1A Championship Cornersville vs Whitwell

TheBigDawg

8 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

That’s where you are wrong. Not throwing shade or anything at the west. But the talent level has dropped off the past 2 years. The competition is absolutely terrible across the state of Tennessee. I understand that you held Huntingdon to 7 points. But with the offense they run, if you figure out how to stop it once, you’ll stop it from there on out. You force them to do what they aren’t used to. But it seemed as if the coach was too stubborn to change his play calling and it cost them. I know Cornersville’s defense is good. But athletic ability goes to Whitwell. Nobody will convince me otherwise. C’ville has a good front 7 but they’re back end is not great. They match up pretty well but I still stay Whitwell. Too much speed, strength, and physicality. I will say, if C’ville can block the front line pretty good, they’ll have lanes to run in. Could possibly break a few long runs. But to win, you have to stop them too.

I’m not a cornersvile fan. I’m a CA fan. My opinion is not biased. I think your opinion will change Saturday though

8 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

That’s where you are wrong. Not throwing shade or anything at the west. But the talent level has dropped off the past 2 years. The competition is absolutely terrible across the state of Tennessee. I understand that you held Huntingdon to 7 points. But with the offense they run, if you figure out how to stop it once, you’ll stop it from there on out. You force them to do what they aren’t used to. But it seemed as if the coach was too stubborn to change his play calling and it cost them. I know Cornersville’s defense is good. But athletic ability goes to Whitwell. Nobody will convince me otherwise. C’ville has a good front 7 but they’re back end is not great. They match up pretty well but I still stay Whitwell. Too much speed, strength, and physicality. I will say, if C’ville can block the front line pretty good, they’ll have lanes to run in. Could possibly break a few long runs. But to win, you have to stop them too.

And the talent level of the west dropped off last year because CA, Peabody, and Union City all moved to 2A

9 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

You will have a different opinion on our defense come sat 

4 hours ago, Jobres76 said:

Cornersville Defensively through 13 games:

Total yards allowed: 1982  on 569 plays 3.48 yards per play  152.46 YPG

Total passing yards allowed: 721    55.46 YPG

TD/INT:  4/21

Total rushing yards allowed:  1261   97 YPG   2.9 Yards per carry

Rushing TD allowed:  5

This includes games against a 2A Mr football semifinalist and two 1A Mr Football semifinalists. 

For those that may have missed this. Defensive stats for Cornersville.

5 minutes ago, Jobres76 said:

For those that may have missed this. Defensive stats for Cornersville.

Stats mean nothing. Cornersville is good and Whitwell is good. We’ll see Saturday. And I don’t care who says what but Whitwell is better than Huntingdon. You’ll definitely see that Saturday. Will Whitwell win, I have no idea. But please, everyone’s stats are misleading because the competition is awful. You could’ve played your jv a full game and still probably beat some of the teams.

50 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

I am in total agreement that the competition level across the state is terrible. However, up until the Cornersville game you could not make the same statement about Huntingdons offense. I have no clue what Swenson was thinking other than trying to convince himself that a couple of plays would actually work.

As far as Cornersville, I gave posters a lot of crap the week we played, but I can say without reservation they have one of the most disciplined defenses you will see.  I am not saying they are better athletes than Whitwell, but I can assure you they will play more disciplined and as a unit than Whitwell will.