TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

2 hours ago, Djohnson said:

Teachers that are older with underlining issues in my opinion need a choice of a vaccine. 

Yup. Everyone seems so focused on the fact that kids don't seem to really be at risk of getting really sick or dying if they contract COVID-19, and the statistics available certainly lead to that conclusion. But the kids getting sick isn't the issue. The issue is that schools are germ factories, and the kids are major carriers. Faculty/staff members (and parents/grandparents/guardians) are susceptible simply because of their age, and in some cases, other risk factors.

When my wife was teaching, she was sick a lot, especially her first few years in the classroom (almost monthly). Thankfully, her immune system toughened up over the years, given everything she was being exposed to in her classroom, but that is a major concern for these school systems. Anyone who thinks that this decision will just boil down to the kids and how susceptible they are to this illness isn't seeing the bigger picture.

Edited by osunut2

8 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Yup. Everyone seems so focused on the fact that kids don't seem to really be at risk of getting really sick or dying if they contract COVID-19, and the statistics available certainly lead to that conclusion. But the kids getting sick isn't the issue. The issue is that schools are germ factories, and the kids are major carriers. Faculty/staff members (and parents/grandparents/guardians) are susceptible simply because of their age, and in some cases, other risk factors.

When my wife was teaching, she was sick a lot, especially her first few years in the classroom (almost monthly). Thankfully, her immune system toughened up over the years, given everything she was being exposed to in her classroom, but that is a major concern for these school systems. Anyone who thinks that this decision will just boil down to the kids and how susceptible they are to this illness isn't seeing the bigger picture.

No school,  no sports.

For graduation here in Clinton they are allowing a group of 4 guest for each family and going to sit them 6 feet apart. But practice is going on and they don’t have the kids 6 feet apart. The senior kids Graduating  on the field will be sitting 6 feet apart also. Dead period is almost here. I don’t have a kid graduating this year but after the dead period isn’t practice supposed to start up? This is really doesn’t make sense. With Tennessee getting a surge in new cases and deaths of Covid 19. Is it just going to get better after the dead period? Because isn’t Full practice going to start after dead period? I don’t see how we are going to have a football season this year. This sucks for everyone!

Edited by Djohnson

Maybe it is still going to miraculously disappear? smh
Everybody wants school In session and football on Friday nights. The most frustrating part is there doesn’t appear to be a plan for what occurs after starting back when “some number” of kids, teachers, or coaches get it. They will get it. 
Without a plan to follow, I worry that just leaves us with panic and closure again. Are “the plans” up to each individual school? I think that will result in some schools being unable to play other schools.

39 minutes ago, Djohnson said:

For graduation here in Clinton they are allowing a group of 4 guest for each family and going to sit them 6 feet apart. But practice is going on and they don’t have the kids 6 feet apart. The senior kids Graduating  on the field will be sitting 6 feet apart also. Dead period is almost here. I don’t have a kid graduating this year but after the dead period isn’t practice supposed to start up? This is really doesn’t make sense. With Tennessee getting a surge in new cases and deaths of Covid 19. Is it just going to get better after the dead period? Because isn’t Full practice going to start after dead period? I don’t see how we are going to have a football season this year. This sucks for everyone!

How many kids practicing currently are getting sick?  
Recent surge is due to how the state is now reporting cases.  

Edited by GWAVE1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Sad to say this, but I agree that fall sports are in danger of happening. For whatever reason large school systems not playing will have an affect on games. Metro Nashville is making plans to have school at home with computers and wifi hotspots.

56 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Sad to say this, but I agree that fall sports are in danger of happening. For whatever reason large school systems not playing will have an affect on games. Metro Nashville is making plans to have school at home with computers and wifi hotspots.

Could be true, however I say allow the schools who are open to play all sports. If there are school systems that shut their doors and keep the kids at home, so be it. They will miss out this fall. If that’s the way this thing heads, then allow the open schools to have sports and the rest of them can sit out this year. That’s the fairest way to handle such a politicized, social, economical, educational, sports-related decision. Get in or get out, and that’s left up to each school system.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Could be true, however I say allow the schools who are open to play all sports. If there are school systems that shut their doors and keep the kids at home, so be it. They will miss out this fall. If that’s the way this thing heads, then allow the open schools to have sports and the rest of them can sit out this year. That’s the fairest way to handle such a politicized, social, economical, educational, sports-related decision. Get in or get out, and that’s left up to each school system.

Don’t matter cases are going up. It’s not up to each school system

Edited by Djohnson

2 hours ago, Djohnson said:

Don’t matter cases are going up. It’s not up to each school system

It absolutely is. Case count means nothing. Death rate/Seriously ill rate is what matters and those numbers are dropping because of significantly more testing. This is not going anywhere, identical to the flu, so we have to live with it in a very safe and smart way. No more living in fear or panic. School systems will have to lead and make sensible decisions moving forward. No more overreacting.

Edited by sportsguy22
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fb247 said:

Already have games in place if metros choose not to play.  

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic