Gibson Co (25-2) at Trinity Christian (20-5)

WestTnGuru

5 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I know we beat Greenfield and Westview twice and South Side and we played more in attack mode on offense. Played really slow and IMO tried to run clock in the second half with an 11 point lead and it backfired first meeting. Bullshark even said it and he is not a GC fan I don't think. I don't think anyone in West TN is as good as South Side defensively. They are Peabody times two. I think coach thought he could hold the single digit lead late and keep yow in check and win an ugly game and it backfired and Trinity caused some TO's made a shot or two and we got beat. To be fair to TCA, you guys didn't play your best either and you won an ugly game. I know all the girls over there at TCA and the coaches and they are a class act and I honestly don't know what will happen because we are dealing with 16-17 year old girls. But you guys are playing well and may the best team win Round two of what could be more meetings between us.

I think we need to play up tempo as well. We caught Greenfield when they were a player down, dominated Westview at home, probably got some favorable calls at Westview and got another one, and out disciplined South Side....but if we slow down, then we tend to play down (TCA & Dyersburg). It should be a great game and a packed house. I've got a feeling we will play a little different compared to the last meeting....; )

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, SuperFan14A said:

I think we need to play up tempo as well. We caught Greenfield when they were a player down, dominated Westview at home, probably got some favorable calls at Westview and got another one, and out disciplined South Side....but if we slow down, then we tend to play down (TCA & Dyersburg). It should be a great game and a packed house. I've got a feeling we will play a little different compared to the last meeting....; )

When you got 10 players that can play, only makes sense. We got some good posts but we don't have a 6 foot 2 post that can score every possession like Westview has had in the past and can play a half court game. I like it when other teams want to press us. It gives us more space. Better get there early tomm. night. I have already had three or four people that have called and  are going to this one. It is definitely the game of the night. It will be packed.

7 hours ago, Intense said:

I guess I’m kind of confused at the “conservative play by GC” comments.  Last game they pressed us down to the last shot. They were very agresssive on defense.  Offensively, I have to think TCA’s defense had something to do with the way GC played.  It’s almost like folks think the last TCA win was a fluke.  I can tell you that it wasn’t.  I think the USJ win might be our biggest win of the year so far.  I think they are more talented than GC.  They aren’t as deep but they have a post that comes off the bench that is best post we’ve faced this year.  Maybe if we win tommorrow night we might gain a little respect.  Two great teams playing regardless of who wins!

Not sure how many times you have seen GC play but normally they are much more aggressive on offense.  They drive the ball much more often than they did in the first game and they dang sure take the open three shots that they passed on repeatedly in the first game.  Defensively, they were not conservative and TCA handled the pressure  well.  Trinity's defense was not bad, but shooters were open and did not shoot and the few times GC attacked the basket, they were effective.

I could not disagree with you more about USJ being more talented than GC.  USJ has the best player by far, but their depth is no where near that of GC (including all of there posts.)  Humboldt and Peabody have better posts IMO.  I would take GC 10 out of 10 times on USJ's home court if they played!  USJ is WAY down compared to their usual teams and their parents will tell you that.

Croppy,  you may eat your own words an it will be your fault because you will miss the game if you show up friday.  They play tomorrow.

1 hour ago, BullShark said:

Not sure how many times you have seen GC play but normally they are much more aggressive on offense.  They drive the ball much more often than they did in the first game and they dang sure take the open three shots that they passed on repeatedly in the first game.  Defensively, they were not conservative and TCA handled the pressure  well.  Trinity's defense was not bad, but shooters were open and did not shoot and the few times GC attacked the basket, they were effective.

I could not disagree with you more about USJ being more talented than GC.  USJ has the best player by far, but their depth is no where near that of GC (including all of there posts.)  Humboldt and Peabody have better posts IMO.  I would take GC 10 out of 10 times on USJ's home court if they played!  USJ is WAY down compared to their usual teams and their parents will tell you that.

Croppy,  you may eat your own words an it will be your fault because you will miss the game if you show up friday.  They play tomorrow.

I'm gettin old and can't keep up to good. I just post between naps!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

When you got 10 players that can play, only makes sense. We got some good posts but we don't have a 6 foot 2 post that can score every possession like Westview has had in the past and can play a half court game. I like it when other teams want to press us. It gives us more space. Better get there early tomm. night. I have already had three or four people that have called and  are going to this one. It is definitely the game of the night. It will be packed.

I agree GC is deep but now is the time to start shortening the rotation imo.  Depth is an asset for sure but tourney time is when you shorten your bench and use your depth in certain spots 

In what will no doubt be the premier girls game in the state on Tuesday night, Gibson County comes to town to play TCA.  The winner of this game has the inside track to the first round bye in the district tournament.  Radio coverage will be provided by Fox Sports Jackson 105.3fm.  Audio streaming will be available at http://www.foxsportsjackson.com You can also listen on your cell phone by calling 605-468-5762.  Video streaming of this game will be available at http://www.tcalions.com/live . The Voices of TCA athletics, Diamond Dave McCulley and Stan Gerard will have both the radio and the video call of this game.  The Countdown To Tip Off Pregame Show will begin at 5:45pm central time.

Each team has lost only one time to opponents in Class A.  Gibson County lost to TCA, and TCA lost to Peabody.  Gibson County (25-2) is ranked #1 in Class A while TCA (19-5) is unranked by the hacks that vote In the Associated Press poll.  

1 hour ago, westtnsportsfan said:

I agree GC is deep but now is the time to start shortening the rotation imo.  Depth is an asset for sure but tourney time is when you shorten your bench and use your depth in certain spots 

Keep in mind when GC was playing their best ball they played 10. TCA will play 10 or more tomm. Night and their core players will play most of the game. 10 players is not a lot if you use them right. He has used a number of different lineups this year. I have watched these girls a bunch and there is no drop off IMO. One of their bench players is averaging close to 10 points a game. I am just saying to play fast. If you get tired you got the depth. GC don't play well playing slow. Offensive production is what got GC beat last year scoring 3 points in the 4th quarter against Greenfield and only losing by 4 with a chance to tie with 20 seconds left. If they get put out this year, it won't be because of defense. I agree somewhat if it ain't broke don't try to fix it, but for heavens sake don't get beat by getting tired.

Edited by pioneer42

49 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Gc leads 26-25 at the half

Officials whistle happy

Called a technical on a personal foul. What a joke. Swung momentum for a bit. I will say this. TCA is for real folks.  Their post play is tough. Really good team. GC played well on offense and had to claw until the end.

18 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Called a technical on a personal foul. What a joke. Swung momentum for a bit. I will say this. TCA is for real folks.  Their post play is tough. Really good team. GC played well on offense and had to claw until the end.

I agree. That was not one. Good game and we got the split. Should be a great few weeks coming up. 

Great game tonight!  TCA's length and size are a tough matchup for GC.  The next matchup could go either way.  Tonight's game reminded me of the Super Bowl, great defense on both sides of the ball.  GC is lucky to escape with the win because they were dominated on the offensive glass!  Tough FT shooting down the stretch helped seal the win!  Worth the price of admission and then some!