Who wins AA in 2020-21, and why?

tssaafan

21 hours ago, maddams said:

My last Top 10 as we head into tournament play

1. Upperman (26-1) - loss to Macon could be a positive; relieves any pressure of being undefeated

2. Jackson SouthSide (18-0) - really excited about their likely region matchup vs Westview

3. Northview Academy (27-1) - senior heavy; I expect them in Murfreesboro and could make some noise

4. Grainger (28-3) - experienced and talented; should be in Murfreesboro and would be tough out

5. Westview (20-1) - all about Harrison; will their weak schedule cost them?

6. Meigs Co (16-4) - tough region matchup with any of the top 4 from 8AA

7. Westmoreland (20-3) - really good defensively; can they score enough to get to Murfreesboro

8. Macon Co (18-5) - win over Upperman could right the ship; Gregory is good enough to carry them

9. Covington (20-5) - always tough; will not be challenged until substate game

10. Sullivan East (23-4) - likely region title game v Grainger with loser likely going to Northview for substate

Other teams to watch: Alcoa, Creek Wood, East Nashville, Fairview, Livingston Academy, Maplewood, Scotts Hill, Signal Mountain, York Institute

I've been pretty vocal about my questions surrounding Westview, but I do find it interesting you mention their weak schedule, but don't mention the same for South Side. Not necessarily either teams fault that some of the usual good teams in the area are down this year, but South Side certainly hasn't faced much of a challenge yet. Who is the best team on their schedule? Scotts Hill? Bartlett? Early game against Dyersburg before they lost some kids?

AA in the West has been very down this year, and that might end up costing our better teams when they finally do meet a challenge in the Boro. Not saying either team won't win the title, but strength of schedule is certainly a worry for any team coming out of the West.

10 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

I've been pretty vocal about my questions surrounding Westview, but I do find it interesting you mention their weak schedule, but don't mention the same for South Side. Not necessarily either teams fault that some of the usual good teams in the area are down this year, but South Side certainly hasn't faced much of a challenge yet. Who is the best team on their schedule? Scotts Hill? Bartlett? Early game against Dyersburg before they lost some kids?

AA in the West has been very down this year, and that might end up costing our better teams when they finally do meet a challenge in the Boro. Not saying either team won't win the title, but strength of schedule is certainly a worry for any team coming out of the West.

Look back he definitely mentioned our weak schedule before. And like I told him Covid killed all of our chances of playing the better teams. We was going to Florida to play in this top tier tournament but Covid #### it down. We didn’t play our great tournament that we usually play in Dyersburg. So that just left us playing our district games & we can’t help who is in our district. We shall see how it works out! 

2 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Look back he definitely mentioned our weak schedule before. And like I told him Covid killed all of our chances of playing the better teams. We was going to Florida to play in this top tier tournament but Covid #### it down. We didn’t play our great tournament that we usually play in Dyersburg. So that just left us playing our district games & we can’t help who is in our district. We shall see how it works out! 

Like I said, it isn't a knock to your coaches or Westview's. Weird year, and hurt even more by a weak year from traditionally good teams.

The worry I have is similar to what we see with football teams that steamroll everyone all season and then finally get challenged in the playoffs. Peabody, Union City, Huntingdon, have all experienced that in the past in football. You go all season and your starters don't have a game where they have to play four quarters at maximum effort, because you blow everyone out. Then when you finally meet someone of your caliber, it can be tough to switch it on. 

As with the football comparison, it doesn't mean you can't win it all. But, it is definitely something to worry about. Both teams need to take advantage of the games they have left and make sure they will be ready for what lies ahead of them.

4 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Like I said, it isn't a knock to your coaches or Westview's. Weird year, and hurt even more by a weak year from traditionally good teams.

The worry I have is similar to what we see with football teams that steamroll everyone all season and then finally get challenged in the playoffs. Peabody, Union City, Huntingdon, have all experienced that in the past in football. You go all season and your starters don't have a game where they have to play four quarters at maximum effort, because you blow everyone out. Then when you finally meet someone of your caliber, it can be tough to switch it on. 

As with the football comparison, it doesn't mean you can't win it all. But, it is definitely something to worry about. Both teams need to take advantage of the games they have left and make sure they will be ready for what lies ahead of them.

Yea I understand what you mean. We will see in a few weeks how it plays out. Covid has hinder all our lives but thank God we are still alive & playing ball! 

4 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Do think the Region Tournament and substate for South Side and Westview  and their District Championship things will get a little tougher. Very possible South Side will play a Dyersburg or an improved South Gibson in Region Semis and a possible Westview and either Covington or someone else in their district later. Covington and Dyersburg can play. Dyersburg is always dangerous. AA is down in the West you are right but their competition will help them before they get to the Boro.

Edited by pioneer42

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

You're absolutely correct.  Neither team played a difficult schedule.  Westview's schedule may have actually been tougher when you consider district games but those cannot be controlled.  If you look at non-district scheduling, South Side only played 6 games due to COVID.  Hard to knock them for scheduling poorly in that situation 

I am seeing post about scheduling and it being a factor when it comes to Murfreesboro. So the past 7 or 8 years Westview has played the same caliber teams but travel on holidays to play whats supposed to be top tier teams to help this issue that you all are speaking about. So whats their for excuse for no titles? Since it sounds like yall are saying battle tested teams have an advantage or is it that those teams they travel to aren't very good either? QTNA