Milan vs Pearl Cohn 3A semi-final

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

34 minutes ago, BLACKFRIDAY said:

IF...this game turns into a shootout, who wins?

I doubt this game turns into a shootout. It could but, I highly doubt it.

If however, the game does turn into a shootout I like PC. I did not know much about them going into the week but since I am a football junky I had a friend hook me up with some film so I could see what PC likes to do. 

They are VERY fast, and from the hour or so I looked at film it appears they have some elite looking athletes all over the field. 

However, so does Milan. 

I think the teams are pretty well matched up when it comes to God given stuff. 

Coaching - Milan

Athletes - tie

Home field advantage - Milan

Experience in the playoffs - PC

Defense - Milan

Offense - PC

Special teams - PC, really close

In my honest opinion I believe the winner of this contest is going to be the team that takes care of the football. It is that cut and dry. If either team goes minus 2 or 3 in the turnover margin they are not going to win. 

11 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I doubt this game turns into a shootout. It could but, I highly doubt it.

If however, the game does turn into a shootout I like PC. I did not know much about them going into the week but since I am a football junky I had a friend hook me up with some film so I could see what PC likes to do. 

They are VERY fast, and from the hour or so I looked at film it appears they have some elite looking athletes all over the field. 

However, so does Milan. 

I think the teams are pretty well matched up when it comes to God given stuff. 

Coaching - Milan

Athletes - tie

Home field advantage - Milan

Experience in the playoffs - PC

Defense - Milan

Offense - PC

Special teams - PC, really close

In my honest opinion I believe the winner of this contest is going to be the team that takes care of the football. It is that cut and dry. If either team goes minus 2 or 3 in the turnover margin they are not going to win. 

Hey bro I respect your opinion. Honestly I have not watched PC on special teams this year so I cannot attest to what they can or can’t do in that regard. What about PC on special teams makes you think they have an advantage?  Milan kicker has not missed an extra point all year. Also made two field goals against you guys last week. Punter does a good job. Doesn’t have a huge leg but good for a high school kid. We have returned several kicks this year for td’s. Gave up one against Hardin Co. just curious your thoughts. Maybe some PC guys can chime in. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Hey bro I respect your opinion. Honestly I have not watched PC on special teams this year so I cannot attest to what they can or can’t do in that regard. What about PC on special teams makes you think they have an advantage?  Milan kicker has not missed an extra point all year. Also made two field goals against you guys last week. Punter does a good job. Doesn’t have a huge leg but good for a high school kid. We have returned several kicks this year for td’s. Gave up one against Hardin Co. just curious your thoughts. Maybe some PC guys can chime in. 

Depends on how you look at it. Our kicker hasn’t had to kick a field goal in a few years. Extra point our kicker has missed two the same game with a new holder. Punter is all city and has kicked 50+ . Teams don’t kick deep on us. We haven’t gave a TD up on special-teams. We are pretty good as a special teams unit for the most part. Seems pretty even to me. Even with the list the guy posted posted above I could make a argument about for us. I’m puzzled how people always Criticize our coaching but it is what it is.

Edited by FBfan26

10 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Depends on how you look at it. Our kicker hasn’t had to kick a field goal in a few years. Extra point our kicker has missed two the same game with a new holder. Punter is all city and has kicked 50+ . Teams don’t kick deep.  on us. We haven’t gave a TD up on special-teams. We are pretty good as a special teams unit for the most part. Seems pretty even to me. Even with the list the guy posted posted above I could make a argument about for us. I’m puzzled how people always Criticize our coaching but it is what it is.

Metro coaches have never gotten much credit for coaching ability. Most think metro teams just have a lot of talent. I do think this game will reveal that theory.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Depends on how you look at it. Our kicker hasn’t had to kick a field goal in a few years. Extra point our kicker has missed two the same game with a new holder. Punter is all city and has kicked 50+ . Teams don’t kick deep on us. We haven’t gave a TD up on special-teams. We are pretty good as a special teams unit for the most part. Seems pretty even to me. Even with the list the guy posted posted above I could make a argument about for us. I’m puzzled how people always Criticize our coaching but it is what it is.

22 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Right!! Especially when you say that you know nothing about PC. That's BS from the start!!! 

13 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Metro coaches have never gotten much credit for coaching ability. Most think metro teams just have a lot of talent. I do think this game will reveal that theory.

I have the upmost respect for Brunetti and what he has accomplished. His coaching record speaks for itself. We have a good young one now in Diffee and having a hall of fame coach like Morris still on staff is big late in the playoffs. That may be what the previous poster was thinking. I personally think most all areas for these two teams are pretty even. I was just intrigued by the special teams comment because the semi game with PC and Covington last year came down to special teams. Can’t overlook the importance of that. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

38 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I have the upmost respect for Brunetti and what he has accomplished. His coaching record speaks for itself. We have a good young one now in Diffee and having a hall of fame coach like Morris still on staff is big late in the playoffs. That may be what the previous poster was thinking. I personally think most all areas for these two teams are pretty even. I was just intrigued by the special teams comment because the semi game with PC and Covington last year came down to special teams. Can’t overlook the importance of that. 

We respect everyone's opinion, but you can't make a check list off 1 hour tho. Yes special teams are important around this time of year.

10 minutes ago, fb247 said:

It's insane to not give a coach this successful his due for his accomplishments.  

Tony Brunetti began his teaching/coaching career in the fall of 1997 at Cheatham County Central High School.  He was there for 5 years and still lives in Ashland City to this day.

Overall Coach Brunetti is currently on year number 24 as an educator in Tennessee.  Let's say for just a moment that God continues to bless him and his family and that he remains the head football coach at Pearl-Cohn for the next 6 years through the 2026 high school football season.    Looking at the numbers we are talking about a head football coach with a realistic opportunity at winning 200 games as a head football coach at one stop before he decides to call it a career.  There cannot be much more than 50 coaches in the history of Tennessee High School Football (all classes) to ever say that they've reached the 200 win plateau.  That's an incredible accomplishment should he get there.  

Coach Brunetti has done an incredible job at Pearl-Cohn.  Anyone who disputes that is simply misinformed.  The numbers do not lie.

• 132-58 Overall Record in 15 years (2006-2020)
  • 10x Region/District Championships
  • 2x State Runner-Up
  • 8x State Semifinals
  • 10x State Quarterfinals

He took the job in February of 2006 following the resignation of legendary head football coach Maurice Fitzgerald in December of 2005.  Brunetti served as an assistant coach on Maurice's staff for 4 years (2002-2005).  Coach Fitzgerald's resume is just as impressive.

• 104-89 Overall Record at Pearl-Cohn in 17 years (1989-2005)
  • 44-23 Overall Record at Stratford (2015-2016) and Hillsboro (2017-2020) the last 6 years
  • 148-112 Overall Record in 23 years
  • 4x Region/District Championships at PC; 6x Overall including SHS & HHS
  • 2x State Championships (1996 & 1997)
  • 2x State Semifinals 
  • 3x State Quarterfinals at PC; 4x Overall including HHS

Golden Rule #1 as a head coaching candidate if you want to give yourself the best opportunity possible to have a long, successful career:

"Don't be the man that succeeds THE MAN.  If you want to succeed the man that succeeded THE MAN then by all means go right ahead.  Taking on the task of trying to succeed THE MAN often times leads to impossible expectations and can have catastrophic results."

Need Proof?  Who was Jeff Morris' successor at Milan?  

I would say that Coach Brunetti has done a great job of following in the footsteps of THE MAN as far as football at Pearl-Cohn is concerned.  You can ask coaches on his staff.  You can ask people in the stands.  You can ask people across the board in Metro.  They'll all tell you that Maurice Fitzgerald was THE MAN at Pearl-Cohn.  Those 1996 and 1997 State Championship seasons will live on forever at Pearl-Cohn.  Honestly the 1997 team (I know they were 14-1) is still in my opinion the greatest defensive high school football team to ever step between the lines in Tennessee high school football history.  They had Division I talent all over the place.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1