Greeneville @ The Hill

DevilMan03

8 hours ago, GaryGaines said:

I have no answer. I'm just stating the facts that in many counties it is very had to change schools if they are zoned. It has alot to do with politics I'm sure. Again I'm stating that being an open zone county gives you an advantage. I'm taking nothing away from the program.

Then 80% of the public schools in TN would have that same advantage since they are open zoned.  Time, hard work, and coaching is what give you an advantage not that you School Board has a transfer on File.

I still don't understand how people don't think Knox Co is open zoned.  Here is an article about dead lines to apply to 3 schools outside your zone a year.  You also have a principle of and Elementary School in Knox Co that states of the 560 students at her school over 250 of them attend from outside their zone.

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/transfer-deadline-draws-near-for-kcs-families/

3 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Then 80% of the public schools in TN would have that same advantage since they are open zoned.  Time, hard work, and coaching is what give you an advantage not that you School Board has a transfer on File.

I still don't understand how people don't think Knox Co is open zoned.  Here is an article about dead lines to apply to 3 schools outside your zone a year.  You also have a principle of and Elementary School in Knox Co that states of the 560 students at her school over 250 of them attend from outside their zone.

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/transfer-deadline-draws-near-for-kcs-families/

Because it's not open zoned and I think that number is far less than you think. Williamson is zoned. Knox zoned. Rutherford zoned. Montgomery zoned. Sumner zoned.  Many of the biggest counties in the state are zoned. I understand that they work hard and have a great program BUT they have an advantage over most high schools. FACTS.

41 minutes ago, GaryGaines said:

Because it's not open zoned and I think that number is far less than you think. Williamson is zoned. Knox zoned. Rutherford zoned. Montgomery zoned. Sumner zoned.  Many of the biggest counties in the state are zoned. I understand that they work hard and have a great program BUT they have an advantage over most high schools. FACTS.

Thats what you're not getting every school in Greene Co has their zones (Bus routes that pick kids up in their zone and take them to their zoned high school) the same as the counties you mentioned above but students can apply to transfer and follow the policy on file that noonesfool has laid out. (He would know as a former VP of Greeneville High School and now at Briarcrest Christian unless he finally retired for good).  Williamson county own website states open zoned schools for the school year (https://www.wcs.edu/infocus/2019/03/open-zoned-schools-approved-for-2019-20-school-year/).

It's not what i think it's what a Principle of a Knox Co school stated that over 250 of her students are not Zoned for the School she is principal of but they still attend.  Once again I ask you what would you classify a school system that a student zoned for one school can apply for a transfer and attend another school they are not zoned for?  What would you classify the 250 students that are not zoned for the Elementary School but still attend?

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE What's your take on it from a west, Tn perspective? 

19 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Thats what you're not getting every school in Greene Co has their zones (Bus routes that pick kids up in their zone and take them to their zoned high school) the same as the counties you mentioned above but students can apply to transfer and follow the policy on file that noonesfool has laid out. (He would know as a former VP of Greeneville High School and now at Briarcrest Christian unless he finally retired for good).  Williamson county own website states open zoned schools for the school year (https://www.wcs.edu/infocus/2019/03/open-zoned-schools-approved-for-2019-20-school-year/).

It's not what i think it's what a Principle of a Knox Co school stated that over 250 of her students are not Zoned for the School she is principal of but they still attend.  Once again I ask you what would you classify a school system that a student zoned for one school can apply for a transfer and attend another school they are not zoned for?  What would you classify the 250 students that are not zoned for the Elementary School but still attend?

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE What's your take on it from a west, Tn perspective? 

I am speaking as an educator/administrator with 20+ years of experience. The vast majority of public schools systems in TN are open zoned. Individual schools within a given system will all having a specific zone in which students that live within that zone may attend and transportation must be provided. However local school boards have the power to set policies that allow students from outside the zone to attend. If a policy is in place that allows students from outside the zone to attend for any reason the are considered an open zone school system. I looked at Williamson Co’s Online board policy and policy number 1.703 makes them open zone with out a doubt. If a school is closed zone which are few and far between the local school board has all the power to change that by creating or amending policy. 

I'll toss my two cents into this.For decades, Greeneville played against schools that had many times their students  .When I played, there were three classifications and Greeneville was 3A.You didn't hear players pissing and moaning about schools beings three times our size .Players loved taking on the big guys even if it was a loss.One more thing,you didn't hear  people outside of Greeneville crying about the Devils getting beat by a Jeff county  either .It made a lot of folks happy.Now,when the Devils started playing where they should have and it became a level playing field for us,I didn't like it at first because I was old school.Well, I was wrong .A lot of folks say Greeneville has an unfair advantage .I will have to agree with those folks and here is why.Not every year but a lot of the time,If you turn something  loose that is  as mean as a Greeneville Greene Devil and expect that something the same size is going to stop it, well then that is just not a fair fight !

Edited by BatmanDevil

17 hours ago, Swipes said:

I get what you are saying but in the eyes of the TSSAA Knox Co is classified as open zoned since there is a transfer policy on file and someone can in fact go to a school that one is not zoned for by following the steps attached.  https://www.knoxschools.org/Page/8108 .  Schools that are truly closed zoned will take no transfer no matter what

It's the same way one would apply to attend another County School in Greene Co.  You can't just show up and walk into school you want to on the first day.  Has to be approved, has to have capacity available at the school,  have to keep grades up and stay out  trouble or they will kick you out Star Player or not.  (I've seen this happen to Greeneville's 2nd most passing yards record holder behind Cade)

Then in the eyes of the TSSAA, by your reasoning every school system in the state would be considered open zone.  They all have a transfer policy.  They are required to.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HTV said:

Then in the eyes of the TSSAA, by your reasoning every school system in the state would be considered open zone.  They all have a transfer policy.  They are required to.  

All School Systems don't have a transfer Policy on file.  Trousdale Co would be an example. Each School Board makes the decision on how they run their school system rather it be allowing transfer to happen or not allowing transfer's to happen. TSSAA has no say so in this

Any School that can receive a student that is not zoned for that particle school is open zoned no matter the reason behind it like BPM stated earlier.  Thats why over 80% of the Public High Schools would be classified as open-zone.  What else would you call it Transfer-Zone Schools?   

All School Systems don't have a transfer Policy on file.  Trousdale Co would be an example. Each School Board makes the decision on how they run their school system rather it be allowing transfer to happen or not allowing transfer's to happen. TSSAA has no say so in this

Any School that can receive a student that is not zoned for that particle school is open zoned no matter the reason behind it like BPM stated earlier.  Thats why over 80% of the Public High Schools would be classified as open-zone.  What else would you call it Transfer-Zone Schools?   

And you just made my point.  Each school board makes a decision on transfers.  Unless they don't accept transfers for any reason then by your definition they would all be open zone.  

22 minutes ago, HTV said:

And you just made my point.  Each school board makes a decision on transfers.  Unless they don't accept transfers for any reason then by your definition they would all be open zone.  

Each School Board does make a decision if they want a transfer Policy on file or if they do not want one on file.  No one is making the school board put a transfer Policy on file. (They are not required to do so like you stated).  If one can attend a school that one is not zoned for (No Matter the Reason) then it is open zone point blank period it can't be called anything else.  That is the definition of an Open Zoned School System.

What would you classify Knox Co School System as then?

Ex.  Little Johnny lives in the Karns School zone but Little Johnny's parents want him to attend West High School because they have the International Baccalaureate program that is not offered at Karns were Johnny is Zoned for.  Parents apply for a transfer and get it approved for Johnny to attend West even though he still lives in the Karns Zone.  So in a closed zone school system this would not even by an option for little Johnny but Open-Zoned it is.

Edited by Swipes

1 minute ago, lawnman said:

Greeneville is doing nothing wrong and they have great coaches and players that are willing to work and do what it takes to win and that’s the bottom line.Swipes your fighting a loosing battle with this bunch of posters.

I get it man :lol:.  I just hate people throwing stones when the school system they are apart of is classified as an Open Zoned School the same as Greeneville, Greene Co. , and at least 80% of public schools in the state fall under the same category.  People need to educate themself on what is closed zoned and what is open zoned  

I get it man :lol:.  I just hate people throwing stones when the school system they are apart of is classified as an Open Zoned School the same as Greeneville, Greene Co. , and at least 80% of public schools in the state fall under the same category.  People need to educate themself on what is closed zoned and what is open zoned  

You are correct and a lot of people are jealous and just have to find something to complain about.

• Upvote 1