Rhea Co. @ Powell Round 2

Rhea Co.

15 minutes ago, 57eagle said:

Just curious...............what happens should Powell have to forfeit games due to illegal recruiting? Especially if they win the state title. How fair would that be to Rhea County who lost to them in the playoffs?

T$$AA does not care about fairness. Look at some of their decisions on eligibility through out their history. Some notable ones would be the Weissman/Memphis East case, the Signal MTN case, the recent Fayetteville case, Memphis Central/Freedom Prep case, Regie Grimes/Mt. Juliet/Ravenwood case, MBA case, BA case, Powell cases in the past involving Francis, Daniel, Smith ,Huber and the current Powell case. Which one of those were fair. I am sure there are more.

12 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

T$$AA does not care about fairness. Look at some of their decisions on eligibility through out their history. Some notable ones would be the Weissman/Memphis East case, the Signal MTN case, the recent Fayetteville case, Memphis Central/Freedom Prep case, Regie Grimes/Mt. Juliet/Ravenwood case, MBA case, BA case, Powell cases in the past involving Francis, Daniel, Smith ,Huber and the current Powell case. Which one of those were fair. I am sure there are more.

What a shame..........

44 minutes ago, 57eagle said:

Just curious...............what happens should Powell have to forfeit games due to illegal recruiting? Especially if they win the state title. How fair would that be to Rhea County who lost to them in the playoffs?

I believe they are investigating coaches speaking with players after games so I would assume a punishment (if any at all) would be to a coach and not to the team. 

2 minutes ago, KnoxCoSports1 said:

I believe they are investigating coaches speaking with players after games so I would assume a punishment (if any at all) would be to a coach and not to the team. 

This is a very odd case and I believe to be new for TSSAA.  I think a precedent will be set from this, so TSSAA should take some consideration before issuing their punishment. 

43 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

This is a very odd case and I believe to be new for TSSAA.  I think a precedent will be set from this, so TSSAA should take some consideration before issuing their punishment. 

Agree. Not sure it is fair to just end their season or make them forfeit if the only allegations are coaches recruiting players after a game. Not fair to the kids IMO

4 minutes ago, KnoxCoSports1 said:

Agree. Not sure it is fair to just end their season or make them forfeit if the only allegations are coaches recruiting players after a game. Not fair to the kids IMO

If they don't move in this direction though, they could be opening the doors wide open for "recruiting" across the state.  Either side you spin it, any punishment could realistically be argued as either too harsh or not harsh enough. 

16 minutes ago, KnoxCoSports1 said:

Powell, After being on probation for the Francis kid, denying it and being turned in by other Knox County schools, then saying it was a clerical error, and now this, the punishment should be the most severe. Was it the Powell players fault the Lowe and staff/support staff recruited a running back from West that lived in the Karns zone and had siblings a Karns. Then Powell administration says the did not realize the player did not live in their zone? Severe punishment for severe rule violations. I bet the players on the Powell team knew where the Francis kid lived.    I am surprised the the Powell community supports Lowe and his staff/support staff. His recruiting strategy says out loud the the players that live in the defined Powell zone are not good enough to win at Powell, so he must recruit players from outside the defined Powell zone. Powell must not have as strong a community as most people had thought.

21 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Powell, After being on probation for the Francis kid, denying it and being turned in by other Knox County schools, then saying it was a clerical error, and now this, the punishment should be the most severe. Was it the Powell players fault the Lowe and staff/support staff recruited a running back from West that lived in the Karns zone and had siblings a Karns. Then Powell administration says the did not realize the player did not live in their zone? Severe punishment for severe rule violations. I bet the players on the Powell team knew where the Francis kid lived.    I am surprised the the Powell community supports Lowe and his staff/support staff. His recruiting strategy says out loud the the players that live in the defined Powell zone are not good enough to win at Powell, so he must recruit players from outside the defined Powell zone. Powell must not have as strong a community as most people had thought.

I'm not arguing in Powell's favor at all here FYI. Totally agree with you that it is sad people in the community stand for this. Especially since he is so smug an arrogant about it on social media. 

Just not sure how they can continue punishing the kids/team when it is a coach/administration problem!