Fall scrimmages

GWAVE1

3 hours ago, DavidGlasgow said:

This years Greeneville team is not the same a the team they fielded in recent years. Their offense really struggled against Farragut last night. Their defense had a hard time defending the pass. Farragut had a lot of drops that should've been easy completions. Nether team ran the ball well. With that being said it was just a scrimmage.

If I remember correctly the 2 team came in after the 3rd or 4th session and that’s when Farragut has the couple throws for TD’s?  I believe BVD TV live streamed some of it?  I maybe wrong, but Oh well!   Farragut looked good from what I seen, both teams had their misses and moments from their 1st team rotations.  Yes, it is true some of Greene starters didn’t play on offense or defense, but we’ve heard that before and it will not matter come real game time.  Either way Greene will be ready come real game time and you can count on that! Looking forward to some great HS football this season.  

Edited by Romansfive8

Well we do have to take into consideration that maybe Farragut did not play all of there team too. It is possible. I would think both coaching staff have somewhat of an agreement since both do not want anyone hurt. To big plays by Farragut does not justify a big win. What is more importantly is Farragut defense against the defending champs. That is where the questions arise. 

With respect to the Greeneville @ Farragut scrimmage, I thought both offensive lines clearly struggled at times. Greeneville's initial drives were plagued by penalties, while a couple of Farragut drives were similarly plagued by dropped passes. Neither team did very much offensively until Farragut scored on the busted coverage in the post. As a matter fact, both teams had multiple minus yardage plays during the scrimmage with Farragut's coming almost exclusively in the run game. The Farragut touchdown on the go route was a thing of beauty. 

#47 for Greeneville is a very good player and was limited, for whatever reason. #20 for Farragut is clearly hampered by a rather large protective wrap on his hand – I understand it is precautionary and that he will be able to play without it next week.  

From the perspective of a Farragut fan, a few observations about the 2019 Admirals: 

Farragut has a lot of new faces this year.  Coming into the season, I must confess I expected to see #8 and #1 at DE, perhaps (more than anything else) because each had played there in the past; nevertheless, I thought that would make for a formidable defensive front. Consequently, with those two guys playing on the outside, Farragut has an entirely new defensive line and entirely new inside linebackers. I thought the new defensive line played much better in the second scrimmage. They were able to get consistent push and multiple pressures on the QB.  

I also thought the ILB combination was much better, sans a missed fit here or there, in the second scrimmage. I know that #21 will be used some at RB – he runs hard and physical, particularly in short yardage – but his speed and physicality is NEEDED at ILB in my opinion. I would also be interested to see #9 get some reps at ILB; from what I understand, he is physical and one of the strongest players on the team. 

Farragut must find some way to run the football more effectively, in my opinion. I'm a big believer that you can only go so far if you can't run the football, and Farragut has struggled to run the football in the spring and in fall camp. Obviously, the most important component is consistent offensive line play. At the same time, I can't help but remember how monumentally Farragut struggled running the football in 2016 until Cooper Hardin became the feature RB  (ZERO chance at a Championship without that move) . Hopefully, #20 can be the answer; at the same time, it is a bittersweet move – losing his speed and experience at WR AND CB.  

I would be really interested to see #8 get some reps running the football – à la Cooper Hardin. If recollection serves me, he ran the ball quite well as a freshman and he would obviously be a beast in short yardage situations… running or blocking (just a thought).

Edited by Former44

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, DevilMan03 said:

Greeneville also withheld 3-5 Starters on both sides of the ball. Youngblood A Furman Commit never touched the ball on offense and only played Lb. he will be the starting Rb. Not to mention other guys who didnt play. The scrimmages weve had the coaching staff hasnt let all the main starters on the field all together. Also please remember The Qb wasn't live to run the ball the ball in tbe scrimmage. Greeneville lives by the option. 

You're going to be out of excuses before the season even starts.  Keep some of your powder dry.