Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

T$$AA and the NCAA are all about the money and not the students. It's  a big business. I know you have to have rules in place but make them cut and dry so we don't have to keep having these discussions over and over.  Don't come after someone when the season is almost over. Put a date out there and make the TSSAA sign it and be accountable themselves.  Every team should have a roster filled out from that date and that's it, no exceptions, hardships or whatever. 

29 minutes ago, Salem said:

There isn't time to go through the appeals process that TSSAA is in charge of and  get in the playoffs.  The more severe penalty is missing the playoffs and not the fine. What if FHS gets a ruling in their favor AFTER the playoffs begin? They get their $600 refunded and still missed the playoffs.

IF TSSAA had ruled correctly in September then Fayetteville would have had time to go through the appeals process. Instead TSSAA revisited an old case and made a ruling 6 days before the final game of the season. As yet they have not revealed any new bombshell evidence that changed their decision. 

TSSAA immediately scrubbed FHS' wins and region standing. Time was of the essence and after a weekend of deliberation with legal counsel the school system decided this was their best recourse. 

In simplest terms as PullinGuard has noted it goes like this. 

Fayetteville submits information about transfer student. 

1_Did any information provided cover that bus route clause?

2_Was it accurate?

3_Is this a negligence in information gathered and submitted issue?

4_Is this a botched ruling by the TSSAA or was their initial ruling correct with the information provided them via Fayetteville? 

5_The answer should be between 3&4 if I was a guessing man. 

I also would have to lay blame on Fayetteville for the bus clause thing. I mean if the rules are accessible, your job is to investigate, determine, and submit your own ruling  for someone to make you LEGAL according to your own compliance of said rules then HOW did you miss this. If I was the judge I'd rule in favor of the TSSAA for that alone. And I'm not even a fan of the TSSAA if that tells you anything. It would seems there were black and white rules and they were either ignored or disregarded. Simplest terms.

5 minutes ago, sportman said:

T$$AA and the NCAA are all about the money and not the students. It's  a big business. I know you have to have rules in place but make them cut and dry so we don't have to keep having these discussions over and over.  Don't come after someone when the season is almost over. Put a date out there and make the TSSAA sign it and be accountable themselves.  Every team should have a roster filled out from that date and that's it, no exceptions, hardships or whatever. 

What if someone moves to another school or comes from out of state?  Are they just out of luck?

10 minutes ago, leadfarmer said:

There are only about 10 schools total consisting of mainly small Christian Academies. What I'm getting at is the TSSAA essentially has a monopoly over Tennessee high school sports.

Bingo! If you want to participate on a large scale with competitive competition in Tennessee, then you gotta be a member of the TSSAA. I’m not sure if you could be an independent and still play against member schools. Playoffs and championships would be out for sure.

1 minute ago, sportman said:

at the beginning of each season there is a deadline in each sport for the school to submit their roster through the online eligibility portal.   Inside that portal the school is declaring each athlete as eligible.  This is done by answering a series of questions on a online form.   

Questions such as "When did the student enter 9th grade?", "Did the student earn enough credits in the previous school year?", Was the student enrolled in this school for the previous 12 months?"  etc.   

when one question is answered it generates the next question based on the previous answer.   at the end of the questions it delcares the student eligible or ineligible.  the person filling out the form could change answers until the form says "eligible" if they wanted to .    Schools are expected to be truthful on these forms.   

In the case of transfer students the form will make the person fill out a separate form that must be reviewed by a person at the tssaa.  

Again, this information is self-reported and the tssaa expects schools to be honest on the form.   

investigations and punishments later in the season happens when the tssaa is tipped off and investigates and finds that inaccurate info was given to them. 

1 minute ago, Crock1615 said:

at the beginning of each season there is a deadline in each sport for the school to submit their roster through the online eligibility portal.   Inside that portal the school is declaring each athlete as eligible.  This is done by answering a series of questions on a online form.   

Questions such as "When did the student enter 9th grade?", "Did the student earn enough credits in the previous school year?", Was the student enrolled in this school for the previous 12 months?"  etc.   

when one question is answered it generates the next question based on the previous answer.   at the end of the questions it delcares the student eligible or ineligible.  the person filling out the form could change answers until the form says "eligible" if they wanted to .    Schools are expected to be truthful on these forms.   

In the case of transfer students the form will make the person fill out a separate form that must be reviewed by a person at the tssaa.  

Again, this information is self-reported and the tssaa expects schools to be honest on the form.   

investigations and punishments later in the season happens when the tssaa is tipped off and investigates and finds that inaccurate info was given to them. 

Great information, thank you.