Let's talk " West Ridge High School Wolves " Sullivan County / Kingsport

kingindian33

11 hours ago, 1OldPatriot said:

This school is taking an ok program and combining it with 2 awful programs. Expectations will be high, win totals low. Any talent up there goes to DB or as the Hill

I think it will come down to coaching and as you said,keeping the talent there.Like they say,"If you build it ".South has gone deep in the playoffs before and just a short time ago,North had a very fine team when an old friends son was the QB over there.Central's feeder school holston has had some great teams and much of the talent went to South ,DB ,TH and so on.So, and not a play on your screen name because you might be an East fan. If they can get a staff like Greeneville and Elizabethton have done,then this could turn into a big powerhouse school like  Jeff county use to be,if they get average coaches,then this will be what Jeff county turned into.There is a bunch of talent every year in Sullivan county,they just need someone that doesn't have their head up their backside to lead them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 1OldPatriot said:

This school is taking an ok program and combining it with 2 awful programs. Expectations will be high, win totals low. Any talent up there goes to DB or as the Hill

A few South volleyball girls came to Boone this year so that may be another option, although I have not heard of any football guys migrating our way.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:04 AM, BatmanDB said:

I think it will come down to coaching and as you said,keeping the talent there.Like they say,"If you build it ".South has gone deep in the playoffs before and just a short time ago,North had a very fine team when an old friends son was the QB over there.Central's feeder school holston has had some great teams and much of the talent went to South ,DB ,TH and so on.So, and not a play on your screen name because you might be an East fan. If they can get a staff like Greeneville and Elizabethton have done,then this could turn into a big powerhouse school like  Jeff county use to be,if they get average coaches,then this will be what Jeff county turned into.There is a bunch of talent every year in Sullivan county,they just need someone that doesn't have their head up their backside to lead them.

Very good thoughts, Bat.  There has indeed been talent in Sullivan Co in the past. Talent alone at South is what took them deep into the playoffs all those years, not coaching.  You are spot on, with the two directions West Ridge could have gone with with their coaching staffs.  Unfortunately, by hiring South AD Richardson as the AD, this put them on the path of the good ole boy modis operandi. Now, as expected, they hired Justin Hilton.  Talk about riding the talent along.  Heck, Carter rode that Colonial Heights talent too, and was smart enough to get off at the right time and go to Science Hill.  All the Rebel alumni will praise the choice on Facebook and Twitter, but they have chosen a path of mediocrity for the unforeseeable future. I'm sure they will pipe in on my little rant here.  Batman, West Ridge won't even be Jeff County, with Hilton and his toadies, they have chosen to be the 6A Volunteer. It's such a shame, as they had the opportunity to avoid that good ole boy stuff. Nope, Richardson and Hilton. Next move:  Hilton bringing his boys along on the staff. 

12 hours ago, Pudding said:

Very good thoughts, Bat.  There has indeed been talent in Sullivan Co in the past. Talent alone at South is what took them deep into the playoffs all those years, not coaching.  You are spot on, with the two directions West Ridge could have gone with with their coaching staffs.  Unfortunately, by hiring South AD Richardson as the AD, this put them on the path of the good ole boy modis operandi. Now, as expected, they hired Justin Hilton.  Talk about riding the talent along.  Heck, Carter rode that Colonial Heights talent too, and was smart enough to get off at the right time and go to Science Hill.  All the Rebel alumni will praise the choice on Facebook and Twitter, but they have chosen a path of mediocrity for the unforeseeable future. I'm sure they will pipe in on my little rant here.  Batman, West Ridge won't even be Jeff County, with Hilton and his toadies, they have chosen to be the 6A Volunteer. It's such a shame, as they had the opportunity to avoid that good ole boy stuff. Nope, Richardson and Hilton. Next move:  Hilton bringing his boys along on the staff. 

Not all Rebel alumni will praise the hire. I agree with most everything in your post. I certainly wasn't expecting a "splash" hire. When South opened In 1980, head coach John Compton and staff did an awesome job of bringing together the two communities of Colonial Heights and Sullivan Gardens and started the football program out on the right foot. If that doesn't happen at West Ridge it will be hard to recover from. Lots of variables, however Batman and you are both spot on in your observations. I have to give Carter credit, he brought South back out of the gutter where it had been ran into. He upgraded the schedule and made South back into a contender. The blue print on how to get over the hump is in Betsy and Greeneville. Will Hilton and whoever he brings in change their style, learn and adapt, keep the talent in zone and develop it correctly? History says no.

Edited by 83SouthRebel
  • Upvote 1

This could change as we get closer to the 2021 season and see what everyone else has,   but here would be a guess as to West Ridge's first season:

@ Volunteer.......(win  1-0)
@ Daniel Boone....(win  2-0)
Science Hill......(loss 2-1)
@ Dobyns-Bennett..(loss 2-2)
@ Cherokee........(win  3-2)
@ William Blount..(loss 3-3)
@ David Crockett..(loss 3-4)
Morristown East...(win  4-4)
Tennessee.........(loss 4-5)
Jefferson County..(win  5-5)

17 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

This could change as we get closer to the 2021 season and see what everyone else has,   but here would be a guess as to West Ridge's first season:

@ Volunteer.......(win  1-0)
@ Daniel Boone....(win  2-0)
Science Hill......(loss 2-1)
@ Dobyns-Bennett..(loss 2-2)
@ Cherokee........(win  3-2)
@ William Blount..(loss 3-3)
@ David Crockett..(loss 3-4)
Morristown East...(win  4-4)
Tennessee.........(loss 4-5)
Jefferson County..(win  5-5)

I don't see this combined Sullivan co team beating Boone this early. I'm going 4-6 at best.  Jenkins is a heck of a coach who plays a murders row schedule.  He gets the most from his players. If he had had the talent that was at South all these years, he would have had more success than Carter and certainly Hilton/Haney. 

29 minutes ago, Pudding said:

I don't see this combined Sullivan co team beating Boone this early. I'm going 4-6 at best.  Jenkins is a heck of a coach who plays a murders row schedule.  He gets the most from his players. If he had had the talent that was at South all these years, he would have had more success than Carter and certainly Hilton/Haney. 

Thanks man but Boone graduates 20 seniors, most of who were our starters and key players, going to be rough next year.