Haywood and Dusty Rhodes

Indian

25 minutes ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

Disagree, why would you punish the young men that will be junior and seniors next year and the year after because of the actions of an adult who is their coach. Suspend the coach or ban him from coaching in the state for life, but don't remove the possibility for the kids to play in the post season.

I could see this punishment working also,but all involved players and assistant who where part of the mess should be pubished also.

13 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Here's what I believe. The Northwest officials association service Haywood baseball. If this umpire claims that there was a hybrid stance, but Dusty said that he's been doing it all year, then it puts the Northwest association a bad look. It also puts the Southwest (Jackson) association a bad look because I would assume Haywood plays a lot of baseball games in the Jackson area and a lot of umpires that are in the "Jackson" association had Haywood at some point this year.

So, a pitcher isn't going to change his pitching delivery in the postseason, not going to happen. In addition, he definitely isn't going to do it during the game. Why was this called in the 6th inning and not innings 1-3? The only person that can answer the question is the umpire that called it. To me, this was the umpire taking control of his authority and made Haywood baseball look bad and made the Northwest officials association look bad as well.

Do you know for sure that the pitcher using the Hybrid Stance was pitching any early innings?

2 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Do you know for sure that the pitcher using the Hybrid Stance was pitching any early innings?

Most pitchers don’t change their windup mechanics during the game, so you’d have to assume yes. It’s a dumb HS only rule, but yet still a rule. Over the last 2 years I’ve seen it called 5 or 6 times. Mostly during the post season. Once I saw it called after the pitch was hit for a double and since it was an illegal pitch, the batter had to come back to the plate and continue his at bat. Imagine Dusty’s reaction in that situation! It’s always called after several innings and I’m sure sometimes after an apposing coach has pointed it out in hopes to disrupt a pitcher’s game. Last year I saw a Vandy commit with plus stuff melt down and get pulled after facing 11 batters in an inning after it was called... Most coaches begrudgingly agree it’s a proper call and move forward. Dusty’s reaction seems like there is more to the story. The umpire might have said something that didn’t sit well with him. I can’t imagine a coach reacting like what is shown just by being told his pitcher cannot use a hybrid windup. 

Plus throw in the fact that it was never called the whole regular season. I know Dusty can ruffle feathers but I know To blow up like that there was something else. He coached and umpired many years at all levels even college. So you can’t tell me he did not know what was going on to just blow up at that level. Like I have Said earlier. Where is the punishment and accountability to the umpires who did not follow the rules and make the call during the regular season. 

4 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Most pitchers don’t change their windup mechanics during the game, so you’d have to assume yes. It’s a dumb HS only rule, but yet still a rule. Over the last 2 years I’ve seen it called 5 or 6 times. Mostly during the post season. Once I saw it called after the pitch was hit for a double and since it was an illegal pitch, the batter had to come back to the plate and continue his at bat. Imagine Dusty’s reaction in that situation! It’s always called after several innings and I’m sure sometimes after an apposing coach has pointed it out in hopes to disrupt a pitcher’s game. Last year I saw a Vandy commit with plus stuff melt down and get pulled after facing 11 batters in an inning after it was called... Most coaches begrudgingly agree it’s a proper call and move forward. Dusty’s reaction seems like there is more to the story. The umpire might have said something that didn’t sit well with him. I can’t imagine a coach reacting like what is shown just by being told his pitcher cannot use a hybrid windup. 

Why would I have to assume yes?  For the reasons you stated I would assume this pitcher did not pitch until late in the game.  Came on in relief is what I would assume.

After checking some box scores, the best I could find, it seems that Haywood had their starter go 4 full innings & a relief pitcher for the final 2 innings. 

This incident happened in the bottom of the 6th inning.  When the relief pitcher came on in the 5th inning maybe he didn't give up any hits or walks and thereby only pitched from the windup position.  ( I can only assume this. The opposing team did not score in the 5th)

The opposing team did score in the bottom of the 6th.  ( So I will assume they had at least 1 base runner as they scored 1 run.)  

When pitchers have runners on base they pitch from the set position.  I'm assuming this is when the infractions took place.

We can assume what we want all day long.

What we do know for sure is the Haywood Coach went ballistic and crossed the lines of good sportsmanship. 

I think Coach seen the elimination game slipping away and just lost his cool completely.   That part we do know. 

As I've said before, if I were the Association,  I would stick to my guns and rule what has already been set forth.   Haywood had their opportunity to address the punishment and came up short.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Wrong.  The rule regarding the hybrid pitching stance is in college baseball too.  The rule is different, but there is still a rule involving the hybrid stance.

There was no one on base when the first illegal pitch was called.  A ball was added to the count.  If anyone had been on base, then the call would have been a balk.  The calling umpire explained to the coach, at length, what his pitcher had done wrong and what he needed to do to be legal.  The pitcher threw a pitch, in the legal position.  The pitcher then went back to the same foot placement that resulted in the first pitch illegal pitch call and another illegal pitch was called.  Another ball was added to the batter's count.

Then the coach went crazy.

I worked with the calling umpire the following day after this circus and this is what he told me.  I have zero reason not to believe him.

I still Say I have No problem with the call in the state tournament. I want To know about the rest of the season. It is easy to focus on the 2 innings the kid pitched in an elimination game and say that the coach went crazy over the call. But why does no one address the fact that the coach and the kid was never warned all year. It is that inconsistency that can cause someone to explode. I still Do not condone what Dusty did. But I am Willing to bet each and every one you if you think back and are honest you have gotten upset about inconsistency. If you haven’t then ask your kids When as parents we are inconsistent. It’s easy to sit up here and throw judgement but let’s all look in the mirror and see how inconsistency can effect all of us. There should be punishment but there should be some weight put in on the fact that this call was never made during the whole season. So why is no one upset that all the other umpires never followed the rules. Heck I hate For the team that Haywood eliminated to get to state. That call could have helped the other team to make it to state.  

4 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

Wrong.  The rule regarding the hybrid pitching stance is in college baseball too.  The rule is different, but there is still a rule involving the hybrid stance.

There was no one on base when the first illegal pitch was called.  A ball was added to the count.  If anyone had been on base, then the call would have been a balk.  The calling umpire explained to the coach, at length, what his pitcher had done wrong and what he needed to do to be legal.  The pitcher threw a pitch, in the legal position.  The pitcher then went back to the same foot placement that resulted in the first pitch illegal pitch call and another illegal pitch was called.  Another ball was added to the batter's count.

Then the coach went crazy.

I worked with the calling umpire the following day after this circus and this is what he told me.  I have zero reason not to believe him.

Birds of a feather flock together. I bet All of Dusty friends and colleagues has no reason not to believe him. Sorry but just because you called a game the next day with that ump means nothing. Thank you for willing to umpire. There is a shortage and it has caused subpar umpires and refs. 

Yeah, and your attitude toward "umpires" is a symptom of a larger problem.

You're basically saying my conversation with this umpire and what he said to me, and keep in mind that this was the calling umpire, does not matter.  You are either calling him or me a liar.  I'm sorry I contributed to this discussion.

"Birds of a feather flock together."  Really?  I offer first hand, factual information to this discussion and you tell me this?

Ed, do the letters KMA, mean anything to you?

Edited by catsbackr

34 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

Yeah, and your attitude toward "umpires" is a symptom of a larger problem.

You're basically saying my conversation with this umpire and what he said to me, and keep in mind that this was the calling umpire, does not matter.  You are either calling him or me a liar.  I'm sorry I contributed to this discussion.

"Birds of a feather flock together."  Really?  I offer first hand, factual information to this discussion and you tell me this?

Ed, do the letters KMA, mean anything to you?

Now now. Don’t have that thin skin there ump. See what I have Been saying is that umps should be consistent. If you can read then you would have read that i said the call was correct. So sounds like to me that your attitude of every umpire is correct and honest means that is symptom of a larger problem. So are you part of the problem? Or the solution. And before you get on your high horse and tell me to sign up and be an ump and be part of the solution. Well past the age to be doing it. And been there and done that. So KMA!! Another example of an issue with umpires and refs.  I guess Fans and coaches are not the only ones that can get frustrated. Hahahahaha. KMA Hahahaha. Makes me laugh.  

Edited by BigEdMo