TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

13 hours ago, strongx said:

You would assume everybody doing something similar, at least in Knox. I was also told students in murvil would have an option of staying home. I assume alco will follow suit. #turfandjumbotron

Will kids in those systems have the options to stay home and still play? Dang, I was born 35 yrs too early! Lol

What I'm interested to see is how these school systems plan to accommodate staff/faculty, and what impact that will have on normal classroom activities (and extra-curricular activities like football). All of the attention is on protecting the students, but I think a big issue that is being overlooked in this discussion, based on the COVID statistics to date, is the status of faculty/staff members, especially those who are considered high risk (based on age and pre-existing conditions).

KCS is currently weighing that risk, so it will be interesting to see how that factors into the plan that they select.

35 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

What I'm interested to see is how these school systems plan to accommodate staff/faculty, and what impact that will have on normal classroom activities (and extra-curricular activities like football). All of the attention is on protecting the students, but I think a big issue that is being overlooked in this discussion, based on the COVID statistics to date, is the status of faculty/staff members, especially those who are considered high risk (based on age and pre-existing conditions).

KCS is currently weighing that risk, so it will be interesting to see how that factors into the plan that they select.

Recent poll in the USA Today stated that 1 out of 5 teachers are considering not teaching next year due to covid 19.  The vast majority of those were in the "at risk" group.

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Good point. Hopefully, plans will be in place to prevent school closures again. I like football as much as anybody, but school is first priority IMO.

1 hour ago, Joyful94 said:

Recent poll in the USA Today stated that 1 out of 5 teachers are considering not teaching next year due to covid 19.  The vast majority of those were in the "at risk" group.

My wife "retired" from KCS a few years ago. She said if she hadn't retired at that time, she would have zero desire to return to the classroom in 2020-21.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, osunut2 said:

My wife "retired" from KCS a few years ago. She said if she hadn't retired at that time, she would have zero desire to return to the classroom in 2020-21.

Coronavirus cases across Tennessee have risen to 27,869 as of June 10, according to the latest update from the Tennessee Department of Health. This marks an increase of 294 new cases since the June 9 update.

There have been 436 deaths, 1,990 cumulative hospitalizations and an estimated 18,516 recovered patients, according to the health department.

23 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Coronavirus cases across Tennessee have risen to 27,869 as of June 10, according to the latest update from the Tennessee Department of Health. This marks an increase of 294 new cases since the June 9 update.

There have been 436 deaths, 1,990 cumulative hospitalizations and an estimated 18,516 recovered patients, according to the health department.

Did you get the count of all the other deaths and Infectious diseases and hospitalizations as well during this time period? Also, the cumulative case count is useless like it would be for the flu. We just need the death count/seriously sick count compared to total cases and/or total population. 

Edited by sportsguy22

30 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Did you get the count of all the other deaths and Infectious diseases and hospitalizations as well during this time period? Also, the cumulative case count is useless like it would be for the flu. We just need the death count/seriously sick count compared to total cases and/or total population. 

Just reporting that a one day increase of 294 cases.  This is to emphasize the need to continue being safe as we return to normal. Quit being an jerk!. Trying reading the entire article. I am wanting sports back as much as you. I am just saying continue to be safe. If we want football this fall the number of cases daily needs to go down. If not we not have sports.  This is not a time to just be a big bad A and pretend this is nothing.

Edited by fb247

12 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Just reporting that a one day increase of 294 cases.  This is to emphasize the need to continue being safe as we return to normal. Quit being an jerk!. Trying reading the entire article. I am wanting sports back as much as you. I am just saying continue to be safe.

I certainly wasn’t trying to be a jerk whatsoever. We should all be safe and smart always, both now and forever. It’s just the increase in case count does not concern me at all. It’s just a numbers game the media plays. We just need to know the more important specifics. That’s all. Plus, I was just curious as to what those numbers are compared to the others.

3 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

I certainly wasn’t trying to be a jerk whatsoever. We should all be safe and smart always, both now and forever. It’s just the increase in case count does not concern me at all. It’s just a numbers game the media plays. We just need to know the more important specifics. That’s all. Plus, I was just curious as to what those numbers are compared to the others.

I agree. If numbers continue to be published showing   increasing cases school leaders and government officials will not reopen schools.  No school,  no sports.

14 minutes ago, fb247 said:

I agree. If numbers continue to be published showing   increasing cases school leaders and government officials will not reopen schools.  No school,  no sports.

That would be extremely sad. We won’t do that for the flu long term and we will have to live with this virus like we do with the flu and all other diseases. The vaccine is not the answer and never will be because half of the population won’t take it and it may or may not be largely effective anyway. We must live life with this virus moving forward, in a very smart and safe way. 

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

That would be extremely sad. We won’t do that for the flu long term and we will have to live with this virus like we do with the flu and all other diseases. The vaccine is not the answer and never will be because half of the population won’t take it and it may or may not be largely effective anyway. We must live life with this virus moving forward, in a very smart and safe way. 

I'm glad that our society didn't share your sentiment about polio in the 1940s and 50s. I don't entirely disagree though.

I'm on the fence because, relatively speaking, we still know very little about this virus, so people need to stop acting like we have this thing pegged. We've only been studying this virus for a handful of months in the US, at best. That isn't nearly long enough to understand the epidemiology associated with this illness. We've also been dealing with a poor and/or incomplete data set for months, and we are just now to the point where our testing data is providing better quality statistics. Which is exactly why those early mortality predictions were an absolute joke. 

Anyone who says they completely understand what we are dealing with is just making an "educated" guess at this point. That said, I agree that either way, we probably have to find a way to return to normal while still living with the risks associated with this virus. But that full return to normal may not happen until 2021, right, wrong, or indifferent. All I know is that if we're going to be wrong, I would much rather error on the conservative side.

• Like 1

They will need to be a Vaccine before we can return to normal. With the current rise in numbers and every one going on vacation I see this spreading more and more before school start date. For Clinton they are only allowing 4 tickets per family to attend graduation. What happens if numbers and deaths keep rising??? Will they let school start with all kids in attendance in two months? Will they allow hundreds to thousands attend football games? Teachers that are older with underlining issues in my opinion need a choice of a vaccine. 

• CoachT locked this topic