II-AAA playoff picture

LouPickney

17 hours ago, LouPickney said:

-MUS has a stout red zone defense, but McCallie has a special RB in #5. And presuming McCallie WR #11 is healthy, he will be a major challenge for MUS' secondary. I don't know if WR #11 can be overthrown.

-Likewise, McCallie's secondary will be tested by an Owls passing attack that seemed to really get clicking as the season progressed. MUS beat MBA 49-42 in the semifinals one week after MUS scored more points against Father Ryan (41) than any other team this season.

Here's a preview from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/12/01/blue-cross-bowl-preview-memphis-university-school-vs-mccallie-championship/6463928002/

A dominating performance from McCallie for the second year in a row. MUS looked outmatched early on (at least it looked that way on TV).

LouPickney- what's to be said for MUS throwing 5 picks? McCallie nearly set a record. 

On 12/4/2020 at 8:34 AM, plato said:

A dominating performance from McCallie for the second year in a row. MUS looked outmatched early on (at least it looked that way on TV).

LouPickney- what's to be said for MUS throwing 5 picks? McCallie nearly set a record. 

Congrats to McCallie. In this bizarro year, with a pandemic threatening the season and endless related distractions for everyone, the Blue Tornado repeated as champs.

McCallie will punish you for either forcing passes or being inaccurate. I recognized the names of the players forcing those turnovers from the McCallie game I called last season, and in some cases the 2018 season as well. Multi-year starters with championship experience.

I'm not as familiar with MUS as I've never called one of their games. I was at the 2010 semifinal game at their place, but that was ten years ago.

In the regular season, MUS beat probably the best team JP2 has ever had. The Owls scored 49 points at MBA in the semifinals after scoring 41 at Father Ryan in the quarterfinals. To that end, MUS being shut out was very surprising.

MUS was missing their ace at tight end (a Mizzou commit, just like McCallie RB #5) and an LB who is a commit for Charlotte. Credit the Blue Tornado front seven with getting pressure on MUS QB #11 while also bottling up the Owls running attack.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/12/04/mus-mccallie-tssaa-football-championships-score-game-updates-division-ii-aaa-blue-cross-bowl/6457636002/

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/columns/story/2020/dec/03/wiedmer-flawless-eric-rivers-leads-mccallie-f/537267/

Edited by LouPickney