Dobyns Bennett 2021 season

Tribefan98

14 minutes ago, strongx said:

I agree. If it was that bad, he should’ve asked the A.D. to remove them. The only thing I heard that was yelled was “get the play in” when the TO had to be called. After reading some of the criticisms, there was probably other stuff. I wasn’t really listening for any of that. But after the kid turned and started lecturing the fans with a curse filled rant, I started listening a little more. Lol.

I will let it go after this: I was once told that when people leave a youth game talking about something and adult did, then the adult probably did something wrong. I’ve been there and done it before, but I was wrong. Instead of remembering what great effort the Db kids gave, those of us in earshot will remember something else.

Db has a great program and the players on the field represented well. Best of luck to the Indians and maybe we can meet again in 2021 - WITHOUT THE COVID!!

Yeah,I've played and I'm a fan.Never had much respect for folks that yelled and carried on.It doesn't do anything but make the person look foolish.But again,Like on here.There are alot of HEAD COACHES in the stands.LOL

2 hours ago, strongx said:

I agree. If it was that bad, he should’ve asked the A.D. to remove them. The only thing I heard that was yelled was “get the play in” when the TO had to be called. After reading some of the criticisms, there was probably other stuff. I wasn’t really listening for any of that. But after the kid turned and started lecturing the fans with a curse filled rant, I started listening a little more. Lol.

I will let it go after this: I was once told that when people leave a youth game talking about something and adult did, then the adult probably did something wrong. I’ve been there and done it before, but I was wrong. Instead of remembering what great effort the Db kids gave, those of us in earshot will remember something else.

Db has a great program and the players on the field represented well. Best of luck to the Indians and maybe we can meet again in 2021 - WITHOUT THE COVID!!

I agree it’s time to let this topic go.  We’ve all yelled from the stands, more so at the tv when things aren’t going well.  You’ve got 99% of your fans 40 ft behind yelling support on every down, doing everything they can to lift spirit, inspire confidence and let team know they are living and dying along with them on every snap.  Along comes uncle festus and he assumes it’s his job to let the staff know the importance of getting play calls in timely, as if they were losing focus, not realizing the importance of a 3rd rd game at defending champion Maryville’s field.  At the Fred, there are plenty asst coaches that yell from higher up out of sideline range, few would stand alongside the team and make those observations.  Bad timing, location awareness on his part.  What’s more important is the incredible outpouring of team support and appreciation shown by this community in the last 36 hrs.  Why you say?  DB has 50 conf titles in 100 yrs, been to the playoffs before?  It’s because of the way these seniors went about their business for 4 yrs and fixed a slumping program that means so much to Kingsport.  They have shown a path, a model that hopefully will be followed for years to come.  They are an impressive group.  Thanks for well wishes, would be privileged to meet again next year.

1 minute ago, Gradfan56 said:You’ve got 99% of your fans 40 ft behind yelling support on every down, doing everything they can to lift spirit, inspire confidence and let team know they are living and dying along with them on every snap.  Along comes uncle festus and he assumes it’s his job to let the staff know the importance of getting play calls in timely, as if they were losing focus, not realizing the importance of a 3rd rd game at defending champion Maryville’s field.  At the Fred, there are plenty asst coaches that yell from higher up out of sideline range, few would stand alongside the team and make those observations. 

The close confines of Jim Renfro Field exacerbate the problem.

A lot of us old timers from Maryville's connection with Kingsport Dobyns Bennett was one of your old coaches Ted Wilson who was our coach before leaving Maryville. Coach Wilson is still around but getting older and we still see him from time to time at ballgames. I know D-B is still dear to his heart because I sat with him at a game just a couple years ago and he constantly wanted to know the score of youralls game. Coach Wilson told me one time that one of the things he really liked about D-B was that they provided him with a large staff of coaches unlike what he had at Maryville. After he left it took 18 years to get back to respectability for Maryville Football to be at the State Championship level again thanks to Tim Hammontree and George Quarles but Coach Wilson was the man who really got the ball rolling back in the 60's. To me that is our common bond with D-B for getting a chance to each share a Hall of Fame Coach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

A lot of us old timers from Maryville's connection with Kingsport Dobyns Bennett was one of your old coaches Ted Wilson who was our coach before leaving Maryville. Coach Wilson is still around but getting older and we still see him from time to time at ballgames. I know D-B is still dear to his heart because I sat with him at a game just a couple years ago and he constantly wanted to know the score of youralls game. Coach Wilson told me one time that one of the things he really liked about D-B was that they provided him with a large staff of coaches unlike what he had at Maryville. After he left it took 18 years to get back to respectability for Maryville Football to be at the State Championship level again thanks to Tim Hammontree and George Quarles but Coach Wilson was the man who really got the ball rolling back in the 60's. To me that is our common bond with D-B for getting a chance to each share a Hall of Fame Coach.

Great post!    Interesting that we are always told on here that DB has had the facilities, talent level, etc. but what they lacked was a top notch coach.     Any idea why Wilson was never able to win a state title at DB?

Just a thought. We have former College  great players working with our secondary and line at DB.It would be nice between now and next season if they could have a couple of football camps for " just " those players at Robinson and Sevier who want to play defensive back at DB.Plus,any other times they could work with them. Wouldn't hurt to let big Ty have a few camps with the future big boys from both schools.Maybe by the time they get to DB,they wouldn't hold twenty yards behind the play.I watched many of the Robinson practices when my kids came up and thought  the coaches done a great job but with so few coaching so many,they were limited in how much individual work they could do.Just a thought and maybe it's already being done .Also,maybe if coach Christian could bring in all the little league and middle school coaches  and put them through a coaching camp.I know some are already good but a few probably only know their sons name and he is their teams QB.

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I couldn't agree more , I've actually said this on the T for years too . Most Maryville fans I know respect and admire DB because of the Coach Wilson Connection . I will always pull for DB except when they're playing against us . Us Old timers respect Oak Ridge also just because of their tradition and history , but there will always be a special connection between Maryville and DB because of Coach Wilson ... Barney is right ... Coach Wilson is the Man who put Maryville high school on the road to being a Football powerhouse .