TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

1 hour ago, chsbobcat09 said:

There will be football this fall. It may be different than what everyone is used to and may not be convenient for everyone, mostly for fans. But I do believe there will be football. It’s hard to screw kids who have worked their tails off for years out of an entire season, especially Seniors who don’t have another year of eligibility. HS is not like the NFL or College. Those guys will be granted another year of eligibility and be paid regardless. Hs players don’t have either of those luxury’s. It’s time to get over this Covid stuff, quit listening to the doom and gloom news stations pumping everyone with horror for their own agendas and get back to life. Just my opinion 

I agree with your opinion and I like your optimism,  just don't think it will happen.  School officials will not justify sports for sake of workouts and missing a season.

17 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I don't disagree, cat. But that fact won't ultimately sway KCS's decision, right, wrong, or indifferent. We went through the same thing in the spring, and my heart hurt for those seniors, just like it will for these seniors if they ultimately don't play.

I understand Nut but I see a major difference in the two. The difference with Baseball vs Football is kids can actually be drafted by the MLB out of HS so if a kid is good enough he’s gonna bypass college probably anyway(although I still think that’s kinda ridiculous as well). Football players have to go to college, there is no jump straight to the Pros unless you go overseas. Some players don’t get offers until coaches see how they are performing during their Senior campaign. I’m sorry, but I can’t justify hurting kids chances to better themselves and their families by 1. Getting an education and 2. A chance to play football at high level with a chance at making it to the pros just because we are worried about people getting “sick.” If people are that worried, they probably need to stay at home anyway. I have very strong opinions about this Covid stuff that I’m sure nobody wants to hear because it’s not what the almighty news stations are telling them. Like I said, just my opinion 

1 hour ago, chsbobcat09 said:

It’s time to get over this Covid stuff, quit listening to the doom and gloom news stations pumping everyone with horror for their own agendas and get back to life. Just my opinion 

Science and math are difficult subjects to understand, aren't they? When those teenage athletes contract COVID, yet remain asymptomatic, then transfer the disease to older parents and family members who unfortunately become symptomatic, the pigskin will still be worth it, won't it?

2 minutes ago, MoonDogRex said:

Science and math are difficult subjects to understand, aren't they? When those teenage athletes contract COVID, yet remain asymptomatic, then transfer the disease to older parents and family members who unfortunately become symptomatic, the pigskin will still be worth it, won't it?

You believe what you want and I’ll believe what I want. You wanna believe the so called “experts”, that’s your right and you may continue to do so. My opinion is that NOBODY truly knows the truth ab this “disease.” There are no experts, just people throwing stuff against the wall hoping it sticks. Again, just my opinion 

8 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

You believe what you want and I’ll believe what I want. You wanna believe the so called “experts”, that’s your right and you may continue to do so. My opinion is that NOBODY truly knows the truth ab this “disease.” There are no experts, just people throwing stuff against the wall hoping it sticks. Again, just my opinion 

The ignorance is astounding.

9 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

I understand Nut but I see a major difference in the two. The difference with Baseball vs Football is kids can actually be drafted by the MLB out of HS so if a kid is good enough he’s gonna bypass college probably anyway(although I still think that’s kinda ridiculous as well). Football players have to go to college, there is no jump straight to the Pros unless you go overseas. Some players don’t get offers until coaches see how they are performing during their Senior campaign. I’m sorry, but I can’t justify hurting kids chances to better themselves and their families by 1. Getting an education and 2. A chance to play football at high level with a chance at making it to the pros just because we are worried about people getting “sick.” If people are that worried, they probably need to stay at home anyway. I have very strong opinions about this Covid stuff that I’m sure nobody wants to hear because it’s not what the almighty news stations are telling them. Like I said, just my opinion 

There is zero chance that a school system is going to kowtow for the sake of a few kids' football futures. How many kids on Central's roster will graduate in 2021? Let's assume 20. How many of those kids would have played college football? You can probably count them on one hand, maybe two. In a school of 1100 kids, that is a drop in the bucket - less than 1 percent.

Again, my heart will hurt for those kids. Just like it will for any kid who misses out on any fall sport or extra-curricular, especially those seniors. Life isn't fair, and these kids are getting a heaping dose of that right now.

19 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

If we're going to go there, I do agree that no one knows the complete truth about what we are dealing with. But unless you are a medical professional, particularly one that deals with virology, epidemiology, public health, etc, people like you and I have absolutely no business trying to tell others the "truth" when it comes to something like COVID-19. And just because the medical community is learning new things every single day about this virus shouldn't invalidate everything that the CDC, Mayo Clinic, etc has stated to this point.

6 months to a year from now, I would much rather look back on 2020 and think that we were too conservative (for obvious reasons), instead of looking back thinking that we had an opportunity to do more and our willful ignorance got the best of us.

Edited by osunut2

29 minutes ago, MoonDogRex said:

There is zero proof that the asymptomatic can transfer this...zero! It was a bad media-driven narrative early on that completely got a lot of the fear and panic going strong. It’s also not been proven that the virus can remain on surfaces more than a minute or so...another misnomer portrayed early on. So much misinformation that has so many people running scared! Will all you naysayers be man enough to take back your negative pessimistic opinions of football season once we are kicking it off? 

3 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

There is zero proof that the asymptomatic can transfer this...zero! It was a bad media-driven narrative early on that completely got a lot of the fear and panic going strong. It’s also not been proven that the virus can remain on surfaces more than a minute or so...another misnomer portrayed early on. So much misinformation that has so many people running scared! Will all you naysayers be man enough to take back your negative pessimistic opinions of football season once we are kicking it off? 

I think you misspoke, 22 - https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/21/virus-does-not-spread-easily-contaminated-surfaces-or-animals-revised-cdc-website-states/

The virus can absolutely live on a variety of surfaces for extended periods of time, that's been 100% proven and no one in the scientific community is refuting that fact. What we have learned is that it isn't likely for a person to contract the virus through a contaminated surface.

Also, the WHO completely backtracked in early June after they stated that asymptomatic patients cannot infect others. The reality is that we don't know, and hopefully that is something that we will be able to clarify once we've had ample time for a control study (or multiple studies).

52 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Absolutely,  if you will. I am not negative, like  you said,just my opinion,  not even my desire .

Edited by hardtackle

What we’ve learned more than anything is we cannot trust the “experts” or the media whatsoever. What can we believe about anything really at this point, especially this virus. Everything, and I mean everything, is politically motivated with agenda-driven narratives and talking points, even our sports media unfortunately! It’s ridiculous...most all of us sports fans don’t want politics poured down our throats in sports, yet here we are. So unfortunate. I’m just curious why the need to make an absolute statement about football in June?! High school is two months away and college is two weeks beyond that. It is so premature and careless. Let’s see where things are in late July and early August...again, common sense. Why the rush to be so negative and pessimistic in mid-summer? Makes no sense. This thing changes so quickly as we’ve learned and can we at least be honest as to how serious this actually is for young kids?? It’s simply not...contagious? yes, just like the flu...making our young people deathly sick? no, not at all

• CoachT locked this topic