AAA Individual State Predictions

TalkingSense

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

A coward he is definitely not.

I agree completely.  It is a rule, and needs to be followed for that sole reason.  The character of the athlete has nothing to do with the situation.  I hate it for the kid, but you can never fault an opposing coach or ref for a ruling like this.

I may be wrong, but if the officials are similar to the ones in this area, I believe their lax implementation of rules like this may be the real reason for this situation.  It blows my mind how often I see refs not make calls during the regular season, but come post season they are straight by the book.  I am talking about seeing kids cutting weight after weigh ins start, watching kids pull their straps down after a match right beside the table, allowing as many coaches, parents, teammates and whoever else to come down to the corner of the mat.  Its ridiculous, and even some calls during the match itself (riding a kids hips on top, not attempting a mat return on stand up, kids wrestling without laces covered- yes i know that rule has changed).  I feel like refs don't bother to make these calls during the regular season, or have a much more tolerant approach about it, but then actually follow the rules the way they were meant to be followed at the state and region tournaments.    It really creates bad habits for the kids, especially the ones that are new to wrestling.  

Theres a code of ethics section in the back of every NFHS rule book. One for coaches and another for officials. Dont blame these 2 entities for following the rules and abiding by the code of ethics they agree to every year when they sign up. 

Edited by DAKEKO

Just now, sx1234 said:

I agree completely.  It is a rule, and needs to be followed for that sole reason.  The character of the athlete has nothing to do with the situation.  I hate it for the kid, but you can never fault an opposing coach or ref for a ruling like this.

I may be wrong, but if the officials are similar to the ones in this area, I believe their lax implementation of rules like this may be the real reason for this situation.  It blows my mind how often I see refs not make calls during the regular season, but come post season they are straight by the book.  I am talking about seeing kids cutting weight after weigh ins start, watching kids pull their straps down after a match right beside the table, allowing as many coaches, parents, teammates and whoever else to come down to the corner of the mat.  Its ridiculous, and even some calls during the match itself (riding a kids hips on top, not attempting a mat return on stand up, kids wrestling without laces covered- yes i know that rule has changed).  I feel like refs don't bother to make these calls during the regular season, or have a much more tolerant approach about it, but then actually follow the rules the way they were meant to be followed at the state and region tournaments.    It really creates bad habits for the kids, especially the ones that are new to wrestling.  

That’s BS, first as an official now for another sport there is always common sense. Rules are in place for the safety of those participating in the sport and truthfully that should be the only rules in place. Not some stupid not cut weight during weighs in or bringing your straps down after a match(unless you show your butt by doing so, which is what the rule should be). I do agree that if a refs see something like a kid cutting weight during weigh ins(not sure who the idiot was that came up with that stupid rule to begin with) does have to call it, however if a coach see’s that be a man and not a pu$$ and tell the wrestlers coach to put a stop to it. Instead we have a weenie coach taking it upon himself to turn a kid in. No way I can live with myself if I did that because I took away the chance for a kid to wrestle. Of course I guess I shouldn’t expect much more from the school that gave us Steve Spurrier. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAKEKO said:

Theres a code of ethics section in the back of every NFHS rule book. One for coaches and another for officials. Dont blame these 2 entities for following rules and abiding by the code ethics they agree to every year they sign up. 

It’s as simple as getting it stopped and if it doesn’t get referee involved. Ethics involve a lot more than just turning someone in, Especially for something so minute, but if that’s what helps you sleep at night good luck. I would make it my life mission if I was that kids parents to turn Science Hill in for every violation I can find and I promise every team out there has some kind of violation.

oh and also there’s a rule that a player cannot be sick an play their chosen sport. So how about we start making everyone at weigh ins start giving their temperature. That way if you have a slight fever you can’t wrestle. I mean rules are rules and I mean if half tour team misses the state tourney because the flu cane through your wrestle room we shouldn’t want to make other wrestlers sick just so yours can wrestle. 

Edited by cobrakid8

Why on earth would a “responsible” weight cutter be losing weight for me a one day tournament if he’s already .6/.8 under?

Why should the wrestler in question and the coaches of the wrestler not be punished for blatantly disregarding the rules?

Why are we questioning people who were following the rules? It all seems a bit backwards to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wannascrap said:

Why on earth would a “responsible” weight cutter be losing weight for me a one day tournament if he’s already .6/.8 under?

Why should the wrestler in question and the coaches of the wrestler not be punished for blatantly disregarding the rules?

Why are we questioning people who were following the rules? It all seems a bit backwards to me.

Well first why punish the wrestlers at all? These are kids and participating in a sport. For something like this I have NO problem at all(even though a stupid rule) to punish with a fine for the coach and/or program. But for something so trivial it doesn’t make sense. Maybe a warning to the kid who heck probably doesn’t even know the rule and a punishment for the coach. Real punishments for the kids should take place during the match when they illegally slam someone or bite someone or some other reason. But if you have never actually read the rule book front to back there are a lot of rules that don’t ever get called and that most no one even knows about. As I said maybe the refs should start bringing a thermometer to each match. Because a kid with even a slight elevated temp shouldn’t wrestle and I bet most all coaches have sent a wrestler out there while they were a little sick. 

17 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

I only mentioned his character as it is natural to wonder if the kid in question is a problem child.  Perhaps difficult or gives attitude towards other coaches and the refs.  He does not.  I have heard, from reliable sources, as I was not in the physical area, at that time, that multiple (many?) kids were cutting.  The issue is why was one, just one, DQ'd?  Do I personally think there was a conspiracy? Probably not.  However, if rules are rules then DQ them all.  Do I want to that happen? Of course not as IMO it was a foolish business and a warning would have sufficed.

But again, we as a team failed Ethan.  We are 100% at fault but choices were made and I've no problem airing those out for discussion.

13 minutes ago, Wannascrap said:

Honestly I think he was overly nervous about the weigh-ins.  We should have caught it and reigned it in.  We did fail.  Ethan paid the price.

The official in question, Rob Croxdale, is blatantly biased official towards Science Hill.  He thrives on being able to disqualify wrestlers and then brags about it.  This fact is well known throughout Region 1.  If  Science Hill coaches say jump, he says Yes sir!  Its sickening that Jimmy Miller and Caleb Myers use an official as their pawn.  But its a match made in heaven because none of the group have a speck of morals.

I am sorry for the others in Region 1 who have to deal them. 

1 hour ago, oceansize42 said:

I only mentioned his character as it is natural to wonder if the kid in question is a problem child.  Perhaps difficult or gives attitude towards other coaches and the refs.  He does not.  I have heard, from reliable sources, as I was not in the physical area, at that time, that multiple (many?) kids were cutting.  The issue is why was one, just one, DQ'd?  Do I personally think there was a conspiracy? Probably not.  However, if rules are rules then DQ them all.  Do I want to that happen? Of course not as IMO it was a foolish business and a warning would have sufficed.

But again, we as a team failed Ethan.  We are 100% at fault but choices were made and I've no problem airing those out for discussion.

If other kids were doing the same, and seen by an official (really seen, not someone saying "of course they saw them too" or "how could they not see them") then those kids should have been disqualified as well.  

Also, for some of you, I don't believe you understand the difference in agreeing with a rule, and agreeing to abide by a rule. 

11 minutes ago, 1993Viking said:

The official in question, Rob Croxdale, is blatantly biased official towards Science Hill.  He thrives on being able to disqualify wrestlers and then brags about it.  This fact is well known throughout Region 1.  If  Science Hill coaches say jump, he says Yes sir!  Its sickening that Jimmy Miller and Caleb Myers use an official as their pawn.  But its a match made in heaven because none of the group have a speck of morals.

I am sorry for the others in Region 1 who have to deal them. 

Do keep in mind that Miller and the ref were within the rules and Ethan was outside the rules.   Then why did I bother posting is the next obvious question?  IMO a coach should let the officials officiate and the coach's concerns should fall upon their own.  As for me I couldn't do this to a kid right or wrong.  If that hints at a lack of ethics within myself as a sideline participant in this sport then I'll live with that.

• Like 1