and the RB's are spread out and getting equal touches. Put 8-10 in the box and they will run some play action and hit it for 40-50 yds. Just stating facts as I know them this year....thus far.

I see all the write ups about GB is unbeatable (new player is ALL STATE MATERIAL) , South Pitt wins year in year out (actually true statement nothing but respect from me) and Cornersville beat us last year and have the same team back this year (see above statement) .

To be very honest I don't know if there's 15 cents diff between the top 5 on any given Friday night. (im sure their are diff opinions on this lol)  All of the Top 5 teams are extremely good and all have played less than great schedules. I look forward to the playoffs and at that point we will know who is for real and who is not! Let the beat down begin lol......

1. If the coaches aren't keeping practice upbeat and physical...shame on them. You HAVE to prepare like you are facing the best teams week in and week out even if you aren't.

2. I am pretty sure that Cornersville is not yet looking to Huntingdon...at least the coaches aren't anyway. Fans are, but not the team. 

3. Cornersville does not put 8-10 in the box...you must be thinking of someone else. Maybe the Mustangs from last season against Cornersville when they got burned with the TE up the seam for TD's.

4. Just as with Huntingdon, Cornersville also is not the same team from last year. Averaging 49.25 points per game and allowing 2.5 points per game. Only lost 5 players from a state runner up team.

5. I can agree with you on the remainder of your post. The top teams in the west have a small degree of separation. While I am also ready for the playoffs to start, we need to finish the regular season first and then worry about the individual rounds of the playoffs. last Friday proves that on any given night, any team can sneak up on you, give you a scare, and maybe even pull off a win.

10 minutes ago, Jobres76 said:

1. If the coaches aren't keeping practice upbeat and physical...shame on them. You HAVE to prepare like you are facing the best teams week in and week out even if you aren't.

2. I am pretty sure that Cornersville is not yet looking to Huntingdon...at least the coaches aren't anyway. Fans are, but not the team. 

3. Cornersville does not put 8-10 in the box...you must be thinking of someone else. Maybe the Mustangs from last season against Cornersville when they got burned with the TE up the seam for TD's.

4. Just as with Huntingdon, Cornersville also is not the same team from last year. Averaging 49.25 points per game and allowing 2.5 points per game. Only lost 5 players from a state runner up team.

5. I can agree with you on the remainder of your post. The top teams in the west have a small degree of separation. While I am also ready for the playoffs to start, we need to finish the regular season first and then worry about the individual rounds of the playoffs. last Friday proves that on any given night, any team can sneak up on you, give you a scare, and maybe even pull off a win.

1. Never said coaches weren't prepping the boys...what I said was its hard to keep them focused... boys will be boys

2. If you want to trick yourself into believing that Cornersville players (and coaches)  aren't counting on this anticipated rematch that's your decision. Does not mean they are overlooking anyone, it means they want that rematch just like Huntingdon does. Makes for good football!!

3. was not necc pointed at CVILLE, simply stating if defenses put 8 in the box to try and stop the run we have been able to hit them down field with success.

4. We average perty good offense as well :) and I dare say you wouldn't be holding Wayne County, Milan and Waverly to 2.5 points per game. Your stats are impressive, your team is very very good! My post was simply stating that any one of the top 5 teams could win this Gold Ball! CVILLE included!

57 minutes ago, mustangpop2012 said:

1. Never said coaches weren't prepping the boys...what I said was its hard to keep them focused... boys will be boys

2. If you want to trick yourself into believing that Cornersville players (and coaches)  aren't counting on this anticipated rematch that's your decision. Does not mean they are overlooking anyone, it means they want that rematch just like Huntingdon does. Makes for good football!!

3. was not necc pointed at CVILLE, simply stating if defenses put 8 in the box to try and stop the run we have been able to hit them down field with success.

4. We average perty good offense as well :) and I dare say you wouldn't be holding Wayne County, Milan and Waverly to 2.5 points per game. Your stats are impressive, your team is very very good! My post was simply stating that any one of the top 5 teams could win this Gold Ball! CVILLE included!

The top part of your post appeared to be pointed at Cornersville..."Make NO mistake about this Huntingdon team, it is NOT the same team you saw last year Cornersville." If I misunderstood where you were going then my bad. As far as the "boys will be boys" and it is hard to keep them focused, I can get that and see that, but that is where the team leadership is supposed to come into play and if the leaders aren't focused, the rest of the team isn't either. I am not downing the team, just saying what i feel. We are both passionate about our teams and if and when the playoff game comes around, it will be a guaranteed great one, just like last year.

• Like 1

I see Goonback is high atop Sonny Moore's ratings poll this week.

57 GREENBACK 1A 7 0 0 88.41 119.16

61 HUNTINGDON 1A 8 0 0 93.27 118.54

69 WHITWELL 1A 7 0 0 86.21 116.73

81 CORNERSVILLE 1A 8 0 0 75.57 114.83

83 SOUTH PITTSBURG 1A 7 0 0 77.82 114.49

144 OLIVER SPRINGS 1A 6 1 0 85.91 103.35

160 LAKE COUNTY 1A 6 1 0 74.12 98.86

169 MIDWAY 1A 6 1 0 75.73 97.22

186 CLOUDLAND 1A 6 1 0 69.53 93.84

201 MEMPHIS ACADEMY SCI & ENG (MASE) 1A 5 2 0 81.04 91.79

209 HARRIMAN 1A 4 4 0 90.36 90.64

214 COALFIELD 1A 5 3 0 84.01 89.89

225 HUNTLAND 1A 5 2 0 74.80 87.59

230 FREEDOM PREP 1A 5 3 0 79.98 86.81

237 WEST CARROLL 1A 6 1 0 78.16 85.86

I used the term "smashed" to describe the win that Whitwell had over TC.  I've played against TC since I was a kid.  I know "smash" may not be the best term to use when you beat a team by a touchdown in OT but when a 1A team steps up and beats a team like TC, that's been somewhat dominant for the last several years I'd say smashing is a good term to use to describe the outcome.  Although Whitwell is a tough program, if you live anywhere near TC it would have been hard to find someone who would have predicted that outcome.  Personally, I knew it was going to be a good game.  

Edited by GoBlue98

15 hours ago, Southtowner said:

I see Goonback is high atop Sonny Moore's ratings poll this week.

57 GREENBACK 1A 7 0 0 88.41 119.16

61 HUNTINGDON 1A 8 0 0 93.27 118.54

69 WHITWELL 1A 7 0 0 86.21 116.73

81 CORNERSVILLE 1A 8 0 0 75.57 114.83

83 SOUTH PITTSBURG 1A 7 0 0 77.82 114.49

144 OLIVER SPRINGS 1A 6 1 0 85.91 103.35

160 LAKE COUNTY 1A 6 1 0 74.12 98.86

169 MIDWAY 1A 6 1 0 75.73 97.22

186 CLOUDLAND 1A 6 1 0 69.53 93.84

201 MEMPHIS ACADEMY SCI & ENG (MASE) 1A 5 2 0 81.04 91.79

209 HARRIMAN 1A 4 4 0 90.36 90.64

214 COALFIELD 1A 5 3 0 84.01 89.89