Who wins AA in 2020-21, and why?

tssaafan

12 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Dyersburg is that dark horse team you definitely don’t want to let your guard down against. The consolation game will be a big game. Loser will have to play South Side at South Side and you don’t want to have to do that. The winner you likely have to go to Chester County and then likely get Westview. Not a good recipe either but at least you would have a better chance of winning a first round game to get to the semis possibly.

They are definitely the dark horse! We love playing at home at South Side! 

15 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Dyersburg is that dark horse team you definitely don’t want to let your guard down against. The consolation game will be a big game. Loser will have to play South Side at South Side and you don’t want to have to do that. The winner you likely have to go to Chester County and then likely get Westview. Not a good recipe either but at least you would have a better chance of winning a first round game to get to the semis possibly.

Definitely a big difference between those two opponents that await. If Dyersburg wins, I think they are capable of upsetting Chester Co. in region. Everyone wants to get as far away from South Side in the bracket as they can. Think you can make a pretty compelling case that being the 3-seed coming out of 13-AA is a better spot matchup-wise then being the 2-seed.

Edited by SportsWestTN

On 2/22/2021 at 11:50 AM, maddams said:

My last Top 10 as we head into tournament play

1. Upperman (26-1) - loss to Macon could be a positive; relieves any pressure of being undefeated

2. Jackson SouthSide (18-0) - really excited about their likely region matchup vs Westview

3. Northview Academy (27-1) - senior heavy; I expect them in Murfreesboro and could make some noise

4. Grainger (28-3) - experienced and talented; should be in Murfreesboro and would be tough out

5. Westview (20-1) - all about Harrison; will their weak schedule cost them?

6. Meigs Co (16-4) - tough region matchup with any of the top 4 from 8AA

7. Westmoreland (20-3) - really good defensively; can they score enough to get to Murfreesboro

8. Macon Co (18-5) - win over Upperman could right the ship; Gregory is good enough to carry them

9. Covington (20-5) - always tough; will not be challenged until substate game

10. Sullivan East (23-4) - likely region title game v Grainger with loser likely going to Northview for substate

Other teams to watch: Alcoa, Creek Wood, East Nashville, Fairview, Livingston Academy, Maplewood, Scotts Hill, Signal Mountain, York Institute

I'd pick McMinn Central over many of those you have listed in "Other teams to watch".  Their only problem this year - like Meigs County - will be one of them having to face the best team in the state (from Region 4AA) in substate..... most likely Upperman.   
Beating the runnerup from Region 4AA will be a tremendous challenge too. 

5 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

I'd pick McMinn Central over many of those you have listed in "Other teams to watch".  Their only problem this year - like Meigs County - will be one of them having to face the best team in the state (from Region 4AA) in substate..... most likely Upperman.   

I show McMinn & Meigs went at it for the championship! What do McMinn do well? 

8 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Definitely a big difference between those two opponents that await. If Dyersburg wins, I think they are capable of upsetting Chester Co. in region. Everyone wants to get as far away from South Side in the bracket as they can. Think you can make a pretty compelling case that being the 3-seed coming out of 13-AA is a better spot matchup-wise then being the 2-seed.

Definitely a huge win for South Gibson last night. I do think Westview wins tonight by 12-15. South Gibson has had a good year. Just don’t think they are good enough to beat a talented Westview team. Dyersburg I still think is the team that has the talent to shock someone.

16 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

To be honest I would have McMinn Central around 11 or 12 I would have them and Alcoa in front of Sullivan East. But I don’t think there better than any of the top 9.

15 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Definitely a huge win for South Gibson last night. I do think Westview wins tonight by 12-15. South Gibson has had a good year. Just don’t think they are good enough to beat a talented Westview team. Dyersburg I still think is the team that has the talent to shock someone.

South Gibson was a different look from last year's team for Westview, first time around. That being said, they gave them all they could handle, even before the Harrison injury in the 2nd half. 

SGC played Westview close in the regular season last year too, the first time they met, and word was they weren't happy about it. They beat the brakes off of them on Senior night (36 points). They haven't had their opportunity to avenge the nail biter, with their last regular season meeting getting cancelled for ice. If they get an opportunity to make a statement tonight, I can assure you Westview will. I think South Gibson is a lot more talented and versatile this year than last year, though. I'd be surprised to see a running clock again, but wouldn't be surprised to see a runaway. 

Dyersburg's biggest issue this year is depth. Howard is really talented, but outside of Latham and maybe one other player, they struggle to score. They do what they do well, but if you can force them out of their wheelhouse they struggle. They've got some more talent coming up the pipe, but this is just a down year for them. They could pull off an upset in the regionals, but I struggle seeing them making a deep run. 

SGC has so much promise, but they fail to do the little things well (rebounding, effort plays, defense). They are always going to be out rebounded every game and rely too much on the three ball. If shots are falling, they can hang with anyone. I still think South Gibson can be a tough out, but I'm disappointed we haven't seen more from them. If Crockett and Dyersburg were playing at their usual level, I'm not sure this South Gibson team would be a championship game caliber team. Championship teams do the little things well. 

Edited by SportsWestTN

46 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Central is going to be tough next year, returning all but one.  I said, making it to the sub-state this year would be tremendous for this Central club.  Truth, those 4-AA teams are tough!!!  Central and Meigs both move classifications next year.  Should be interesting.

36 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I actually thought Dyersburg would beat us on the 2nd game of the year. We had 3-5 people coming back from ACL injuries. They had all their starters returning & add the coaches daughter that transferred to Dyersburg. We played much better that day than I anticipated & beat them by 19 I believe. They have improved now but so have we!

Just now, HawkGuy06 said:

I actually thought Dyersburg would beat us on the 2nd game of the year. We had 3-5 people coming back from ACL injuries. They had all their starters returning & add the coaches daughter that transferred to Dyersburg. We played much better that day than I anticipated & beat them by 19 I believe. They have improved now but so have we!

Dyersburg dropped off quite a bit, not long after that game. Lost a couple of players, including the transfer everyone was talking up. Dyersburg is better now then they were in December when they lost a bunch of game, but miss some of that talent they had hoped to have at the start of the year. 

2 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Dyersburg dropped off quite a bit, not long after that game. Lost a couple of players, including the transfer everyone was talking up. Dyersburg is better now then they were in December when they lost a bunch of game, but miss some of that talent they had hoped to have at the start of the year. 

Yea she is playing at Dyersburg State 

49 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I show McMinn & Meigs went at it for the championship! What do McMinn do well? 

Central pressures the whole game.  Get to the goal pretty well.  Pretty good 8 to 9 players, but usually only plays 8 girls.  They are tough when outside shot is falling.  They turn teams over.  One senior this year, so next year is looking promising.