Dobyns Bennett 2021 season

Tribefan98

3 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

Just a thought. We have former College  great players working with our secondary and line at DB.It would be nice between now and next season if they could have a couple of football camps for " just " those players at Robinson and Sevier who want to play defensive back at DB.Plus,any other times they could work with them. Wouldn't hurt to let big Ty have a few camps with the future big boys from both schools.Maybe by the time they get to DB,they wouldn't hold twenty yards behind the play.I watched many of the Robinson practices when my kids came up and thought  the coaches done a great job but with so few coaching so many,they were limited in how much individual work they could do.Just a thought and maybe it's already being done .Also,maybe if coach Christian could bring in all the little league and middle school coaches  and put them through a coaching camp.I know some are already good but a few probably only know their sons name and he is their teams QB.

3 Classes made it tough to win  back then. After Ted left Maryville they still won over 75% of their games. 

NOTE: I quoted the wrong post. This was a reply to the little d b fan.

Edited by Red Rebels

7 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

Just a thought. We have former College  great players working with our secondary and line at DB.It would be nice between now and next season if they could have a couple of football camps for " just " those players at Robinson and Sevier who want to play defensive back at DB.Plus,any other times they could work with them. Wouldn't hurt to let big Ty have a few camps with the future big boys from both schools.Maybe by the time they get to DB,they wouldn't hold twenty yards behind the play.I watched many of the Robinson practices when my kids came up and thought  the coaches done a great job but with so few coaching so many,they were limited in how much individual work they could do.Just a thought and maybe it's already being done .Also,maybe if coach Christian could bring in all the little league and middle school coaches  and put them through a coaching camp.I know some are already good but a few probably only know their sons name and he is their teams QB.

What Batman said. Early on coaching is where DB is missing it. But of course we've been saying it for years now. There's just no way that DB can put quality players all over the field but can't come up with a defensive back that's even average. And there's no way Gaines is that bad of a coach. No, I'm not downing the players. It's been this way for 20 plus years. I can just about count the number of good defensive backs that have come through DB in the past 20 years on one hand. And those were the type players that didn't need coaching. What would this team have looked like with just a average secondary this year?  Two things they need to do moving forward #1 build a secondary, #2 cut out all the stupid penalties. They've got everything else figured out. 

Don't know the exact order or where they're being played but here are the opponents for Dobyns-Bennett in 2021:

Tennessee High, Volunteer, Morristown East, David Crockett, Greeneville, Jefferson County, West Ridge, William Blount, Oak Ridge, Science Hill 

William Blount, Oak Ridge and Science Hill are all in the correct order, games 8, 9 and 10. And WB and OR are both away. That I do know. So two straight weeks of long travel next season then. 

Well, things have changed. But what?

Before the DB v Maryville game I posted a projected score that was lopsided in Maryville's favor. Of course it was really my card reader's projection.

I felt a little bad after the game that the projection was so far off. Then I remembered what I had noticed the last two years. Maryville ain't the Maryville of 3 or 4 years ago. That machine like precision was gone last year.

So apparently it's worse this year. After the game Friday night that is obvious. But not really a huge surprise.

Now no put down on DB or Maryville. Both are great teams - relatively speaking.   But not Oakland capable teams.

After the Maryville game there were a lot of puffed up chests on the DB side. Mine included until I pondered it.  How about now after the Oakland game? Was there really a huge improvement at DB as "proven" by the DB Maryville score? From my perspective DB has simply improved to where they were 20 years ago - pre Clark decline. Still nowhere near Maryville in a normal year. Chests crushed! Poor ole player daddy. Sorry. If he hadn't had such a mouth I wouldn't have mentioned it.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

What Batman said. Early on coaching is where DB is missing it. But of course we've been saying it for years now. There's just no way that DB can put quality players all over the field but can't come up with a defensive back that's even average. And there's no way Gaines is that bad of a coach. No, I'm not downing the players. It's been this way for 20 plus years. I can just about count the number of good defensive backs that have come through DB in the past 20 years on one hand. And those were the type players that didn't need coaching. What would this team have looked like with just a average secondary this year?  Two things they need to do moving forward #1 build a secondary, #2 cut out all the stupid penalties. They've got everything else figured out. 

Well I think you are the man for that job Waco get those boy’s coaches up 

17 hours ago, DBGRAD70 said:

Well, things have changed. But what?

Before the DB v Maryville game I posted a projected score that was lopsided in Maryville's favor. Of course it was really my card reader's projection.

I felt a little bad after the game that the projection was so far off. Then I remembered what I had noticed the last two years. Maryville ain't the Maryville of 3 or 4 years ago. That machine like precision was gone last year.

So apparently it's worse this year. After the game Friday night that is obvious. But not really a huge surprise.

Now no put down on DB or Maryville. Both are great teams - relatively speaking.   But not Oakland capable teams.

After the Maryville game there were a lot of puffed up chests on the DB side. Mine included until I pondered it.  How about now after the Oakland game? Was there really a huge improvement at DB as "proven" by the DB Maryville score? From my perspective DB has simply improved to where they were 20 years ago - pre Clark decline. Still nowhere near Maryville in a normal year. Chests crushed! Poor ole player daddy. Sorry. If he hadn't had such a mouth I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I think watching DB run the ball on Maryville,we all knew two things.DB is better then they have been in a while and Maryville is not as strong as most years.I've said it a thousand times,even if you're fortunate enough to get past Maryville ( and nobody in the East has done it in this century )  ,there are atleast two more teams that will present a whole different kind of challenge most years. That said,all you can do is what DB is trying to do.If they can get the youth programs to where it's much more then Joe blows kid padding the stats and continue some of the other  changes.I have to say that there are a lot of fine people in the community that have gave a lot of their time over the years even if they didn't have a kid on the team.He might not appreciate it but one such person when my youngest was coming up was  Blake Leeper's dad,Billy. I remember he coached and had his whole family  there and he didn't even have a little  one on that youth basketball team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

DB is better than the other big (5A/6A) NET schools, but I don't think they will ever be more than what you saw this year.     NET is not serious about football like they are in Knox County and beyond.

I don't know of any Knox County team that DB can't handle most years. It's Blount County we have a problem with. Which is the same county the rest of the state has trouble with. Blount County is who we need to focus on. In years past people kept saying we just don't have the athletes in NET to compete with the Knoxville area. Now Greeneville and Elizabethton have blown that excuse out of the water. They both built a ground up system and placed really good coaches from little leagues to high schools. This year DB was one secondary away from making it to the final four. I do think their serious about it at DB but they have a lot of work to do. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bts-115-zack-fleming-dobyns-bennett-high-school-tn/id1389418147?i=1000500916701

Saw this on Facebook, our strength coach interviewed on a Strength Coaching Podcast that shows some of things he is doing in the weight room to get our kids better, if you have an hour and are interested in this stuff. Give it a listen. Really opened my eyes to what goes on behind the scenes. Zack Fleming does a great job with our athletes

Edited by DBKPT93

Strength and conditioning has came a million miles over the last two or three generations.You take kids today on up through highschool.If they are not just a natural God given talent with speed ,size and strength,it makes a world of difference having someone working with them  who knows what they are doing in the strength and conditioning field.No doubt that helped a couple of other local schools to state championships and that's huge for DB to be able to compete for championships.

15 minutes ago, BatmanDB said:

Strength and conditioning has came a million miles over the last two or three generations.You take kids today on up through highschool.If they are not just a natural God given talent with speed ,size and strength,it makes a world of difference having someone working with them  who knows what they are doing in the strength and conditioning field.No doubt that helped a couple of other local schools to state championships and that's huge for DB to be able to compete for championships.

I totally agree, but I the end you still have to have the guys with the right DNA.    Boone's S&C coach can smoke anybody in this state, he is a champion powerlifter, yet Boone regularly turns out average football guys.     For some reason there seems to be a lot of good DNA in and around Blount Co....

7 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bts-115-zack-fleming-dobyns-bennett-high-school-tn/id1389418147?i=1000500916701

Saw this on Facebook, our strength coach interviewed on a Strength Coaching Podcast that shows some of things he is doing in the weight room to get our kids better, if you have an hour and are interested in this stuff. Give it a listen. Really opened my eyes to what goes on behind the scenes. Zack Fleming does a great job with our athletes

Zach Fleming is a great strength coach and an even better person.  I hung out with Zach when he was playing football at Carson Newman.  He was a great DB player with a motor that never stopped!!!