TSSAA Shutting it Down!

WaReAgLe3

13 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Not sure if they do or not but I am very surprised that they are allowing Wrestling.  I would think of all the sports that wrestling would be the most risky for kids.

Not at all.  Excerpt from a good article on this.

"After careful analysis, it's clear that wrestling is unique and can be conducted more safely than other popular sports. This counterintuitive conclusion may be surprising at first, but it's easy to understand. Although wrestling features extensive physical contact, other critical considerations significantly reduce risk.

This conclusion is reached by objectively assessing risk in two major ways. First, what is the physical proximity of teammates and opponents during competition? How well can social distancing be maintained?

Second, how many persons would face exposure from an asymptomatic athlete? In other words, what is the risk of an outbreak involving large numbers of people?

It's the second risk factor that is extremely favorable for wrestling since it's the only individual sport on the list. In a dual meet, for example, a wrestler comes in contact with just one person. Even if he/she warms up with a teammate (which isn't even essential), the potential spread from an asymptomatic person is extremely limited. This is in stark contrast to the other sports.

In addition, since public health officials continue to advocate enhanced cleaning and handwashing, it seems evident the virus can be transmitted by touching balls, equipment, or playing surfaces. Once again, wresting is unique because there are no balls or equipment. Even mats can be cleaned after each match (try doing that on artificial turf!)."

2 hours ago, mat73557 said:

Not at all.  Excerpt from a good article on this.

"After careful analysis, it's clear that wrestling is unique and can be conducted more safely than other popular sports. This counterintuitive conclusion may be surprising at first, but it's easy to understand. Although wrestling features extensive physical contact, other critical considerations significantly reduce risk.

This conclusion is reached by objectively assessing risk in two major ways. First, what is the physical proximity of teammates and opponents during competition? How well can social distancing be maintained?

Second, how many persons would face exposure from an asymptomatic athlete? In other words, what is the risk of an outbreak involving large numbers of people?

It's the second risk factor that is extremely favorable for wrestling since it's the only individual sport on the list. In a dual meet, for example, a wrestler comes in contact with just one person. Even if he/she warms up with a teammate (which isn't even essential), the potential spread from an asymptomatic person is extremely limited. This is in stark contrast to the other sports.

In addition, since public health officials continue to advocate enhanced cleaning and handwashing, it seems evident the virus can be transmitted by touching balls, equipment, or playing surfaces. Once again, wresting is unique because there are no balls or equipment. Even mats can be cleaned after each match (try doing that on artificial turf!)."

I guess I was thinking that if 1 wrestler has I think and wrestles on the mat then everyone that wrestles after him would be exposed.  Not possible to clean the mat after every match cause it takes 10-15 minutes to dry.   Either way I am glad those guys are getting to wrestle.  They work hard

On 12/5/2020 at 7:50 AM, District12AA said:

From East to West the same rumor is circulating. After the TSSAA makes their money this weekend, there is not anything holding them back from making this decision. What worries me is if they delay it for a a couple weeks does indoor sports ever start back up?

Nothing holding them back?? If they try to shut it down without a government executive order, I hope they get sued in droves. I know people on the TSSAA board real well and nothing has come out of their meetings to shut winter sports down. You guys are spreading false rumors and are a big part of the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Nothing holding them back?? If they try to shut it down without a government executive order, I hope they get sued in droves. I know people on the TSSAA board real well and nothing has come out of their meetings to shut winter sports down. You guys are spreading false rumors and are a big part of the problem. 

What would someone sue on the basis of? 
I would love to hear this. Someone could sue but they might as well burn the money they would be spending on lawyers.

29 minutes ago, District12AA said:

What would someone sue on the basis of? 
I would love to hear this. Someone could sue but they might as well burn the money they would be spending on lawyers.

People get sued every day for less. So you think these clowns at TSSAA are going to shut it down without government approval of an executive order?? I don’t believe it and neither does board members.

Just now, pioneer42 said:

People get sued every day for less. So you think these clowns at TSSAA are going to shut it down without government approval of an executive order?? I don’t believe it and neither does board members.

You didn’t answer my question. On what grounds would they sue? 

I have spoken to multiple TSSAA officials across the state and there have been discussions and it is well within their jurisdiction to do so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Also ask yourself why less than two months from the TSSAA state wrestling tournament there has been no plans made for the tournament.