South Pittsburg at Gordonsville

powerp

55 minutes ago, Spfan2011 said:

I’m thinking -18. We have a field goal kicker now

Lol 

Can we stop the deep ball? It's key. Gordonsville quarterback is a gunslinger. He will test the seams. I think we have the horses up front to get pressure while we drop others. Also, I wouldn't mind a spy every now and then because qb can run too.

Edited by powerp

9 minutes ago, powerp said:

Lol 

Can we stop the deep ball? It's key. Gordonsville quarterback is a gunslinger. He will test the seams. I think we have the horses up front to get pressure while we drop others. Also, I wouldn't mind a spy every now and then because qb can run too.

Do they have a 6'4 220lb d1 caliber receiver to throw too? 

1 minute ago, powerp said:

Negative, but we have to be alert off play action especially.  I want to see us come out and play a whole game with intensity and leave no doubt. 

I do agree.   I hope our fans show some intensity Friday as well. I've noticed especially this season that the players really feed off of it.  Friday for a large portion of the game we were as quiet as a church mouse.  Same in the first half of meigs.  I would love to see a loud fired up crowd Friday night.  But yes we need to play a full game like we saw in the third quarter vs meigs.  

So...I made my pick for this game in the Big Ones contest. Showing faith in my boys, I picked Gordonsville for the win.

A whopping 2.5% agreed with me. If my math is correct, that's 1 out of every 40 picks going to the boys in blue. There's very few folks that think Gville will pull it off.

For what it's worth, Sonny Moore has SP as 21 point favorites. 

8 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

So...I made my pick for this game in the Big Ones contest. Showing faith in my boys, I picked Gordonsville for the win.

A whopping 2.5% agreed with me. If my math is correct, that's 1 out of every 40 picks going to the boys in blue. There's very few folks that think Gville will pull it off.

Well there's probably 30 out of that 40 SP fans. I fully expect a typical SP/Gordonsville game. 

4 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

I would not count sp out regardless of who they were playing. I think any passionate fan for any team can relate. That is why the game is played no winners or losers are decided on the T.   Im just ready for the road trip and to watch a good ballgame.   I hope its a great atmosphere Friday night.

28 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Crozy... you’re picking against us? Come on man... You’re typically a man of wisdom. This pick let’s me know you believe Gordonsville has the hosses to win it all this year. 

14 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Crozy... you’re picking against us? Come on man... You’re typically a man of wisdom. This pick let’s me know you believe Gordonsville has the hosses to win it all this year. 

Here's what I know...

SP is crazy good this year in regards to the rest of 1A, but our boys aren't scrubs either. On paper, SP should win,  but these games aren't played on paper, and "any given night..." I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and believe that our players and coaches will put it together.

I feel that we've yet to play our best game. We've started slow against some good teams and spotted them 13 points in a couple of games and still won. I'm choosing to believe our coaches will put together a good gameplan, and our players will execute.

I've coached many of these kids, and I know that they are capable of, they just have to do it. Plus, I have one of my own that will be going up against those big defensive linemen that SP has. I'm not picking against him or his teammates. 

So, yes, I believe we have the hosses to win it all. We just have to execute and maybe catch a few breaks.

It will be a tall order, but in the infinite words of Lloyd Christmas, "so you're saying there's a chance..." Yep, I'm saying there's  a chance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAmbassador said:

4 hours ago, croz6110 said:

Here's what I know...

SP is crazy good this year in regards to the rest of 1A, but our boys aren't scrubs either. On paper, SP should win,  but these games aren't played on paper, and "any given night..." I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and believe that our players and coaches will put it together.

I feel that we've yet to play our best game. We've started slow against some good teams and spotted them 13 points in a couple of games and still won. I'm choosing to believe our coaches will put together a good gameplan, and our players will execute.

I've coached many of these kids, and I know that they are capable of, they just have to do it. Plus, I have one of my own that will be going up against those big defensive linemen that SP has. I'm not picking against him or his teammates. 

So, yes, I believe we have the hosses to win it all. We just have to execute and maybe catch a few breaks.

It will be a tall order, but in the infinite words of Lloyd Christmas, "so you're saying there's a chance..." Yep, I'm saying there's  a chance.

In 1987 everyone was anxiously waiting on the semifinal matchup between South Pittsburg and Greenback. Gordonsville was just the final bump in the road. It was the quarterfinals and we were traveling up there. Everyone was expecting a Pirate victory and our quarterback was asked about it when the Chattanooga news stations came down to conduct interviews about the game. He knew what could happen and made the quote "On any given night...." 

That Friday night at Turney Ford Field was one of the coldest nights that I can remember. Gordonsville went on to demolish us 36-0 proving the old adage "Any given night."

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

As stupid as this is going to sound, the x factor for the game Friday night will be the SP fans. Someone said it earlier, it's a mystery of how our boys flip this switch from looking sluggish to unbeatable when our fans get in it. I can't wait. I may bring speakers in the stands and play the Wyatt remix "Hit 'em in the mouth" or "one time".