Franklin County Coaching Search

Foolsball101

30 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Opposing teams in the region especially and teams around the area. He’s known as the big cheerleader who is very loud!

so to sum this up, opposing teams dont like our PA announcer because he is too loud and is an unapologetic supporter of the home team who he is employed by? Personally as someone who needs names shared for play by play purposes i enjoy going to games where i can hear on the opposing sidelines the names of kids who score, etc... Summit has a very loud PA announcer who is obviously a huge supporter of the Spartans but i left that stadium having had a good time! The PA announcer should be a supporter of the home team with respect to the visiting team and he does that very well      

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, REBELFAN70 said:

so to sum this up, opposing teams dont like our PA announcer because he is too loud and is an unapologetic supporter of the home team who he is employed by? Personally as someone who needs names shared for play by play purposes i enjoy going to games where i can hear on the opposing sidelines the names of kids who score, etc... Summit has a very loud PA announcer who is obviously a huge supporter of the Spartans but i left that stadium having had a good time! The PA announcer should be a supporter of the home team with respect to the visiting team and he does that very well      

That’s where most people disagree completely with you. His job is to be the PA announcer, not a hometown cheerleader with a mix of radio play by play and color commentary! If he’s somewhat biased so be it, but you have to call the game as a PA announcer should. He acts as a fan or cheerleader way too much and it’s not his job to do that or to be the radio broadcaster either. Loving his team is fine, but you have to draw the line when you’re behind the mike as a PA guy. Yard lines, names, down and distance, explanations of the plays...that’s his job. I have experience obviously. When it turns into cheerleading loudly and “great tackle”, “great move”, “great catch”, that is simply not PA announcing...it’s fandom and/or hometown radio color commentary on the radio. Very simple.

1 minute ago, sportsguy22 said:

That’s where most people disagree completely with you. His job is to be the PA announcer, not a hometown cheerleader with a mix of radio play by play and color commentary! If he’s somewhat biased so be it, but you have to call the game as a PA announcer should. He acts as a fan or cheerleader way too much and it’s not his job to do that or to be the radio broadcaster either. Loving his team is fine, but you have to draw the line when you’re behind the mike as a PA guy. Yard lines, names, down and distance, explanations of the plays...that’s his job. I have experience obviously. When it turns into cheerleading loudly and “great tackle”, “great move”, “great catch”, that is simply not PA announcing...it’s fandom and/or hometown radio color commentary on the radio. Very simple.

It's called homefield advantage for a reason. I got no problem with PA announcer being slanted towards the host school. These guys are basically doing it for free so if they want to be a glorified cheerleader, go for it

4 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

It's called homefield advantage for a reason. I got no problem with PA announcer being slanted towards the host school. These guys are basically doing it for free so if they want to be a glorified cheerleader, go for it

It is more understandable at the high school level for those reasons, but it’s still unprofessional for the job they are doing. Some are obviously better than others....and some are just horrible in every way, including mispronunciations and wrong information constantly, etc ...besides all the screaming and cheerleading. Such is life.

Just now, sportsguy22 said:

It is more understandable at the high school level for those reasons, but it’s still unprofessional for the job they are doing. Some are obviously better than others....and some are just horrible in every way, including mispronunciations and wrong information constantly, etc ...besides all the screaming and cheerleading. Such is life.

I'm very much a numbers guy and enjoy a by the book PA experience as much as the next guy, but there is no right or wrong way to do it well as long as they don't trash the opposition

9 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

i get what you are saying, i just disagree. I believe every parent wants to hear their kids name called out as a "great tackle" or "great touchdown" they are not going to hear that at an away game, and i have no problem with home team PA announcers propping up their own kids! I just dont believe the home fans have a problem with our PA guy being excited about our kids, may be wrong, but like i said i have never heard this complaint 

12 minutes ago, REBELFAN70 said:

i get what you are saying, i just disagree. I believe every parent wants to hear their kids name called out as a "great tackle" or "great touchdown" they are not going to hear that at an away game, and i have no problem with home team PA announcers propping up their own kids! I just dont believe the home fans have a problem with our PA guy being excited about our kids, may be wrong, but like i said i have never heard this complaint 

Different strokes for different folks. It’s not gonna change regardless. In my opinion, it gets out of hand sometimes and can be silly and childish. Many times, these guys place themselves as the center of attention and think they are the draw when it’s actually the players....it’s sad in my opinion. Simple is better.

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

I'm very much a numbers guy and enjoy a by the book PA experience as much as the next guy, but there is no right or wrong way to do it well as long as they don't trash the opposition

I might have to disagree to an extent.  I was at a McGavock game one year and the PA announcer was very over the top.  When our QB gave a great fake and took the ball around the end, the PA guy said over loudspeaker, it’s a fake he’s coming around this side, somebody needs to make a tackle.  That is uncalled for and definitely a wrong way to do it.  I have heard plenty of good ones and plenty of bad ones too!  Smyrna used to have a terrible one back in the 90’s.  

Edited by GWAVE1