Round 1: Sullivan North @ Oneida

crow

I went to high school many moons ago @ Sullivan North. I have followed their sports programs ever since graduating from there in 1989. I've seen North play twice this season. Both were losses to South Greene (22-0) & also to Cloudland to end the season (20-14 OT). Let me just say this is a North football team that doesn't play with any discipline. They are turnover prone as well. I know Coach Patrick & this is not a typical North team you should see with him coaching. I don't know what's going on but North just doesn't play smart football at all.

North as has been the case for years & years is a running football team. They rarely throw more than 3-5 times a game. This year though North has 2 real speedsters in Hill @ WR & Potter out of the backfield that they line up @ WR sometimes. They also have another younger player in Brandon Roberts as a sophomore that is a burner as well. This is why I don't understand North doesn't throw the ball more. I guess Coach Patrick doesn't sway away at all from his coaching style regardless of the skill positions. North does have 4 RB's that are all capable of running the ball including QB Hartsock. However, they are just too predictable. Now, people could say with 4 solid RB's it would be hard to key on one certain player to carry the ball. Well, their offensive formations in my opinion gives it away. 

I will say some teams even if they know what's coming can't stop North's running game. However, those teams are the weaker teams from the area. When North faced South Greene, Hampton, & Cloudland their running game was kept in check. The only decent team in their conference North was able to run the ball against was Happy Valley. North lead the conference in total penalties per game & was 2nd in turnovers. They did have quite a few takeaways though so that offset some of their own turnovers. North had at least one personal foul penalty in about every game this season. Too many players losing their cool. That's where I mention this team has major discipline problems & I'm quite surprised by this from a Coach Patrick team.

I don't know too much about Oneida. I have taken a look at their schedule & results. Oneida probably plays in a tougher overall conference than North. 6-4 isn't a great record considering their opponents but they lost 3 tough games as well. I also checked in on their stats. They seem to be a team that's inconsistent on offense but pretty steady on defense. They held a very good ranked Greenback team to 20 points in a 20-7 loss. They lost to ranked Upperman by a score of 25-6. They lost 24-3 to traditional state powerhouse & ranked #2 Meigs County. Those are 3 pretty tough opponents on their schedule. They weren't blown out by any of those teams. They beat a ranked King's Academy team about a month ago. Of course, to end the season they lost in a close game 22-14 to Coalfield.

From what I've seen out of North I see only a very small chance North can win this game. If North can play their best game & keep their cool & not turn the ball over they could have a chance. I'm not confident in that happening though. I think Oneida is clearly a better team overall. North might run some gimmick plays to pull off an upset but I give that about a 10%-15% chance in happening. I predict Oneida to win 33-16.

Edited by tonybologna

22 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

I went to high school many moons ago @ Sullivan North. I have followed their sports programs ever since graduating from there in 1989. I've seen North play twice this season. Both were losses to South Greene (22-0) & also to Cloudland to end the season (20-14 OT). Let me just say this is a North football team that doesn't play with any discipline. They are turnover prone as well. I know Coach Patrick & this is not a typical North team you should see with him coaching. I don't know what's going on but North just doesn't play smart football at all.

North as has been the case for years & years is a running football team. They rarely throw more than 3-5 times a game. This year though North has 2 real speedsters in Hill @ WR & Potter out of the backfield that they line up @ WR sometimes. They also have another younger player in Brandon Roberts as a sophomore that is a burner as well. This is why I don't understand North doesn't throw the ball more. I guess Coach Patrick doesn't sway away at all from his coaching style regardless of the skill positions. North does have 4 RB's that are all capable of running the ball including QB Hartsock. However, they are just too predictable. Now, people could say with 4 solid RB's it would be hard to key on one certain player to carry the ball. Well, their offensive formations in my opinion gives it away. 

I will say some teams even if they know what's coming can't stop North's running game. However, those teams are the weaker teams from the area. When North faced South Greene, Hampton, & Cloudland their running game was kept in check. The only decent team in their conference North was able to run the ball against was Happy Valley. North lead the conference in total penalties per game & was 2nd in turnovers. They did have quite a few takeaways though so that offset some of their own turnovers. North had at least one personal foul penalty in about every game this season. Too many players losing their cool. That's where I mention this team has major discipline problems & I'm quite surprised by this from a Coach Patrick team.

I don't know too much about Oneida. I have taken a look at their schedule & results. Oneida probably plays in a tougher overall conference than North. 6-4 isn't a great record considering their opponents but they lost 3 tough games as well. I also checked in on their stats. They seem to be a team that's inconsistent on offense but pretty steady on defense. They held a very good ranked Greenback team to 20 points in a 20-7 loss. They lost to ranked Upperman by a score of 25-6. They lost 24-3 to traditional state powerhouse & ranked #2 Meigs County. Those are 3 pretty tough opponents on their schedule. They weren't blown out by any of those teams. They beat a ranked King's Academy team about a month ago. Of course, to end the season they lost in a close game 22-14 to Coalfield.

From what I've seen out of North I see only a very small chance North can win this game. If North can play their best game & keep their cool & not turn the ball over they could have a chance. I'm not confident in that happening though. I think Oneida is clearly a better team overall. North might run some gimmick plays to pull off an upset but I give that about a 10%-15% chance in happening. I predict Oneida to win 33-16.

Now that folks, is a man that knows how to post a prediction. He's done more homework than I have this week. Thanks for the post TB!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, crow said:

Now that folks, is a man that knows how to post a prediction. He's done more homework than I have this week. Thanks for the post TB!

I made my post not seeing Oneida play in person or on film at all. I just know what I've seen out of North this season. They are capable of pulling of an upset BUT nothing that's happened this season out of North tells me otherwise. Oneida just seems like the better team plus played a tougher schedule as well.

41 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

That’s one heck of an observation/scouting report!! Might pay you to go watch this game for me and tell me everything crow and then injuns do :popcorneater:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Uknolil said:

That’s one heck of an observation/scouting report!! Might pay you to go watch this game for me and tell me everything crow and then injuns do :popcorneater:

I can help ya there, I'm gonna lean on the fence, yell at the refs and eat nachos. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, crow said:

I can help ya there, I'm gonna lean on the fence, yell at the refs and eat nachos. 

I can also give you Onieda guys something to know in advance. North doesn't have a Kicker. Well, they have one but he's not a true Kicker. He's our starting LB. He's had foot problems off & on all season long. North will go for 2 point conversions 80% of the time after a TD. This is why North has some weird scores sometimes this season. We might try one but I can guarantee it won't be pretty. LOL! :D

1 hour ago, tonybologna said:

Very well done.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tonybologna said:

I made my post not seeing Oneida play in person or on film at all. I just know what I've seen out of North this season. They are capable of pulling of an upset BUT nothing that's happened this season out of North tells me otherwise. Oneida just seems like the better team plus played a tougher schedule as well.

Are you the Tonybologna that posted on Volnation