Playoffs?

chs1984

1 hour ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

So, here's a question that hasn't been posed yet... with most, if not all Region 8 teams shut down for the fall, what does that do to the Region 7/8 part of brackets come playoff time?  Do all Region 7 teams get a bye into Round 2?

TSSAA said they will fill the bracket as normal and where region 8 teams, that are not playing, are supposed to be will be left blank. So the simple answer is yes.

Edited by OldandBusted
added information

3 minutes ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

Technically you are correct but not by more than 500 to 1000 deaths.  There are years on record where the flu has killed more though.

Current death rate attributed to Covid 2129.

At the current number which will likely rise, it would be somewhere between 5th and 7th leading cause of death this year in TN.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/tennessee/tennessee.htm

That's true in TN.  Nationally, we're at almost 200,000 deaths.  Flu never comes close to that number.

14 minutes ago, guthook said:

That's true in TN.  Nationally, we're at almost 200,000 deaths.  Flu never comes close to that number.

One day we may find out how many actually died "from" Covid. This is the first time in history they've tested everyone that dies for a specific virus, Like in 2018 the CDC estimated the number that died from the flu at 82,000. But they didn't test everybody that died. Who's to say there wasn't 500,000 that died with the flu that year? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, WaCoJaCo said:

One day we may find out how many actually died "from" Covid. This is the first time in history they've tested everyone that dies for a specific virus, Like in 2018 the CDC estimated the number that died from the flu at 82,000. But they didn't test everybody that died. Who's to say there wasn't 500,000 that died with the flu that year? 

We still haven't tested everyone that's died.  In fact, the CDC has said that covid deaths are likely under-counted.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/12/us/covid-deaths-us.html

41 minutes ago, guthook said:

Not entirely true.  Not entirely false.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/past-pandemics.html

It took the Pandemic of 1918 to triple it.  However with modern medicine it might not have been as high or with our current population it might have been much worse since it is the only time on record (http://www.demographia.com/db-uspop1900.htm) that our population dropped from one year to the next outside of maybe the Civil War.

Back to football.  Lets just play.  Be thankful we can do so whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Hopefully people will develop some immunity to it and a vaccine can be found.

Edited by BigStickDiplomacy
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, guthook said:

We still haven't tested everyone that's died.  In fact, the CDC has said that covid deaths are likely under-counted.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/12/us/covid-deaths-us.html

I was speaking in general terms. We're testing "most" people that die. As opposed to "nobody". I was making a point that flu deaths in the past would be way higher if they used the same method of counting as they are doing with Covid.  Also any article you read in the NY Times is subject to being politically slanted to the left. On top of that now we're starting to find out that the CDC might not be all it's cracked up to be. A couple days ago the head of the CDC said "wearing a mask is more effective than a vaccine". Then this morning he's backing away from that statement. Their all over the map. The advice I get from the guy that mows my lawn is just as reliable. 

4 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I was speaking in general terms. We're testing "most" people that die. As opposed to "nobody". I was making a point that flu deaths in the past would be way higher if they used the same method of counting as they are doing with Covid.  Also any article you read in the NY Times is subject to being politically slanted to the left. On top of that now we're starting to find out that the CDC might not be all it's cracked up to be. A couple days ago the head of the CDC said "wearing a mask is more effective than a vaccine". Then this morning he's backing away from that statement. Their all over the map. The advice I get from the guy that mows my lawn is just as reliable. 

Cool Story Bro:

"US deaths during coronavirus outbreak period were 179K higher than usual: report"

https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-deaths-during-coronavirus-outbreak-period-were-179k-higher-usual-report

Not my expertise and I could be 100% wrong but will give my thoughts and opinions.I know about as much as the next coacht scientist,not much.I look at it pretty much like every year, many teams lose a player or two for various reasons and sometimes it cost them a playoff run.On this Covid deal however,I can see where many programs would simply lie about Covid and play on.Once again,I don't know all the rules but would think we could see teams get some big penalties down the road if they get caught .Just guessing some kind of probation or forfeit of games , maybe even a gold ball ? Feel free to correct me .

1 hour ago, guthook said:

Cool Story Bro:

"US deaths during coronavirus outbreak period were 179K higher than usual: report"

https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-deaths-during-coronavirus-outbreak-period-were-179k-higher-usual-report

lol, So you counter with a NY Times "study" reported on Fox News. It's still a NY Times story. A story you would never see if a Democrat was president. My "Cool Story" just happens to be true. I've already pointed out why yours is not.

23 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I know that there is no official answer to this, so I am just thinking out loud, but how are we going to have legitimate playoffs this year, given the situation with the virus? Say that, God forbid, Maryville has to shut it down in the middle of the playoffs due to the virus. Would the team that survived to win Game 15 have any legitimate claim to the title at all? Would it be best to not even attempt to have playoffs this year? 

Are you serious? No Maryville in the playoffs? Thats an absolute sin against God!

MOJO

5 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

Not my expertise and I could be 100% wrong but will give my thoughts and opinions.I know about as much as the next coacht scientist,not much.I look at it pretty much like every year, many teams lose a player or two for various reasons and sometimes it cost them a playoff run.On this Covid deal however,I can see where many programs would simply lie about Covid and play on.Once again,I don't know all the rules but would think we could see teams get some big penalties down the road if they get caught .Just guessing some kind of probation or forfeit of games , maybe even a gold ball ? Feel free to correct me .

Good post.