Week 2 - Beech @ Henry County

PatriotNation

An announcement regarding Friday night’s game between Henry Co. High and Beech High School.....

“Due to the forecasted weather of Hurricane Laura and anticipated saturation of the field, adjustments to Henry County High School Patriot Football for this week's game against the Beech Buccaneers have been made. "At this point, we are projected to get a large amount of rain between now and game time Friday night. Other area high schools are also making adjustments to their game schedules for this week." said Coach James Counce, Jr. Weather pending, the game will be played on Friday evening at 7:00 pm at Johnnie Hale Stadium in Milan or an Saturday at 2:00 pm at Johnnie Hale Stadium in Milan. A decision will be made by Thursday afternoon and communicated to the public. Admission to this game will be treated as a home game. There will be no ticket sales at the gate. Season passes will be honored.”

44 minutes ago, QBClubPrez said:

An announcement regarding Friday night’s game between Henry Co. High and Beech High School.....

“Due to the forecasted weather of Hurricane Laura and anticipated saturation of the field, adjustments to Henry County High School Patriot Football for this week's game against the Beech Buccaneers have been made. "At this point, we are projected to get a large amount of rain between now and game time Friday night. Other area high schools are also making adjustments to their game schedules for this week." said Coach James Counce, Jr. Weather pending, the game will be played on Friday evening at 7:00 pm at Johnnie Hale Stadium in Milan or an Saturday at 2:00 pm at Johnnie Hale Stadium in Milan. A decision will be made by Thursday afternoon and communicated to the public. Admission to this game will be treated as a home game. There will be no ticket sales at the gate. Season passes will be honored.”

QBP, what the heck happened with the turf, man? I know COVID was the given reason, but it feels more and more like those infamous behind the scenes politics we’ve all come to know and love. 

I mean what is it gonna take to get a playable surface for this football program? It’s been the better part of a freaking decade that we’ve needed this. 

Sacrifice a lamb at the 50? 

• Upvote 1

Supposedly the bids came in way higher than expected and then COVID happened and contractors couldn’t get enough help. Now after delaying installing turf you know the bids are going to be higher than before. It’s not like there wasn’t ever  going to be anything played on that field again.

Now back to playing at Milan. I have nothing against playing there but this too will cost both teams in attendance.

• Upvote 1

Sounds to me like whoever is in charge at Henry County has dropped the ball this year. Didnt yall get approved for a turf field back in February? The athletic director I had seen where he said back after yalls season last year that the field was unplayable even back then. Other teams in the state got turf fields this year so makes you wonder. They chose to do nothing this summer? Poor management is all that can be said. 

We'll have Beech Head Coach Anthony Crabtree on the Friday Main Event this Thursday at 7:00 PM to discuss this game.   You can stream the show thru the link below.   I'd suggest you navigate to our channel at Friday Main Event YouTube and "Subscribe" to receive a notification when we go live each week.   Always have a number of quality coaches joining us every week:

Friday Main Event Week Two Stream

Edited by FridayMainEvent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGuru2point0 said:

Sounds to me like whoever is in charge at Henry County has dropped the ball this year. Didnt yall get approved for a turf field back in February? The athletic director I had seen where he said back after yalls season last year that the field was unplayable even back then. Other teams in the state got turf fields this year so makes you wonder. They chose to do nothing this summer? Poor management is all that can be said. 

Bad Management?  Do badly managed Football Programs get named "Program of the Decade" by State media outlets?  To answer GR8TN08's question, yes, turf was approved by both the School Board and the funding approved by the County Commission.  However, both are on record for requesting a newly surfaced track around the playing surface.  The Turf field cost is actually a hair under what was proposed....however, given the terrain the stadium is built on, the track, civil engineering, the drainage, etc. is somewhat over budget.  These projects are not small ones. They must be handled with extreme due diligence given the cost and the life expectancy of the facility.  I would argue the opposite to "TheGuru" and say that management has exercised extreme wisdom and due diligence given the circumstances.  Construction on the field project is still on go. Speaking of go...….GO BIG RED!!

With our next 2 scheduled games on the road and with the possibility of heavy rain Friday maybe they thought that it would possibly save the field "what is left of it" for future home games and the playoffs if we get that far into the season. I was really surprised at how bad it was torn up last Friday.

5 minutes ago, QBClubPrez said:

Bad Management?  Do badly managed Football Programs get named "Program of the Decade" by State media outlets?  To answer GR8TN08's question, yes, turf was approved by both the School Board and the funding approved by the County Commission.  However, both are on record for requesting a newly surfaced track around the playing surface.  The Turf field cost is actually a hair under what was proposed....however, given the terrain the stadium is built on, the track, civil engineering, the drainage, etc. is somewhat over budget.  These projects are not small ones. They must be handled with extreme due diligence given the cost and the life expectancy of the facility.  I would argue the opposite to "TheGuru" and say that management has exercised extreme wisdom and due diligence given the circumstances.  Construction on the field project is still on go. Speaking of go...….GO BIG RED!!

As Paul Harvey used to say " now we know the rest of the story". All of this was never put out in the media that i saw and i haven't even heard about the track but i see that is something that should be included. There either was some bad info passed to the media or there is not being any transparency to the public "tax payers" about the total scope of this project. Heck, why don't we just go ahead and build a new stadium while they are at it.:-D How old is Patriot stadium?