POWELL @ CENTRAL SATURDAY AT 7:30....WOW!!

keepitmoving

8 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I was under impression Powell was penalised more than Central

I'm not a fan of either team.  It's true that Powell was penalized more.  Mainly it was the kid that hadn't played football in a year and every call I saw against him looked correct.  But the calls that took the ball or scoring away from Central were egregious.  Powell had nothing to wine about (that obviously didn't stop them as you could see in the broadcast.)  

You're right about the muffed punt rule.  I had forgotten that.

12 hours ago, guthook said:

This is a bit off.  Two defensive TD's called back for Central (fumble would have been a td and the muffed punt may have been.  OPI called off a TD in the endzone.  Missed offsides on the the goal line and Central would have forced that in.   Put all that with the missed FG (barely) and Central would have won.  So, keep on glorifying Powell if you want, but if the stripes don't poo their pants, I have Central winning that game.

LOL.  Always some one else's fault....lol Never mind the fact that Central's best offense in the 1st half was ALL the penalties called on Powell.  lol  

22 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

LOL.  Always some one else's fault....lol Never mind the fact that Central's best offense in the 1st half was ALL the penalties called on Powell.  lol  

I don't care who wins so it's not really "always someone else's fault." it's called being objective.  You think those things didn't happen and didn't have a major impact on the game, then I question your version of reality.

Edited by guthook
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Central wasted an opportunity. The swing pass misses and pick 6 in the 1st QTR set the tone for the game. It seemed on TV one team was ready and one team was hoping. I'll agree that Powell benefitted from two blown calls, the muffed punt and fumble. 

Both QB's looked mediocre, which translated to the WR's air show being shelved. 

Central did a good job on playing the pass, and took that away from Powell.  Central coach even said game plan was to stop the passing game.  But what do good teams do, they take what is given.  Powell pounded the rock and Central had no answer for that.  I was very surprised that Central came out throwing as much as they did.  Central QB is not that type of QB.  He had a tuff time completing 5 yard screen passes (the ball was skipping to the WR) Central starting running the ball a lot more, with success, but it was to late.  The game was already out of hand.  JMO

22 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Central did a good job on playing the pass, and took that away from Powell.  Central coach even said game plan was to stop the passing game.  But what do good teams do, they take what is given.  Powell pounded the rock and Central had no answer for that.  I was very surprised that Central came out throwing as much as they did.  Central QB is not that type of QB.  He had a tuff time completing 5 yard screen passes (the ball was skipping to the WR) Central starting running the ball a lot more, with success, but it was to late.  The game was already out of hand.  JMO

I agree with that, not sure why they kept going to that pass in the beginning. Only thing I could come up with is to stop the blitzes, much like ND did against Tennessee years ago when they ran like 6 screens in under 10 plays to stop the pressure coming. But it ended up being a non issue because they couldn't complete it. 

8 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

I was also sorta wondering why they came out throwing until I heard them say Mills (best RB) was out for the game. He had 175 yds. (I think) in the first half last week against HV. Not having his speed in the backfield hurt, but I thought when they finally started running the ball, Dudley did a good job. But had the QB completed those early passes into the flats (and they were open) things might have been different. I still think if both teams are at full strength, you see a better game. To me, right now, I don't see West or OR beating Powell. We must take care of business with South Doyle, who look better and better each week. And we all have to beat Covid to get to the Semi-Final game

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

I was also sorta wondering why they came out throwing until I heard them say Mills (best RB) was out for the game. He had 175 yds. (I think) in the first half last week against HV. Not having his speed in the backfield hurt, but I thought when they finally started running the ball, Dudley did a good job. But had the QB completed those early passes into the flats (and they were open) things might have been different. I still think if both teams are at full strength, you see a better game. To me, right now, I don't see West or OR beating Powell. We must take care of business with South Doyle, who look better and better each week. And we all have to beat Covid to get to the Semi-Final game

Agree wholeheartedly. 

13 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

I question your judgement here simply because you mention West and OR in the same sentence.  Did you watch that game?  

21 hours ago, guthook said:

I question your judgement here simply because you mention West and OR in the same sentence.  Did you watch that game?  

... also, you have to remember, these teams are not just playing each other. Their playing the Covid as well. It can hang two (or more) region forfeits on you in a hurry. Powell most likely has the best team around here (5-A) right now (on the field). It would be sad, but they also could possibly not make the playoffs. And that goes for every other school. It's a crazy year. That's the reason I mentioned the virus in the last sentence of the quote.

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

... also, you have to remember, these teams are not just playing each other. Their playing the Covid as well. It can hang two (or more) region forfeits on you in a hurry. Powell most likely has the best team around here (5-A) right now (on the field). It would be sad, but they also could possibly not make the playoffs. And that goes for every other school. It's a crazy year. That's the reason I mentioned the virus in the last sentence of the quote.

I guess I just disagree.  I think Powell was a better team last year and West beat em once and almost beat em the first time.  I think west is a better team this year than they were last year.  

It's important to note that Powell has not been near as convincing this year as they were last year.  They eeked out two wins that they should have won easily this year if they're as good as yall say they are.

I get that folks like those passing yards, but I'm not convinced yet.  And I'm definitely not convinced they can beat Alcoa and Catholic the way some of yall are talking.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, guthook said:

I guess I just disagree.  I think Powell was a better team last year and West beat em once and almost beat em the first time.  I think west is a better team this year than they were last year.  

It's important to note that Powell has not been near as convincing this year as they were last year.  They eeked out two wins that they should have won easily this year if they're as good as yall say they are.

I get that folks like those passing yards, but I'm not convinced yet.  And I'm definitely not convinced they can beat Alcoa and Catholic the way some of yall are talking.

I agree, gut. Powell was better defensively last year, and had more senior leadership. I do think they are much better offensively, but they are still pretty raw/young. Which is why I've got West coming out of the east in 5A.

As young as they are, it'll be interesting to see where Powell is, development-wise, in November.

• Like 1