DA v. USJ for the DII-A Gold Ball

Bellsburg2

46 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Undoubtedly the teams are, but sadly, that's not why it's so quiet.

750,000 people in Nashville and Jackson combined have resulted in about 10 posts so far... two small rural (1A/2A) schools in Tn. playing for a state title usually have 100+ pages in the one week between the semi's and the championship. 

I wouldn't trade the atmosphere in "my" little town for anything... most people think that private school kids "have it all", they just don't know what they're missing.

95 of those 100 pages are from 5 posters going back and forth.  I think our players and fans enjoyed the atmosphere at NCS last week.  You can create an "atmosphere' in other ways than posting on a message board.    Did you see how many people USJ brought to the 2011 championship?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Undoubtedly the teams are, but sadly, that's not why it's so quiet.

750,000 people in Nashville and Jackson combined have resulted in about 10 posts so far... two small rural (1A/2A) schools in Tn. playing for a state title usually have 100+ pages in the one week between the semi's and the championship. 

I wouldn't trade the atmosphere in "my" little town for anything... most people think that private school kids "have it all", they just don't know what they're missing.

That’s why I stay On D1 boards. More fun and no thin skins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigEdMo said:

That’s why I stay On D1 boards. More fun and no thin skins. 

I must agree Big Ed. The D1 boards are much more entertaining. I've also gained many friends who I met over the years on the D1 boards. I will admit and I'm happy to say that I have also met one very good friend on the D2 boards from Columbia Academy. Thank you Mr. Tom. While I don't think any of them are on the D2 board , I also gained several friends and much respect  for the people who run the Press Box's at both Clarksville Academy and Fayette Academy. Big Ed is also correct in the fact that there are not nearly as many thin skin folks over on the D1 side of things.

Anyhow, I will now get back on topic. My thoughts are that this game will either be won or lost by the play of the usj offensive line. It is no secret that the quarterbacks for usj are not very mobile. If DA is able to put pressure on the usj QB, it could be a long afternoon for the Bruins. If this game comes down to place kicking and punting, I give the strong edge to usj. It is my opinion that by the time he graduates, the kicker for usj should merit serious consideration as the Mr football kicker of the year. I think he is that talented. 

I will not make a prediction of a winner in this game. I will say that I wish travel mercies for players and fans of both teams and I pray for an injury free game.

Edited by ReitzFan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, USJalum88 said:

95 of those 100 pages are from 5 posters going back and forth.  I think our players and fans enjoyed the atmosphere at NCS last week.  You can create an "atmosphere' in other ways than posting on a message board.    Did you see how many people USJ brought to the 2011 championship?

Great post. The atmosphere at CPA v. Lipscomb was also very enjoyable. I miss the craziness of the 3A forum also, but we are here now and there are less people to feed the trolls... so, there are less trolls...

• Like 1

To pretend that the USJ program isn't supported because people aren't on CoachT arguing about petty nonsense and decades old grudges is ridiculous. Funny how the boosters (i.e. USJ supporters!) were getting blamed on here for meddling when the team was losing....Do the boosters get credit now??

I enjoy the banter as much as anyone, but let's be honest: message boards are a dying technology. It's just a few of us talking back and forth to ourselves. Who cares.

Anyway. Can't wait to watch this one.

DA humbled USJ the first time around. Their formula is to try to repeat that, control the line of scrimmage, pound the rock and run the clock.

I think USJ will be prepared for the level of physicality this time. They have the size up front, and the the front seven on D was very fast and physical against NCS. Weather looks good for tomorrow. On a turf field, USJ's speed and playmaking should be too much. I look for USJ to win this one going away and bring their first gold ball back to Jackson!

Either way, getting to play for a gold ball is a special day for these young men on both sides. Something they'll look back on for the rest of their lives.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Silly little guys tapping on a computer do not make atmosphere. Take a look in the stands, the school, the neighborhoods-I think you will see a mountain of support for D2 schools and the Bruins in particular. For all past teams and present, USJ deserves a gold ball. Hope they get it and hoist it high. Pulling for the Bruins big time!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, USJalum88 said:

95 of those 100 pages are from 5 posters going back and forth.  

On the class a championship thread I counted 19 different posters on the first three pages alone.  But then again who's counting? :lol: if you are going, have a safe trip in the morning.

Edited by ReitzFan

6 hours ago, chainsaw2 said:

Silly little guys tapping on a computer do not make atmosphere. Take a look in the stands, the school, the neighborhoods-I think you will see a mountain of support for D2 schools and the Bruins in particular. For all past teams and present, USJ deserves a gold ball. Hope they get it and hoist it high. Pulling for the Bruins big time!

Now silly little guy, tapping on a keyboard does not make atmosphere. On that I will agree. However, it doesn't hurt anything Silly. Otherwise, you would not be here on this message board tapping on the keyboard.

By the way, should USJ win on Thursday it will not be because they "deserve it" as you say. It will be because they EARNED it. 

Wishing travel mercies for you and the other Bruin faithful traveling to the game. May it be injury-free for the players as well.

Edited by ReitzFan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kublah said:

To pretend that the USJ program isn't supported because people aren't on CoachT arguing about petty nonsense and decades old grudges is ridiculous. Funny how the boosters (i.e. USJ supporters!) were getting blamed on here for meddling when the team was losing....Do the boosters get credit now??

I enjoy the banter as much as anyone, but let's be honest: message boards are a dying technology. It's just a few of us talking back and forth to ourselves. Who cares.

Anyway. Can't wait to watch this one.

DA humbled USJ the first time around. Their formula is to try to repeat that, control the line of scrimmage, pound the rock and run the clock.

I think USJ will be prepared for the level of physicality this time. They have the size up front, and the the front seven on D was very fast and physical against NCS. Weather looks good for tomorrow. On a turf field, USJ's speed and playmaking should be too much. I look for USJ to win this one going away and bring their first gold ball back to Jackson!

Either way, getting to play for a gold ball is a special day for these young men on both sides. Something they'll look back on for the rest of their lives.

Funny that you replied, as Bellsburg2 and yourself are the two USJ supporters on the planet that the jab was not directed toward at all. Both of you add football knowledge, insight, and credible opinions of the program whenever (if infrequently) you post. In recent years, it seems that it has become standard procedure to degrade teams/fans/posters, and even kids from opposing teams on here, and I don't agree with that philosophy at all... having said that, I did lean pretty heavily on the USJ posters, and painted with a broad brush to illicit some response to get this topic going again before the game. While I agree that what is posted here has no bearing in the real world, I also believe that the USJ "community" should be excited to the point of entering into some conversation with those interested enough to view this topic, and add their insights and opinions.

In response to one particular question... yes, I'll credit the boosters and administration for taking a chance on Michael Stroup. For a program of USJ's prestige, it was a stretch to hire a first time head coach with a short (if successful) resume', and was against conventional thought. Coach impressed those in position to have that input with his treatment of kids and demeanor while coaching the WT All Star team, as much as did his record and coaching ability while at Scotts Hill, and to me, that speaks volumes about what USJ wants for their kids.

Please have the butler reading this to you to instruct your driver to be particularly cautious while transporting your family and yourself to the game tomorrow... it should be a day of celebration, may all enjoy safe travels to and from, and prayers that all involved finish the game standing.

• Thanks 1

The day has come. Getting  ready to head to Tucker stadium for the big match up. Looking for a good game for both teams, but obviously hopeful for a USJ Bruin victory. The Bruin faithful are in Cookeville en masse, and am sure that the DA folks are too. Going to be a good one. Safe travels for those still en route and prayers  for the teams to play injury-free.

Edited by Pledgemaster