Round 1 - Cornersville @ Huntingdon

MustangGuru

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

Huntingdon is tough against the run. Really run to the ball well. Pretty physical up front. Pass defense is questionable, though our pass rush is good. I would say a pass heavy team could give us trouble. Offensively we're not nearly as dynamic as the last few Mustang teams. We're gonna pound it on the ground but we can throw it if need be. QB has big arm. This Mustang squad is very young with some question Mark's but I really like this group of kids. They play tough, clean ball. Look forward to playing the Bulldogs. I expect a tough, physical contest.

Thank you @Croppygenius for that preview!  I feel that Cornersville will have to keep the penalties to a minimum and to play top notch.  I know they have players that can play ball.  I just hope they do.  I don't want to see anything like last years postseason.  

You stated that Huntingdon was young.  Sounds like you all will be pretty good for the next few years.  Hopefully you guys will do big things in 2A but here's also to hoping you don't do so well in this years 1st round, lol!  

26 minutes ago, footballover said:

Huntingdon at West Carroll semi finals. Heard it here 1st

Stop West Carroll qb and West Carroll will lose.They have a good team but its they go if he goes.I think LC scored against them just about every possession.LC supposedely gets 2 starters back from last year that's been hurt all season.So from what I read,that helps get other players from playing out of position.West Carroll has some big guys so wouldnt surprise me though.

Edited by mrbigster

2 hours ago, rnorris92 said:

Does anyone give the Dawgs a chance in this game?  Is there anything that they can do to pull an upset as a #4 seed?  I agree with GODAWGS89 that the Dawgs will have to have the backups play a pretty solid game.  So if these backups do, is Huntingdon susceptible to anything?  I have heard that Huntingdon lost a lot of good players from last season but it looks like they have filled in pretty nicely (record wise, haven't actually seen them play in person). So, is there anything that Huntingdon fans feel a little iffy about from their team?

If Huntingdon comes out and opens the play book and spreads it around like they did against Milan, Huntingdon blows them out. If Huntingdon play calling is stubborn like against Bruceton and wants to manhandle Cornersville on offense it may get tight.(We have seen that 2 other times against Cornersville) There is no reason for that. Defense is not a problem. 

2 hours ago, Waker said:

If Huntingdon comes out and opens the play book and spreads it around like they did against Milan, Huntingdon blows them out. If Huntingdon play calling is stubborn like against Bruceton and wants to manhandle Cornersville on offense it may get tight.(We have seen that 2 other times against Cornersville) There is no reason for that. Defense is not a problem. 

You just can’t man handle cornersville, they play hard. Even when they don’t play good football, they play it hard until the very end. That game against Fayetteville city was a golden example of that 

37 minutes ago, InterestingDan said:

I don't think Huntingdon is as good as everyone thinks. Bruceton nearly beat them. Cornersville needs to run the football 95% of the game and control the clock. I have the bulldogs in this one 21-13.

If Cornersville runs it 95% they don’t have a chance. It’s Huntingdon’s strong point. Bruceton did not nearly beat them. Yes Huntingdon only won by 6 but the game never seemed out of hand. Bruceton never moved the ball. Untimely penalties hurt Huntingdon in the Bruceton game. That seems to be taken care of. 
Besides Milan no one has effectively moved the ball up and down the field on this defense.

3 minutes ago, Waker said:

If Cornersville runs it 95% they don’t have a chance. It’s Huntingdon’s strong point. Bruceton did not nearly beat them. Yes Huntingdon only won by 6 but the game never seemed out of hand. Bruceton never moved the ball. Untimely penalties hurt Huntingdon in the Bruceton game. That seems to be taken care of. 
Besides Milan no one has effectively moved the ball up and down the field on this defense.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Bruceton nearly beat Huntingdon doesn't know anything about the game except the final score. Bruceton didn't get the ball past the 50 until the 4th quarter I believe. Huntingdon had several long drives that petered out due to either turnovers or penalties.

It was a very sloppy game. Probably Huntingdon's worst game of the year. But if you dive down into the stat sheet, it wasn't as close as what the score implies.

That being said, there's no doubt Cornersville can beat Huntingdon if they play like that again. But that version of the Mustangs seems to have disappeared at halftime vs Camden. Playing much better ball than they were early in the year.

3 minutes ago, sportsnutz said:

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Bruceton nearly beat Huntingdon doesn't know anything about the game except the final score. Bruceton didn't get the ball past the 50 until the 4th quarter I believe. Huntingdon had several long drives that petered out due to either turnovers or penalties.

It was a very sloppy game. Probably Huntingdon's worst game of the year. But if you dive down into the stat sheet, it wasn't as close as what the score implies.

That being said, there's no doubt Cornersville can beat Huntingdon if they play like that again. But that version of the Mustangs seems to have disappeared at halftime vs Camden. Playing much better ball than they were early in the year.

Would have to agree with those statements from the video we have seen. 

If Huntingdon played Mckenzie in any game besides the first one I believe it would have been a different outcome. They didn’t think Huntingdon would have the correct amount of practices to start the season. Basically spotted Mckenzie 14 points with early fumbles. 
Waverly score 6 points on starting D and 14 points on freshman secondary in the final minutes. 
Collinwood scored 14 on JV in the 4th quarter while playing their starters

Perry Co scored all their points on 2nd, 3rd and 4th team after Huntington's starting team put up 40 in the 1st quarter.

Camden scored 6

Bruceton scored 0

Middleton scored 0

Wayne Co scored 0