QB plays in OD Bowl his junior year - No Penalty?

MDJ

So, the current Whitwell QB participated in the last OD All-American Bowl in New Orleans in his junior year.  TSSAA rules say, in Section 23, unless the all star game is sanctioned by the TSSAA the player is to be ruled ineligible.  How does he get to play out his senior year & take the team to the playoffs?  Does the TSSAA sanction that all-star bowl?

We could be talking about better things, but the handbook says the following:

Section 23 (a). No student shall be permitted to participate in an all-star game unless it is sanctioned by the TSSAA and unless he/she has completed high school eligibility in that sport; (b) no individual player is allowed to participate in more than two sanctioned all-star contests during the school year; and (c) any student who fails to comply with the preceding requirements loses athletic eligibility for a period of time to be determined by the Board of Control. This rule reflects the present NCAA rule involving all-star games and is designed to parallel those regulations. If a student-athlete withdraws from school and participates in an All-Star game prior to completing their high school eligibility in that sport, he or she will be ineligible to participate in that sport twelve months past the date of the All-Star game. An all-star game is defined as any contest (where admission is charged either directly or indirectly) in which one or both teams is composed of players selected from two or more regularly constituted teams. This regulation does not apply to summer baseball and girls softball. Any all-star game involving TSSAA athletes must be sanctioned by the TSSAA. A filing fee of $250.00 is required for the game to be considered for sanctioning. If the game is approved then an additional approval fee of $750.00 2018-19 TSSAA Handbook Page 22 July 12, 2018 is required. If the request is denied, then all fees shall be refunded. This fee is required annually for games involving groups not affiliated with the TSSAA. No member school shall permit use of its equipment, facilities, or of its employees, directly or indirectly, in the management, coaching, officiating, supervision, or promotion of player selection of any unsanctioned all-star team or contest during the school year.

Personally the TSSAA needs a revamp of there rules.  I could care less or not if the boy plays, but all that should go through the head coach to make sure everything is ok. and as far as Transfers go, My personal oppinion is if you don't enroll in the school at the start of the season, well to bad. No exceptions and that would clarify alot of crazziness.  Of coarse when has the NCAA or TSSAA made sense?   This is my thoughts and I approve this message!!! 

23 minutes ago, MDJ said:

So, the current Whitwell QB participated in the last OD All-American Bowl in New Orleans in his junior year.  TSSAA rules say, in Section 23, unless the all star game is sanctioned by the TSSAA the player is to be ruled ineligible.  How does he get to play out his senior year & take the team to the playoffs?  Does the TSSAA sanction that all-star bowl?

This is old news. By all means he should be ineligible and Whitwell should have had to forfeit every game he played in. However, there was a loop hole in the ruling that apparently was brought to the TSSAA attention and they declared him eligible and no action was taken. If you read the ruling he shouldn't have been but it was bent for them a little you could say. Whitwell would have protested and burned things  like crazy if their best team from the 90s was not allowed to compete for a state title lol

10 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

This is interesting. If he indeed played in this bowl game I’m not sure how he played the entire season. If this is true it sounds like someone dropped the ball on this one. Regardless, obviously it has been allowed so it doesn’t matter. 

I done some research, he was listed on a roster. 

4 minutes ago, powerp said:

This is old news. By all means he should be ineligible and Whitwell should have had to forfeit every game he played in. However, there was a loop hole in the ruling that apparently was brought to the TSSAA attention and they declared him eligible and no action was taken. If you read the ruling he shouldn't have been but it was bent for them a little you could say. Whitwell would have protested and burned things  like crazy if their best team from the 90s was not allowed to compete for a state title lol

If this is the case then that’s pretty bad. So you’re saying rules aren’t rules? Wow... is all I can say about this if this is true. Is this the same one that was suspended last season?

Edited by TheAmbassador

2 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

loophole1-gif.jpeg?w=640

1 minute ago, Redheadstepkid said:

The All American Bowl is played by Seniors. Younger classman can scrimmage them. OD is a camp paid for by parents they only charge for the ALL Senior Bowl because of these rules. Apparently people need to do a bit more research than just one side. BTW, it was cleared by TSSAA.

I just looked it up as well. Sounds like you boys might have caught a break. So your saying he just scrimmaged the seniors? Basically like a practice I guess.

1 minute ago, TheAmbassador said:

I just looked it up as well. Sounds like you boys might have caught a break. So your saying he just scrimmaged the seniors? Basically like a practice I guess.

No break, the parents of this young man looked into this before paying for the camp. Research is always the best thing. Under classman scrimmage under classman. Can’t play in the actual bowl game unless you’re a Senior.