Who wins AA in 2020-21, and why?

tssaafan

3 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

Central is going to be tough next year, returning all but one.  I said, making it to the sub-state this year would be tremendous for this Central club.  Truth, those 4-AA teams are tough!!!  Central and Meigs both move classifications next year.  Should be interesting.

Honestly, I don't think it's that hard to make it to substate with the district and region they played in this year (though I really don't know what district 6AA has to offer).  Central should definitely be better next year.
Will Meigs and Central both move down to A next season? I though Central was close this year of having to be in AAA, based on enrollment?

37 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

To be honest I would have McMinn Central around 11 or 12 I would have them and Alcoa in front of Sullivan East. But I don’t think there better than any of the top 9.

I agree with you. Central is playing Meigs closer every game they play them.  Both teams know losing the region championship will spell doom in substate.  Hosting substate won't be an easy game for either team either.

36 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

South Gibson was a different look from last year's team for Westview, first time around. That being said, they gave them all they could handle, even before the Harrison injury in the 2nd half. 

SGC played Westview close in the regular season last year too, the first time they met, and word was they weren't happy about it. They beat the brakes off of them on Senior night (36 points). They haven't had their opportunity to avenge the nail biter, with their last regular season meeting getting cancelled for ice. If they get an opportunity to make a statement tonight, I can assure you Westview will. I think South Gibson is a lot more talented and versatile this year than last year, though. I'd be surprised to see a running clock again, but wouldn't be surprised to see a runaway. 

Dyersburg's biggest issue this year is depth. Howard is really talented, but outside of Latham and maybe one other player, they struggle to score. They do what they do well, but if you can force them out of their wheelhouse they struggle. They've got some more talent coming up the pipe, but this is just a down year for them. They could pull off an upset in the regionals, but I struggle seeing them making a deep run. 

SGC has so much promise, but they fail to do the little things well (rebounding, effort plays, defense). They are always going to be out rebounded every game and rely too much on the three ball. If shots are falling, they can hang with anyone. I still think South Gibson can be a tough out, but I'm disappointed we haven't seen more from them. If Crockett and Dyersburg were playing at their usual level, I'm not sure this South Gibson team would be a championship game caliber team. Championship teams do the little things well. 

Your zone will keep Dyersburg from getting to the rim and force them to shoot outside which is not a good matchup. We played them twice this year and beat them by double digits at our place and beat them by only 3 at theirs. We can’t throw the ball in the ocean in their gym. They used to could press you and play fast. Just don’t think they can do that well this year either. South Gibson has the athletes to play fast but will they??  Their lack of a post really hurts them and is a bad matchup with Westview. 

28 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Honestly, I don't think it's that hard to make it to substate with the district and region they played in this year (though I really don't know what district 6AA has to offer).  Central should definitely be better next year.
Will Meigs and Central both move down to A next season? I though Central was close this year of having to be in AAA, based on enrollment?

Not at all.  Brainard is very athletic and have a couple of good players, Signal is just big.  Not pushovers.

20 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

Not at all.  Brainard is very athletic and have a couple of good players, Signal is just big.  Not pushovers.

I noticed Signal beat Brainerd in both games during the season, but lost to Brainerd in the district championship game. Signal's overall record is impressive on the surface, but when you look at who they played it's not that impressive.  At least Meigs and Central have played some quality out of conference opponents, which makes up for their weaker district schedule.  I'd be shocked if it's not Meigs and Central in the region championship game, but neither team can afford to have a terrible game in the preliminary region games.
All the games will be played at the higher seeded teams' gym.  Not sure what will happen if the #1 seeded teams from both districts play in the championship game,  but I think Dadof2 said it was district 5's turn to host the region.

Edited by blitzinbuc

41 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Your zone will keep Dyersburg from getting to the rim and force them to shoot outside which is not a good matchup. We played them twice this year and beat them by double digits at our place and beat them by only 3 at theirs. We can’t throw the ball in the ocean in their gym. They used to could press you and play fast. Just don’t think they can do that well this year either. South Gibson has the athletes to play fast but will they??  Their lack of a post really hurts them and is a bad matchup with Westview. 

South Gibson can play fast, but won't, at least not consistently. They have some kids that can score in the post, but would rather play outside. 

8 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

I noticed Signal beat Brainerd in both games during the season, but lost to Brainerd in the district championship game. Signal's overall record is impressive on the surface, but when you look at who they played it's not that impressive.  At least Meigs and Central have played some quality out of conference opponents, which makes up for their weaker district schedule.  I'd be shocked if it's not Meigs and Central in the region championship game, but neither team can afford to have a terrible game in the preliminary region games.
All the games will be played at the higher seeded teams' gym.  Not sure what will happen if the #1 seeded teams from both districts play in the championship game,  but I think Dadof2 said it was district 5's turn to host the region.

Great assessment Buc, It was an upset last night.  I don't expect Signal can handle Meigs pressure, but the can hurt them inside, just because they are so tall.  Same scenario happened last year.  I agree, I think we should end up playing for the Region Championship, if both 5-AA teams show up.