Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

cougars130

Girls Wrestling program

Recommended Posts

It’s really disappointing to see how the girls in wrestling are being represented. 

1. If you have female wrestlers in your wrestling program why are you not bringing them along to your boys matches to possibly wrestle the other teams female wrestlers 

2. If you can show up to a random tournament for a girls tournament and you happen to wrestle some of the teams during the season why would you not bring them to those matches because the other wrestling programs bring their girls to wrestle and then you not bring your wrestlers. 

3. Why as a state are we having multiple girl wrestling tournaments on the same weekend if you are paying money to these tournaments would you not want your wrestler getting the most mat time with girls their weight instead of having 10 pound weight differences just to wrestle 1 or 2 girls in the tournament. 

Something needs to change I feel we are failing them as far as getting quality mat time. 

Anyone have ideas or suggestions to help make girls wrestling better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For example the Hendersonville tournament and the Ramsey Rumble are both tournaments having a girls tournament on the same day. Track also lists schools who have girl teams showing up to both tournaments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Girls wrestling is growing pretty fast. Some coaches and programs likely don't have the resources (coaches) to keep up. I'm sure some girls programs are led by the boys coaching staff and it's hard to be in 2 or 3 places at once. I would bet some programs can't afford to pay a third or fourth coach to travel and coach the girls. I would also venture to guess that some schools don't have facilities to handle operating a girls program seperate from the boys. For that matter the facilities aren't even sufficient to run a boys program thus they practice together.

You are gonna have growing pangs. You are going to have to be patient. 

If your issue is with a particular coach/s or program/s, which is how I interpreted your post, then I suggest you speak to them directly. If they are playing games don't schedule them in the future.

Hope this helps. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hamblin said:

Girls wrestling is growing pretty fast. Some coaches and programs likely don't have the resources (coaches) to keep up. I'm sure some girls programs are led by the boys coaching staff and it's hard to be in 2 or 3 places at once. I would bet some programs can't afford to pay a third or fourth coach to travel and coach the girls. I would also venture to guess that some schools don't have facilities to handle operating a girls program seperate from the boys. For that matter the facilities aren't even sufficient to run a boys program thus they practice together.

You are gonna have growing pangs. You are going to have to be patient. 

If your issue is with a particular coach/s or program/s, which is how I interpreted your post, then I suggest you speak to them directly. If they are playing games don't schedule them in the future.

Hope this helps. 

 

What you said is true but I think if we as a sport limit when girls tournaments happen and try to get the girls programs to the tournaments then it would help the girls side is so small you should technically wrestle every girl in your division during the season atleast once before the division tournament that decides who qualifies for state. Other then the weight droppers or gainers and it’s not one team in general it’s just a trend I see at the girl tournaments for instance teams will be listed on track for the tournament and then not be there because they decided to go to a different girl tournament hosted the same weekend and then tournaments end up with 30 girls in total or teams don’t bring their girls because only 20 girls are listed at going so to them it’s a waste of funds to submit there girls in a tournament where they may have 1 other girl in their bracket or the light weight girl gets bumped to a heavier weight class just to fill it with 3 wrestlers then parents pay money to watch there kid compete against the 1 state champion or a kid that weighs more than their kid.  I’m no parent but one day I hope my daughters have the same opportunity as the boys wrestling program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The girls are piggybacking on the boys tournaments today. By the time you have daughters maybe it will grow enough so that they have their own events. The AAU is busy trying different things to try and get more girls interested. People are working on it.

The main thing is be patient and keep working.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hamblin said:

The girls are piggybacking on the boys tournaments today. By the time you have daughters maybe it will grow enough so that they have their own events. The AAU is busy trying different things to try and get more girls interested. People are working on it.

The main thing is be patient and keep working.

Yes I understand that is going on with the current tournaments but when can we as a state (High School Level) come together and decide on dates for individual girl tournaments that are not having multiple girl tournaments on the same day?  There should be atleast 2 tournaments where it’s strictly girl wrestling so the girls can have solid brackets. If most tournaments request the same price for female wrestling as the male wrestling they should be given the same quality of tournament for example 100 dollars a team or 15 for individual being a requirement. If they are not getting the same wrestling quality then the price per team/individual should be reduced. 

It’s just concerning that these athletes practice everyday just like the males are rarely get mat time as is so why not work together to get them as much mat time as possible.

 

you say the girls piggyback off the boys tournaments then every team who has a girls team should be at tournaments who host them. Most tournaments are Jv/Girls tournaments well the starters are off at another tournament which takes coaches away from the Varsity Girls I just feel there could be more done to help the girl wrestlers during the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hendersonville moved the girls tournament to Friday afternoon and then cancelled it due to lack of participation. Also, you need to keep in mind with the limited amount of girls/teams competing, the same teams are seeing each other every weekend. While I think mat time is important, seeing  the same competition every single weekend is not always best for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only schedule the Ramsey Rumble after trying to find a local girls tournament in the area that weekend. I initially tried to go to the Hendersonville tournament months ago, but I was told the girls division had been moved, then canceled. Had they been doing the girls tournament on Saturday, I would have gladly sent my girls there instead of taking on hosting a tournament. I believe that if you should check with the people hosting tournaments and see what the situation is before you assume. 

 

Currently our girls program is thriving while our boys have been going through growing pains from youth, inexperience, and injuries. We do not have a separate coaching staff nor the funds to run separate teams, but we find a way to grow the girls team and give them every opportunity to wrestle that we can. We bring them with us everywhere and send them to different tournaments if necessary, even at the expense of taking a coach away from the boys. You do what you have to in order to keep the girls program moving and competitive just like we do the boys. 

Girls wrestling is a relatively new sport in Tennessee but it is growing. In our county in particular, almost every team has some girls and we are working as a group to help get coaches for the girls teams approved by the county. 

Please be patient and get all the facts before you start pointing fingers please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wished they would allow the girls to wrestle boys through the season to get some mat time and once state comes around have them split. We just dont have enough girl teams in the state at this time to have them have their own tournaments every weekend and so some get like 8-10 matches a year and then state. Even if they were sent to JV tournaments every weekend that would at least be mat time for them to grow and get better with competition.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why they don't allow girls to wrestle boys. However I don't see why exhibition matches are not allowed. It allows the girls to get experience without counting against anybody's record.

Again, this would be until the sport grows to a point of consistency and stability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you contacted coaches in other parts of the state to see what they are doing? 

Maybe you can get together and do a couple events during the season. Maybe you call them something like super regional tournaments. Nice team trophies and medals for the girls. Make sure every girl gets her 5 matches in regardless whether she's winning or losing. Maybe you talk the coaches with big rosters into hosting. Mandatory your jv boys who aren't competing to work tables. Be creative. Figure it out. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoachDFreeman said:

I only schedule the Ramsey Rumble after trying to find a local girls tournament in the area that weekend. I initially tried to go to the Hendersonville tournament months ago, but I was told the girls division had been moved, then canceled. Had they been doing the girls tournament on Saturday, I would have gladly sent my girls there instead of taking on hosting a tournament. I believe that if you should check with the people hosting tournaments and see what the situation is before you assume. 

 

Currently our girls program is thriving while our boys have been going through growing pains from youth, inexperience, and injuries. We do not have a separate coaching staff nor the funds to run separate teams, but we find a way to grow the girls team and give them every opportunity to wrestle that we can. We bring them with us everywhere and send them to different tournaments if necessary, even at the expense of taking a coach away from the boys. You do what you have to in order to keep the girls program moving and competitive just like we do the boys. 

Girls wrestling is a relatively new sport in Tennessee but it is growing. In our county in particular, almost every team has some girls and we are working as a group to help get coaches for the girls teams approved by the county. 

Please be patient and get all the facts before you start pointing fingers please.

Hey coach I was not pointing fingers at your program or your tournament at all I was just using the 2 tournaments as an example of what I have been seeing over the last 2 seasons like you said it’s hard to split coaches to coach both teams and especially for 2 different tournaments the experience at the last JV/Girls tournament I was at had 2 mats 1 official was new and the other was the head ref and the tournament was confusing for the girl wrestlers as far as knowing when they were about to wrestle I myself had to go assist the table in letting them know information about who had won a previous match so the right wrestler was wrestling in the finals. But again I apologize if you thought I was blasting your wrestling program.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements



×