Greenback at Meigs County

orngnblk

5 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

I dont have those, i wish I did. Your qb and #23 had impressive numbers as well.

Carnes was 24-for-40 for 314 yards and three touchdowns with two interceptions.

“Braden is upset about the turnovers but hey, I told him, ‘If you throw it that many times and you’re not throwing interceptions, something is wrong,’” Ryan said. “I’m proud to death of Braden Carnes. I’m proud to death of how our receivers competed.”

Holden Willis and Wyatt Rutgerson were Carnes’ main targets. Willis had nine catches for 122 yards and two touchdowns while Rutgerson had 112 yards and one touchdown on nine receptions.

Willis said the team came to Meigs County with more heart than last week when the Cherokees fell to Loudon, 54-20. Loudon also grabbed a 13-0 lead before Greenback allowed the game to slip out of reach.

This time, the Cherokees fought back.

“The heart is there,” Willis said. “Small fixes and we’ll be a team people don’t want to play.”

Greenback missed some opportunities early. Rutgerson intercepted Meigs County quarterback Aaron Swafford on the Tigers’ opening drive. Carnes was sacked on third down, forcing the Cherokees to punt it away.

Meigs County kept that momentum on its ensuing drive when Swafford launched a pass downfield to Logan Carroll, who made an over-the-shoulder catch for a 45-yard touchdown six minutes into the game.

Swafford put Meigs County ahead 13-0 with a 43-yard touchdown pass to Will Meadows with 3:49 left in the half. Also the kicker, Swafford missed the extra point attempt.

It was at that point that Greenback came alive. Willis gave the Cherokees a spark when he turned a short pass into an 18-yard gain by scrambling and stiff-arming his way to the Meigs County 45. Six plays later, Willis put the Cherokees on the board with a 5-yard touchdown catch in the left corner of the end zone with 5:26 left in the half.

“That comes from reps in practice, running go routes and turning and seeing the ball in the air already,” Willis said. “Braden and I have our timing down. The line is blocking — supporting. That’s a team-contributed play.”

Rutgerson made it 13-8 when he rushed for the two-point conversion. He came up big again with five seconds left in the second quarter when he made a 20-yard catch in the back of the end zone. He kept his feet inbounds to give Greenback a 14-13 edge entering halftime.

“I knew their safety was over the top,” Rutgerson said. “He completely bluffed and went to the right side. I just got wide open, and Braden made a good throw for me to make a play.”

Four minutes into the third quarter, Swafford gave Meigs County the lead, 19-14, when he broke loose for an 80-yard touchdown. Greenback answered on its next drive when Carnes found Willis in the end zone again — this time for a 31-yard touchdown. The ball sailed through the hands of Meigs County cornerback before falling into Willis’ arms to put Greenback on top one last time, 20-19.

Swafford scored the winning touchdown on a 45-yard run with 10:35 left. He ran in the two-point conversion to give the Tigers a seven-point advantage.

With less than four minutes remaining, the Cherokees threatened to score by stringing together three consecutive first downs that put Greenback in Meigs County territory. Swafford intercepted Carnes to eliminate the threat.

While the Cherokees succeeded at moving the ball through the air, they had fewer than 10 rushing yards seven carries.

“We’ve got to find some kind of run game,” Ryan said. “I don’t know what the answer is to that right now, but I promise you we’ll find it before next week.”

Follow @TaylorVortherms on Twitter for more from sports reporter Taylor Vortherms.

1 remaining of 2

One thing for us is we dont face alot of QBs like you field. We were good enough to edge you guys but barely. That's the best workout our secondary has had in my short time being a follower of Meigs football. We normally excel at run defense as most teams do not field the caliber of QBs that your team and mine do. As far as run defense go we are top notch in my opinion it will be hard to get alot of rushing yards against us this season. I wish we had more workouts for our secondary like you gave us. The game in all its highlights was a spectacle of one great rushing team and one great passing team. Not that were bad on passing because were not, we just like to run it more. 

Edited by Imthayeti

1 minute ago, orngnblk said:

“Braden is upset about the turnovers but hey, I told him, ‘If you throw it that many times and you’re not throwing interceptions, something is wrong,’” Ryan said. “I’m proud to death of Braden Carnes. I’m proud to death of how our receivers competed.”

Holden Willis and Wyatt Rutgerson were Carnes’ main targets. Willis had nine catches for 122 yards and two touchdowns while Rutgerson had 112 yards and one touchdown on nine receptions.

Willis said the team came to Meigs County with more heart than last week when the Cherokees fell to Loudon, 54-20. Loudon also grabbed a 13-0 lead before Greenback allowed the game to slip out of reach.

“The heart is there,” Willis said. “Small fixes and we’ll be a team people don’t want to play.”

Greenback missed some opportunities early. Rutgerson intercepted Meigs County quarterback Aaron Swafford on the Tigers’ opening drive. Carnes was sacked on third down, forcing the Cherokees to punt it away.

Meigs County kept that momentum on its ensuing drive when Swafford launched a pass downfield to Logan Carroll, who made an over-the-shoulder catch for a 45-yard touchdown six minutes into the game.

Swafford put Meigs County ahead 13-0 with a 43-yard touchdown pass to Will Meadows with 3:49 left in the half. Also the kicker, Swafford missed the extra point attempt.

It was at that point that Greenback came alive. Willis gave the Cherokees a spark when he turned a short pass into an 18-yard gain by scrambling and stiff-arming his way to the Meigs County 45. Six plays later, Willis put the Cherokees on the board with a 5-yard touchdown catch in the left corner of the end zone with 5:26 left in the half.

“That comes from reps in practice, running go routes and turning and seeing the ball in the air already,” Willis said. “Braden and I have our timing down. The line is blocking — supporting. That’s a team-contributed play.”

Rutgerson made it 13-8 when he rushed for the two-point conversion. He came up big again with five seconds left in the second quarter when he made a 20-yard catch in the back of the end zone. He kept his feet inbounds to give Greenback a 14-13 edge entering halftime.

“I knew their safety was over the top,” Rutgerson said. “He completely bluffed and went to the right side. I just got wide open, and Braden made a good throw for me to make a play.”

Four minutes into the third quarter, Swafford gave Meigs County the lead, 19-14, when he broke loose for an 80-yard touchdown. Greenback answered on its next drive when Carnes found Willis in the end zone again — this time for a 31-yard touchdown. The ball sailed through the hands of Meigs County cornerback before falling into Willis’ arms to put Greenback on top one last time, 20-19.

Swafford scored the winning touchdown on a 45-yard run with 10:35 left. He ran in the two-point conversion to give the Tigers a seven-point advantage.

With less than four minutes remaining, the Cherokees threatened to score by stringing together three consecutive first downs that put Greenback in Meigs County territory. Swafford intercepted Carnes to eliminate the threat.

While the Cherokees succeeded at moving the ball through the air, they had fewer than 10 rushing yards seven carries.

“We’ve got to find some kind of run game,” Ryan said. “I don’t know what the answer is to that right now, but I promise you we’ll find it before next week.”

Follow @TaylorVortherms on Twitter for more from sports reporter Taylor Vortherms.

1 remaining of 2

Great write up. Thank you.

5 hours ago, TigerNation said:

This has bothered me tonight. Apparently Greenback suffers from the same geographical problem that Meigs does, but did anyone notice any news/press crews outside of local papers? These two teams are ranked in the top 5 of their classifications, playing in an awesome environment in front of a packed house and there were zero news Crews there to report the game from Chattanooga or Knoxville? Can’t even send a cameraman to shoot a few highlights? There were plenty! Greenback has a couple players with power 5 offers, Meigs has a Mr Football winner that has committed to the naval academy, and they’re just going to be a box score. These teams have combined to go 75-9 over the past three years and all you’ll get to do is read the stat line. That’s downright sorry in my opinion. Missed a great opportunity to report on what was by far the best matchup on this side of the state, ESPECIALLY in the smaller classifications. 

All the newspapers are owned by the Left and care nothing about sports. The best thing anyone can do is not read the things and hope they all go out of business. It's a sad world we live in when you have thousands of people at one place in town on a Friday Night and you pick up the paper the next day and 2 Crackheads that are worthless as titties on a bullfrog's pictures are on the front page in their new orange outfits they'll be wearing until they make bail..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TigerNation said:

This has bothered me tonight. Apparently Greenback suffers from the same geographical problem that Meigs does, but did anyone notice any news/press crews outside of local papers? These two teams are ranked in the top 5 of their classifications, playing in an awesome environment in front of a packed house and there were zero news Crews there to report the game from Chattanooga or Knoxville? Can’t even send a cameraman to shoot a few highlights? There were plenty! Greenback has a couple players with power 5 offers, Meigs has a Mr Football winner that has committed to the naval academy, and they’re just going to be a box score. These teams have combined to go 75-9 over the past three years and all you’ll get to do is read the stat line. That’s downright sorry in my opinion. Missed a great opportunity to report on what was by far the best matchup on this side of the state, ESPECIALLY in the smaller classifications. 

I've noticed that too, I wonder why we get a televised game against Polk County in the future but everyone passes up on a game of this caliber. Nothing against Polk County but they arent of Greenbacks caliber. If you want viewers wouldn't you want to show a better game?

6 minutes ago, harley04 said:

Imthayeti you should be a sports writer, last night sitting here reading post was like I was at game or games. :mrgreen:

Haha wish that were the case. It's hard on me to post updates alot of times due to holding a camcorder all the time. I do what I can though. Southtowner and O&B did a really good job for us and I appreciate them for it. 

48 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

1 remaining of 2

10 rushing yards?

6 hours ago, Wavo2004 said:

Can either team give Peabody a game

Realistically probably not right now. Not due to lack of skill but lack of reps/games under our belt this season to this point. Quite a few additions this year to the starting lineups. We arent just completely polished up yet, but come playoff time be it Meigs, Trousdale, or Tyner ( Seem to be the frontrunners) will be ready. The West has won quite a few back to back championships in 2A even if yall had to rob Marion from it to do it a couple years. (Look up what Trezevant did to be able to field players). But every time whoever represents gives the West a good game. This year should be no different. Right now I'd say Tyner is in the drivers seat. Had some great preseason wins in scrimmages followed by putting up 60+ points in their first outing. We will see, I'm biased somewhat but I also try to be a realist about it too.

Edited by Imthayeti