Smith County looking for a new Head Coach

kingofthenorth

9 hours ago, DirtyBird18 said:

No, I think wins are more important than rivalries and gates right now. Don’t get me wrong, I love rivalries, but it’s not a rivalry if one team isn’t competitive. If you want to build a program, you better win. The kids walking the hallway don’t care who you beat, but they care if you can’t win. You guys act like you have no idea how this works. Kids don’t want labeled as “losers”, so they would rather walk the hall than play for a program that continues to lose. But you’re right... schedule the local teams, continue to lose, and see what happens to the program. You guys are incredulous and your inability to see beyond the end of your nose is the reason we are where we are. Your desire for things to be the way they used to supersedes the common sense to get back there. 

What are the "winnable" games SC should schedule?

The problem with only scheduling games like that is that it's too often one and done in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, croz6110 said:

What are the "winnable" games SC should schedule?

The problem with only scheduling games like that is that it's too often one and done in the playoffs.

Wasting your time Croz.  Birdman wants wins,, Pad the schedule with winnable games ( whatever that is)  and don't worry about fielding a respectable, quality program. The kids, fans or players aren't smart enough to know the difference, Birdman said he was surrounded by us illiterate idiots anyway.

One thing ole birdie boy hasn't considered, Winnable isn't a quarantined win. You lose winnable games...….now what??  

You know that proud, satisfying, warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment the G-ville faithful  have on the drive back from Byrdstown? That's what he's looking for. 

Little ole G-ville scheduled SC(-TC-H2O-Fayetteville and Coalfield when they could have padded their schedule for possibly more wins. Reckon why they would do such a thing?

You can change the title of this topic or start a new thread. Smith County is not looking for a new coach. CMD will be announced sometime Monday; Tuesday at the latest. Yes, the schedule will be challenging. The team was mostly underclassmen, but all those have had a year's experience. I expect with some quality coaching and the experience of last season, those young men will show improvement. The schedule will include Gordonsville, Trousdale, Westmoreland, and Macon, Dekalb out of region. Can anyone really argue Smith shouldn't play those games? Over the next few years they will win some of those matchups and lose some of them, but if you are wanting to see the program progress, looking for patsies every 2 years is fool's gold. No coach worth having looks for lesser competition. The lessons learned from a hard fought loss are the foundation of the successful ascent, not the pyrite of padding a win column. 

I doubt any of the people in charge of these decisions really care what I think, but it appears that the attempt to change the culture of that program has initiated. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, coachcorey said:

You can change the title of this topic or start a new thread. Smith County is not looking for a new coach. CMD will be announced sometime Monday; Tuesday at the latest. Yes, the schedule will be challenging. The team was mostly underclassmen, but all those have had a year's experience. I expect with some quality coaching and the experience of last season, those young men will show improvement. The schedule will include Gordonsville, Trousdale, Westmoreland, and Macon, Dekalb out of region. Can anyone really argue Smith shouldn't play those games? Over the next few years they will win some of those matchups and lose some of them, but if you are wanting to see the program progress, looking for patsies every 2 years is fool's gold. No coach worth having looks for lesser competition. The lessons learned from a hard fought loss are the foundation of the successful ascent, not the pyrite of padding a win column. 

I doubt any of the people in charge of these decisions really care what I think, but it appears that the attempt to change the culture of that program has initiated. 

Actually the no coach worth having looks for patsies is very wrong when trying to rebuild a struggling program! I know because because I’ve been there and watched many of my colleagues do it. When you’re struggling and especially with participation from inside your hallways you schedule winnable games to increase your numbers. It pans itself out because when you get your program running the way you like it no longer will those teams want to play you anyway but at that point you’ve got a team on the field that can compete at least with the mid tier teams!

• Upvote 3