Summertown comes to Waverly Round 1

vandyfan1

3 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Absolutely. They were big, fast, always in position, and swarmed the ball in numbers. When they got to you, they delivered a shot, and the rest didn't take it for granted that their teammate had the tackle made, they wanted to hit you before the whistle blew too. Very few teams that I've ever seen in person could check all the boxes that I've mentioned without leaving the impression that they "played dirty" or would cheap shot someone if they had the chance, but the Tigers were classy in the way they went about business... I'm sure that there's film still out there on them from '16 if you want to see it for yourselves. We (SH) had a very potent offense that year and managed only two touchdowns in two games against them.

Sounds liek you are reading form a John Feinstein book 

21 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

Sounds liek you are reading form a John Feinstein book 

Like I said, look at the video. I know that it sounds like an embellishment, but trust me that it's the truth. If there's no video available, you can go back to the '16 season team schedule on here and look at the scores, then look at the scores of the teams for the season that they faced.

Matter of fact, I'll do that for us and edit this post when I'm finished... I'm curious now myself.

Edit

OK... here's what I found.

In 14 games Waverly averaged giving up 18 points a game to 10 playoff teams, three of which were 3AAA and their loss to Trez. Since most of their games were blowout wins, you'd have to assume that at least some of the points given up were on the second team.

They gave up 14 to us in the playoffs after we averaged almost 40 per game against 1A semifinalist Wayne Co, Riverside, Lewis Co. (twice), and #1 ranked Adamsville, among eight playoff teams that year.

Believe that they were as great as advertised or not... you have to admit that the numbers against very good competition says that they were at least very good. 

Edited by tradertwo