Union City vs Fairley Round 2

Bigsw02

11 minutes ago, kwc said:

Fairley's D is pretty stout, especially against the run. It's hard to sustain long, clock eating drives when you are facing 3rd and long most of the evening. Can UC pass the ball? Can their OL keep the Fairley DL from pressurung the QB (1st QB, 2nd QB, or 3rd QB)? Fairley has a strong O ... but they hang their hat on their D. It is a run stopping D at that. What are UC's plans when they can't run the ball?

Whitahevn Memorial Stadium is turf and those Fairley guys will absolutely FLY on this fast track of a field. Does UC play on grass or turf?

We almost never throw the ball but when we do it catches the defense off guard. We play on grass but we have a field house that has turf and we have been practicing there all week. We are a run first and second and third and so on team. I know that there are a lot of people who think that you have to throw the ball to be successful but we have won 4 State Championships since 2009 by running the football 95% of the time. The Triple Option is very difficult to defend especially when you never see it live. It's almost impossible to duplicate in practice. Truthfully, no one knows for sure who is getting the ball when the ball is snapped because it's a read every single time. We will take 3/4 yards a play all night long if we have to. In fact, that's what we live for. It's very frustrating for a defense. Just when you think you have tackled the fullback for a two yard gain or no gain at all the QB has pulled the ball and is racing down the field for a decent gain or he has pitched the ball to another back and they are speeding down the sidelines. I know, I know Fairley has athletes that can cover a lot of ground. The problem is knowing what ground they need to cover and who has the ball. 

2 hours ago, Bigsw02 said:

We almost never throw the ball but when we do it catches the defense off guard. We play on grass but we have a field house that has turf and we have been practicing there all week. We are a run first and second and third and so on team. I know that there are a lot of people who think that you have to throw the ball to be successful but we have won 4 State Championships since 2009 by running the football 95% of the time. The Triple Option is very difficult to defend especially when you never see it live. It's almost impossible to duplicate in practice. Truthfully, no one knows for sure who is getting the ball when the ball is snapped because it's a read every single time. We will take 3/4 yards a play all night long if we have to. In fact, that's what we live for. It's very frustrating for a defense. Just when you think you have tackled the fullback for a two yard gain or no gain at all the QB has pulled the ball and is racing down the field for a decent gain or he has pitched the ball to another back and they are speeding down the sidelines. I know, I know Fairley has athletes that can cover a lot of ground. The problem is knowing what ground they need to cover and who has the ball. 

So .... UC's offensive phillosophy is run, run, and run some more ... even in passing situations. UC will throw every now and then to cacth the D off guard. Got it. Sounds like an O.C. I know ... LOL .. inside joke.

I understand the mindset. Being able to run the football and stop the run will get you very far in high school football. In some instances ... to the championship game. UC has proved that in the past.

Stopping the triple option, or any option, for that matter is assingment football. Physicality is a must. I also understand the slight of hand that comes with it. Can't give up the dive play consistently. By all means always have the pitchman covered with solid open field tackling. First things first with these offenses. Remove the dive as an option. Stuff it every time. Make the QB pull it. Then ... make the QB pay for pulling it.

Fairley will be prepared for it. I have all the confidence in the world in that D.

How is the UC D? will they be able to stop what Fairley does on a consistent basis? That Fairley RB has some wheels. He's not the only one. I think if he gets to the 2nd level of the D ... he's ripping off chunks, if not taking it to the house. How does the UC run defense stack up?

Edited by kwc

7 minutes ago, kwc said:

So .... UC's offensive phillosophy is run, run, and run some more ... even in passing situations. UC will throw every now and then to cacth the D off guard. Got it. Sounds like an O.C. I know ... LOL .. inside joke.

I understand the mindset. Being able to run the football and stop the run will get you very far in high school football. In some instances ... to the championship game. UC has proved that in the past.

Stopping the triple option, or any option, for that matter is assingment football. Physicality is a must. I also understand the slight of hand that comes with it. Can't give up the dive play consistently. By all means always have the pitchman covered with solid open field tackling. First things first with these offenses. Remove the dive as an option. Stuff it every time. Make the QB pull it. Then ... make the QB pay for pulling it.

Fairley will be prepared for it. I have all the confidence in the world in that D.

How is the UC D? will they be able to stop what Fairley does on a consistent basis? That Fairley RB has some wheels. He's not the only one. I think if he gets to the 2nd level of the D ... he's ripping off chunks, if not taking it to the house. How does the UC run defense stack up?

That’s the thing their offense is their defense. If they get to play union city ball and don’t have fumble problems fairley won’t get the ball more than a few times in the whole game. Their offense is known for burning up whole quarters in one drive. The fullback is around 250 pounds tackling him bears the defense up 

22 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

That’s the thing their offense is their defense. If they get to play union city ball and don’t have fumble problems fairley won’t get the ball more than a few times in the whole game. Their offense is known for burning up whole quarters in one drive. The fullback is around 250 pounds tackling him bears the defense up 

Understood. The offense chews clock when they are clicking. When the D finally hits the field though. What is it like against the run?

A 250 lb FB is pretty awesome. Can't let him build up any momentum.

How many go both ways?

Edited by kwc

7 minutes ago, kwc said:

Understood. The offense chews clock when they are clicking. WHen the D finally hits the field though. What is it like against the run?

Can't let him build up any momentum.

How many go both ways? 250 lb FB is pretty awesome.

I’m a Peabody fan telling what I know. We played them earlier in the year and beat them but they had several out with injuries.  I think they got most of their players back from injury  a week or so ago.  There aren’t many union city posters like there used to be on here 

9 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

I’m a Peabody fan telling what I know. We played them earlier in the year and beat them but they had several out with injuries.  I think they got most of their players back from injury  a week or so ago.  There aren’t many union city posters like there used to be on here 

Oh ... ok. Hopefully, one will chime in. Thanks for sharing what have shared.

36 minutes ago, kwc said:

Understood. The offense chews clock when they are clicking. When the D finally hits the field though. What is it like against the run?

A 250 lb FB is pretty awesome. Can't let him build up any momentum.

How many go both ways?

We have been great and we have been not so great on defense. We have a fantastic Defensive Coordinator. He usually gets the job done as far as a skeem goes. We will have to stay ahead on offense and hopefully get some stops on defense. We will have to play for the fourth quarter and a couple of things to go our way. 

45 minutes ago, Bigsw02 said:

We have been great and we have been not so great on defense. We have a fantastic Defensive Coordinator. He usually gets the job done as far as a skeem goes. We will have to stay ahead on offense and hopefully get some stops on defense. We will have to play for the fourth quarter and a couple of things to go our way. 

Well, this is the Fairley coach's 2nd season as a HC. He's coached in a championship game atmosphere as a staff coach when at Whitehaven back in 2016. It's much different as the head man. He and his staff are learning as they do this. It usually takes several cracks at it before you get the hang of post season winning. I don't know if Fairley will win this game or not. They have the athletes and he is building the program. They are playing at home so that is a plus. Last year they lost in the 1st round. So, they are doing better this year then they did last year. I think they are good enought to get to the quarters ... but they have to win this game to get there. I'm curious to see how he and his staff handle game time situations with this style of offense they face. Coaching against a veteran staff. If I wasn't going to the Whitehaven game, I would be at this one ... just to see the chess match going on between the coaches.

Edited by kwc

15 minutes ago, BigEdMo said:

They have played a speed guy. Scheemed him right out of the game. Fairley is not going to show anything that UC has not ever seen. Again it is one thing to have a coach that knows how to play against the UC offense. It’s another for the players to see it live and stop it. 

I don't think the Fairley coaches think like that. I think they are going to focus on having their guys execute the game plan. Dance with the girl they brought to the dance type of thing. If they get out coached I wouldn't be surprised because this coaching staff is learning how to beat the Region 7 teams. This game will be a very good measuring stick. Fairley has the players to compete. Can they make the in-game adjustments. That's what I want to see. Can they beat the veteran coaching staff. This is a learning experience for the coaches as well. You learn your opponent as you study film and note trends and tendencies. I'm curious to see how Coach Robinson and his staff breaks down the UC film and prepares their guys. This will be a very good test for Fairley.

4 minutes ago, kwc said:

I don't think the Fairley coaches think like that. I think they are going to focus on having their guys execute the game plan. Dance with the girl they brought to the dance type of thing. If they get out coached I wouldn't be surprised because this coaching staff is learning how to beat the Region 7 teams. This game will be a very good measuring stick. Fairley has the players to compete. Can they make the in-game adjustments. That's what I want to see. Can they beat the veteran coaching staff. This is a learning experience for the coaches as well. You learn your opponent as you study film and note trends and tendencies. I'm curious to see how Coach Robinson and his staff breaks down the UC film and prepares their guys. This will be a very good test for Fairley.

I agree. I was Not implying anything other than UC is a wierd bird to contain. I have Seen fairley play and I know Their strengths. I picked Them facing Peabody from the beginning. I just Think this match up is going to throw them a curve. Will be an interesting game for sure 

10 minutes ago, BigEdMo said:

I agree. I was Not implying anything other than UC is a wierd bird to contain. I have Seen fairley play and I know Their strengths. I picked Them facing Peabody from the beginning. I just Think this match up is going to throw them a curve. Will be an interesting game for sure 

They will have to solve the UC triple option offense at some point to advance. Playing against teams that run RPO offenses will help, but facing a true triple option team is a different ball of wax all together. The coaches can explain to the players what they have to do ... but the players will have to trust what the coaches are telling them. Good sound tackling is paramount in a game like this. This will be a physical game, to which I know Fairley can play. Can Fairley stop the grind.

Also ... Fairley has to execute on offense and have successful drives themselves. Can Fairley be patient? I think they can.  We will see tomorrow if they can or not.