TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

6 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

What we’ve learned more than anything is we cannot trust the “experts” or the media whatsoever. What can we believe about anything really at this point, especially this virus. Everything, and I mean everything, is politically motivated with agenda-driven narratives and talking points, even our sports media unfortunately! It’s ridiculous...most all of us sports fans don’t want politics poured down our throats in sports, yet here we are. So unfortunate. I’m just curious why the need to make an absolute statement about football in June?! High school is two months away and college is two weeks beyond that. It is so premature and careless. Let’s see where things are in late July and early August...again, common sense. Why the rush to be so negative and pessimistic in mid-summer? Makes no sense. This thing changes so quickly as we’ve learned and can we at least be honest as to how serious this actually is for young kids?? It’s simply not...contagious? yes, just like the flu...making our young people deathly sick? no, not at all

All rational comments above. This virus is now extremely political and extremely profitable. All information you get from the government and experts will be slanted.

Things we know from studies in the US and around the world:

Those under 18 are less susceptible to the virus. Those under 18 are more likely to have mild or asymptomatic cases. Those with mild or asymptomatic cases rarely transmit the virus to another individual. Those under 18 dying or requiring hospitalizations are extremely rare. The risk to our school age kids is close to zero.

I am in a high risk group and wouldn't consider asking my grandkids to not participate in school or athletic events because they may pass it on to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salem said:

All rational comments above. This virus is now extremely political and extremely profitable. All information you get from the government and experts will be slanted.

Things we know from studies in the US and around the world:

Those under 18 are less susceptible to the virus. Those under 18 are more likely to have mild or asymptomatic cases. Those with mild or asymptomatic cases rarely transmit the virus to another individual. Those under 18 dying or requiring hospitalizations are extremely rare. The risk to our school age kids is close to zero.

I am in a high risk group and wouldn't consider asking my grandkids to not participate in school or athletic events because they may pass it on to me. 

Exactly! Well said. And I’m sure you’d be safe and stay away from many people as much as possible, since you are in a high risk category. At least, that’s your call and it’s all about common sense and personal responsibility, especially with those at risk staying distanced.

3 hours ago, MoonDogRex said:

The ignorance is astounding.

No, your arrogance is what’s astounding son. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and at no point did I slam you for yours. Obviously your the typical know it all who wants to sound knowledgeable and important. 

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

If we're going to go there, I do agree that no one knows the complete truth about what we are dealing with. But unless you are a medical professional, particularly one that deals with virology, epidemiology, public health, etc, people like you and I have absolutely no business trying to tell others the "truth" when it comes to something like COVID-19. And just because the medical community is learning new things every single day about this virus shouldn't invalidate everything that the CDC, Mayo Clinic, etc has stated to this point.

6 months to a year from now, I would much rather look back on 2020 and think that we were too conservative (for obvious reasons), instead of looking back thinking that we had an opportunity to do more and our willful ignorance got the best of us.

I think your taking my point out of context Nut. I’m not speaking for just kids on our team, I’m speaking for every teams Seniors(and yes including Powell).  To me, AND JUST MY OPINION, I think it’s wrong to take away or potentially take away those kids Senior seasons over a virus that IMO at the end of the day nobody truly knows about. With all that being said, yes I know that probably won’t be taken into consideration when the “task force” or whatever makes a decision but I believe it should be. 

2 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

What we’ve learned more than anything is we cannot trust the “experts” or the media whatsoever. What can we believe about anything really at this point, especially this virus. Everything, and I mean everything, is politically motivated with agenda-driven narratives and talking points, even our sports media unfortunately! It’s ridiculous...most all of us sports fans don’t want politics poured down our throats in sports, yet here we are. So unfortunate. I’m just curious why the need to make an absolute statement about football in June?! High school is two months away and college is two weeks beyond that. It is so premature and careless. Let’s see where things are in late July and early August...again, common sense. Why the rush to be so negative and pessimistic in mid-summer? Makes no sense. This thing changes so quickly as we’ve learned and can we at least be honest as to how serious this actually is for young kids?? It’s simply not...contagious? yes, just like the flu...making our young people deathly sick? no, not at all

I agree it is premature to make decisions in June about something that is 2 months away. No one knows with certainty where we will be at that time. Perhaps the numbers go way down. Maybe we learn something new about the virus that makes it easier to combat. Maybe they develop a vaccine. Or maybe it is really bad and we have to shut everything down again. The bottom line is no one knows. If we do not prepare to be ready to play, then we probably cannot even if we get the chance. Let’s prepare for and hope for the best and choose the best course of action when we get there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MoonDogRex said:

The ignorance is astounding.

Let me explain exactly what spawns this ignorance.

The "experts" would have the public believe that this virus kills people at a much higher rate per infection than any other in history, and that over half the people who have contracted the virus are asymptomatic. In addition, for the first several weeks of the pandemic, only people displaying multiple symptoms could be tested due to the lack of test kits.

Using only a small amount of logic, reasonable people realize that by testing only a limited amount of people displaying symptoms while acknowledging that more than half do not display any symptoms at all will assure that there's absolutely no way to arrive at anything other than a random wild guess at mortality rates.

You may willfully continue to absorb whatever "facts" that the talking heads supply you with if you like... I would prefer that they at least make an attempt for one "truth" to support the next, rather than expose it as a either a baseless theory... or a lie. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The "experts" would have the public believe that this virus kills people at a much higher rate per infection than any other in history, and that over half the people who have contracted the virus are asymptomatic. In addition, for the first several weeks of the pandemic, only people displaying multiple symptoms could be tested due to the lack of test kits.

Using only a small amount of logic, reasonable people realize that by testing only a limited amount of people displaying symptoms while acknowledging that more than half do not display any symptoms at all will assure that there's absolutely no way to arrive at anything other than a random wild guess at mortality rates.

You may willfully continue to absorb whatever "facts" that the talking heads supply you with if you like... I would prefer that they at least make an attempt for one "truth" to support the next, rather than expose it as a either a baseless theory... or a lie. 

Yes!Good post.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Logic....I like it

• Like 1

More fantastic news! Too bad you’d think, by all the negative media coverage, that we are all doomed! These are the stats that truly matter. The death rate is plummeting and the average age rate of all infections has dropped to under 35, meaning the at risk rate is dropping by a large percentage. 

6 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

More fantastic news! Too bad you’d think, by all the negative media coverage, that we are all doomed! These are the stats that truly matter. The death rate is plummeting and the average age rate of all infections has dropped to under 35, meaning the at risk rate is dropping by a large percentage. 

Meanwhile, Nashville is saying hospitalizations are up and other counties are going into panic mode.  

This is the most ridiculous situation I have ever seen.  Everybody wants to open up yet nobody wants to open up.  

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic