TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

4 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

It absolutely is. Case count means nothing. Death rate/Seriously ill rate is what matters and those numbers are dropping because more testing. This is not going anywhere, identical to the flu, so we have live with it in a safe and smart way. No more living in fear or panic. School systems will have to lead and make sensible decisions moving forward. No more overreacting.

Exactly.  Have To live smart but not in fear.   Until we get some herd immunity, this will continue.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Exactly.  Have To live smart but not in fear.   Until we get some herd immunity, this will continue.  

Well said!! If people will relax and not freak out, the immunity will build as we continue to have better and better treatments. The vaccine at some point may or may not mean a whole lot. But, we will persevere as with any infectious disease. This is not killing people at a larger rate like the media would have you believe. It’s simply not. It’s yet another infectious disease that we have to deal with and live with. Common sense stuff, although the world is sadly moving away from common sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Well said!! If people will relax and not freak out, the immunity will build as we continue to have better and better treatments. The vaccine at some point may or may not mean a whole lot. But, we will persevere as with any infectious disease. This is not killing people at a larger rate like the media would have you believe. It’s simply not. It’s yet another infectious disease that we have to deal with and live with. Common sense stuff, although the world is sadly moving away from common sense.

So which is it? Is it just like the flu? If so, herd immunity does absolutely nothing for you. I 100% agree that we will perservere, with or without a vaccine, and we absolutely should not panic. And as we've seen, the mortality rate isn't nearly as high as we once thought it might be. But there isn't a single person on this message board that understands the virology/epidemiology of this virus, so let's stop pretending like we know what we are dealing with. We don't, and common sense doesn't answer the kinds of questions that epidemiologists are trying to answer right now.

It feels like the entire medical community, with a combined hundreds of thousands of years of research, experimentation, and knowledge, continues to preach that we all exercise caution because those behaviors can stymie an airborne virus from infecting others. But on the other side are people who look at all of that information and, because it doesn't match their prior assumptions, dismiss it all and resort to theorizing about some great cabal trying to kill us all because they can't accept that they "might" be wrong.

When we've had ample time to study and understand this virus, maybe then we will be in a better position to figure out where we go from here. Believe it or not, life can go on with or without football in 2020.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

So which is it? Is it just like the flu? If so, herd immunity does absolutely nothing for you. I 100% agree that we will perservere, with or without a vaccine, and we absolutely should not panic. And as we've seen, the mortality rate isn't nearly as high as we once thought it might be. But there isn't a single person on this message board that understands the virology/epidemiology of this virus, so let's stop pretending like we know what we are dealing with. We don't, and common sense doesn't answer the kinds of questions that epidemiologists are trying to answer right now.

It feels like the entire medical community, with a combined hundreds of thousands of years of research, experimentation, and knowledge, continues to preach that we all exercise caution because those behaviors can stymie an airborne virus from infecting others. But on the other side are people who look at all of that information and, because it doesn't match their prior assumptions, dismiss it all and resort to theorizing about some great cabal trying to kill us all because they can't accept that they "might" be wrong.

When we've had ample time to study and understand this virus, maybe then we will be in a better position to figure out where we go from here. Believe it or not, life can go on with or without football in 2020.

The entire medical community....HAS been ALL over the map for three to four months! We cannot trust what we hear from day to day. Nobody knows everything about this, obviously, therefore we have to be smart and live life. There are no signs that this is way worse than the flu or any other infectious disease. Being very similar to the flu has nothing to do with herd immunity. Once it passes through much of the population, we will naturally develop a better immunity to it. We can agree to disagree, but it’s time to move on in my opinion, and not allow the media to continue instilling fear and panic. It’s an election year tactic,  unfortunately, and it’s not cool. 

16 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Football is not life essential.  And if they play and you or anyone else is scared to attend then simply don’t.   But....life has to continue, this thing is not going anywhere and many do not want to pause life because of being scared.  Do what is preventable and go on.  I am not a political theorist, just a realistic member of society.  Too many questions if we do not try to return to some sort of normal.  It would take 3-5 years to know if a vaccine would even work.  Are you willing to give up 5 years of fear and not knowing?  Remember these infectious results are mostly control monitored.  The real world is not test tube related.  

I do get what you are saying and feeling.  I just think we are not going about things the right way.  Right now my team is preparing to play in the fall until otherwise notified.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Could be true, however I say allow the schools who are open to play all sports. If there are school systems that shut their doors and keep the kids at home, so be it. They will miss out this fall. If that’s the way this thing heads, then allow the open schools to have sports and the rest of them can sit out this year. That’s the fairest way to handle such a politicized, social, economical, educational, sports-related decision. Get in or get out, and that’s left up to each school system.

Bingo!

1 hour ago, fb247 said:

Get ready for some bye weeks and regular season of six or seven games.

I think that might be the best way to approach football. Conditioning has been almost nonexistent since May, now with dead period approaching just as players are getting acclimated to prolonged physical activity in the heat, they will not be in the "usual" game shape of a normal season. 

20 hours ago, fb247 said:

Get ready for some bye weeks and regular season of six or seven games.

And if that’s the case, is that worth the risk? Everyone needs to make their own decision on that. Right now, the problem for parents is finding out what the plan is. It seems as if the decision makers are recommending closing our eyes and crossing our fingers. That’s not much of a plan.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, sportsguy22 said:

The entire medical community....HAS been ALL over the map for three to four months! We cannot trust what we hear from day to day. Nobody knows everything about this, obviously, therefore we have to be smart and live life. There are no signs that this is way worse than the flu or any other infectious disease. Being very similar to the flu has nothing to do with herd immunity. Once it passes through much of the population, we will naturally develop a better immunity to it. We can agree to disagree, but it’s time to move on in my opinion, and not allow the media to continue instilling fear and panic. It’s an election year tactic,  unfortunately, and it’s not cool. 

"We have to be smart and live life." I don't disagree with that sentiment, but if you're talking about pre-COVID business as usual, we will agree to disagree. The problem is that a growing number of people are simply trying to "live life," and the "smart" part is optional (maybe even absent). I want to trust the judgement of my neighbors, and I want to follow the current social distancing guidelines so that we can all try to resume so kind of "normal." But when people continue to prove time and time again that these rules/guidelines shouldn't apply, and they can't even do the simplest thing to protect themselves and others (i.e., wear a mask), it reinforces the notion that we can't get out of our own way.

If indeed the average IQ is 100, then approximately half of the population falls below that number. Let that sink in...

18 hours ago, osunut2 said:

"We have to be smart and live life." I don't disagree with that sentiment, but if you're talking about pre-COVID business as usual, we will agree to disagree. The problem is that a growing number of people are simply trying to "live life," and the "smart" part is optional (maybe even absent). I want to trust the judgement of my neighbors, and I want to follow the current social distancing guidelines so that we can all try to resume so kind of "normal." But when people continue to prove time and time again that these rules/guidelines shouldn't apply, and they can't even do the simplest thing to protect themselves and others (i.e., wear a mask), it reinforces the notion that we can't get out of our own way.

If indeed the average IQ is 100, then approximately half of the population falls below that number. Let that sink in...

Do you have solid facts that a mask stops the virus? Have you seen people and how they are wearing these said masks? If indeed they do stop the virus, then my guess is only 10% of the people that wear them do so properly anyway or even have the correct mask type. Can't you get the virus through your eyes? Shouldn't we all have ski masks with a glass covering for the eyes? See...this is such a media-driven, panic-based argument! There is no proof and it's never-ending as to what works and what does not. 

• CoachT locked this topic